Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463411 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2075 on: 14 February, 2018, 04:10:26 pm »
Just back from the ophthalmo, irises dilated to the size of manhole covers and everything in a fog. Being driven home, straight into the sun, was murder. Trouble is that the secy/nurse didn't know me and didn't believe me when I said I was very sensitive to mydriaticum, so she put in enough to drown a quart of gin.

Anyway, my retinae are fine despite > 35 years of diabetes, ditto internal pressure, but the capsule enclosing the left lens is becoming cloudy from the extreme left in.  Going back in a couple of weeks to have holes punched in it with a laser, whereafter I'll have cinders floating in my vitreous humour till the end of my puff. I already have that on the right and it's not a bother. Although at times I seem to have the odd fly keeping station off to the side, they don't stay there long.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2076 on: 14 February, 2018, 10:57:29 pm »
I've had to postpone my appointment twice now - bloody clients!  Usually Feb is a decent month for this kind of thing, but this year has gone stupid.

I always ride there and stress to them no eye drops, not required, never have been, perfect photos every time.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2077 on: 15 February, 2018, 09:14:49 am »
The ophthalmo told me afterwards that next time he has a peek at the retina they wouldn't dilate.  I got on well with him. My previous ophthalmo's manner was like the ageing school-teacher I had when I was 5 - the one who always kept a cane standing in the corner.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2078 on: 23 February, 2018, 03:11:46 pm »
Back from the laser-wielding eye-popping ophthalmo's den with my eye running over, he having cut away the offending membrane in my left ocular with a few deft zaos.  The iris is still a bit over-dilated so things are still somewhat hazy, but I can already see much more clearly in the left periphery than I could before.  No cinders visible yet, but it took a while for them to appear when he did the other eye a couple of years ago. No gas bubbles either, which is disappointing - they were quite entertaining last time.

Bloody marvellous, what they can do these days. 50 years ago I'd have been looking at open-eye operations with 50-50 chances of success. Chuffed, me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2079 on: 25 February, 2018, 12:50:00 am »
Just come across this from the director of Public Health England.
It's a long, moving read.
https://www.hippocraticpost.com/ageing/incurable-lung-cancer-phe-director/

« Reply #2080 on: 25 February, 2018, 09:04:09 am »
Very moving. Raw honesty - and particularly the bits about doctors often accepting fewer treatments.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2081 on: 25 February, 2018, 09:50:38 am »
The final paragraph is marvellous.

(click to show/hide)

I'm approaching the age at which my father died, of essentially the same maladies as those from which I suffer.  I often contemplate the fact that I may have no more than 5 or 6 years left, maybe less.  Obviously I hope for more but, like Cosford, I feel the stronger for facing it and it doesn't worry me.

I hope he has more time than he expects.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2082 on: 25 February, 2018, 11:06:39 am »
Have you read Atul Gawande's "Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End".

It covers a lot of the same themes including balancing 'aggressive treatment' with quality of life preserving treatment and how sometimes people who withdraw from treatment actually live better and longer than expected.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2083 on: 28 February, 2018, 04:34:49 pm »
This article seems to confuse visceral and subcutaneous fat.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43225477

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2084 on: 28 February, 2018, 04:55:42 pm »
Have you read Atul Gawande's "Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End".

It covers a lot of the same themes including balancing 'aggressive treatment' with quality of life preserving treatment and how sometimes people who withdraw from treatment actually live better and longer than expected.

No, I haven't read it.  After 37 years of diabetes it's suspected that multiple microlesions in the brain are causing my short-term memory to deteriorate, which makes reading anything instructive a bit too challenging.  Long sentences in French are also a problem; I've been trying to read Zola on the 1870 war in Alsace, and while he doesn't compare with Henry James, the beginnings of his long sentences with multiple subordinate clauses tend to disappear over the horizon before I reach the full stop.

As it happens, though, my doc is totally against trying to drive figures for e.g. blood sugar right down into the normal range if they're not egregious and if I'm exercising  frequently and feel fine.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2085 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:09:28 am »
your insulin can get too cold as well as too hot  :demon:

Drove to Birmingham on Sunday, with my luggage sat in the car outside a restaurant for 2 hours, then drove down to Farnham.  Tuesday was cancelled so my luggage sat in the car again outside the offices all day until I drove home again.  Spare insulin was in the luggage and got used on Tuesday.  Blood glucose then went screwy for the last three days (8/9/10 vs more normal 5-8).  Changed everything again yesterday including fresh insulin and seems to be back to normal again, although I'm noticing the lack of aerobic exercise at the moment.  Will get out for a run this afternoon - SNO has largely passed by CB6
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2086 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:48:49 am »
your insulin can get too cold as well as too hot  :demon:

Pastis is like that too.

« Reply #2087 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:33:37 am »
Boil on my nose is making me look like a dipsomaniac Rudolph...  >:(  Feeling very taut and hurty - would be feeling quite tempted to lance it if there were any indication of a 'head', but alas...
Jeez, have I really had that boil for a month?  Just clearing up now...  It rather charmingly decided to explode over my face a little while ago and Mrs Legs extricated a gigantic ingrowing hair from the wound which was seemingly causing the problem.

« Reply #2088 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:40:19 am »
Oh ingrowing hairs are a major hassle.

They don't shave before operating these days and if you are hairy you get many entrapped hairs in surgical wound (and if you have a cast, many many hairs start growing under the skin).

I spent hours picking and pulling hairs out of the cut on my arm. Some were a couple of inches long and only a tiny bit sticking out. TMI?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2089 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:26:11 am »
Tooth abscess began to shrink as soon as I bought the amoxicillin & yeast but before ingesting any. Decided to take the course anyway in case it's just backing up for a fresh start, like the tertian ague.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2090 on: 06 March, 2018, 03:12:30 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2091 on: 06 March, 2018, 04:45:26 pm »
Robespierre & C° had a rather more radical solution for anyone who was a headache.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2092 on: 08 March, 2018, 10:02:43 am »
Well that's confusing!
I received a reminder text from NHS Fife, saying my appointment is 3pm on Monday 12th March.

Appointment letter says 4pm, Monday 12th March!

So i have phoned the hospital, and according to dermatology receptionist I'm booked in for both 3 and 4pm!!!

I have asked for clarification, as I'd need to finish work earlier to be able to attend the 3pm appointment. But seeing as the hospital does not have my notes yet (referral appointment was at the Victoria Hospital Kirkcaldy, the biopsy is getting done at the Queen Margaret hospital Dunfermline) they need to wait until they get them to see if i actually need a 2 hour appointment or whatnot.

So i should get a return call later on today or tomorrow...

??? :facepalm:
I'm glad i phoned though, I'd have hated to turn up at 4pm, only to be turned away due to my appointment being at 3pm. I just want this fecking biopsy done, so I can find out what is going on with my gammy lug. :'(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2093 on: 08 March, 2018, 11:27:21 am »
Tooth abscess gone but keeping on to the end of antibiotics course, of course, yet feeling like shit warmed up on a shovel. Sunny day & 10°C but don't feel like a ride. :(

« Reply #2094 on: 08 March, 2018, 04:57:03 pm »
Has this been mentioned anywhere?
How exercise in old age prevents the immune system from declining: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43308729
I think some members of this forum must have been involved?

BrianI

« Reply #2095 on: 09 March, 2018, 04:32:45 pm »
Well that's confusing!
I received a reminder text from NHS Fife, saying my appointment is 3pm on Monday 12th March.

Appointment letter says 4pm, Monday 12th March!

So i have phoned the hospital, and according to dermatology receptionist I'm booked in for both 3 and 4pm!!!

I have asked for clarification, as I'd need to finish work earlier to be able to attend the 3pm appointment. But seeing as the hospital does not have my notes yet (referral appointment was at the Victoria Hospital Kirkcaldy, the biopsy is getting done at the Queen Margaret hospital Dunfermline) they need to wait until they get them to see if i actually need a 2 hour appointment or whatnot.

So i should get a return call later on today or tomorrow...

??? :facepalm:
I'm glad i phoned though, I'd have hated to turn up at 4pm, only to be turned away due to my appointment being at 3pm. I just want this fecking biopsy done, so I can find out what is going on with my gammy lug. :'(

Received a voice message today, to clarify that the appointment is at 4pm, and to apologise for any confusion! 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2096 on: 11 March, 2018, 09:38:51 am »
Mrs T42 mentions the plight of a US running chum of hers who came down hard on ice about a month back and forbore to go to the doctors because of cost, insurance etc. and had been hobbling since.  It finally got too painful so she went on Friday. Double sacral fracture.

BrianI

« Reply #2097 on: 12 March, 2018, 07:50:45 pm »
I had my biopsy today, just a small nick to remove the scab, and a couple of sutures. So not nearly as bad as I expected!

Stitches out in 9 days time (no appointments with the practice nurse until then), and results of the biopsy in 6 to 8 weeks time.   :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2098 on: 13 March, 2018, 08:25:07 am »
6 to 8 weeks is a hell of a wait. Bon courage.

« Reply #2099 on: 13 March, 2018, 08:48:56 am »
For the fortnight before we went on The Bloody Cruise to Norway I had a cold/chest infection, during The Bloody Cruise to Norway I was alternately sea sick, sniffly (air conditioning) or frozen stiff, now I'm back from The Bloody Cruise to Norway I've got another cold/chest infection.
Six weeks of feeling rough. Will it ever end?
(No, I didn't enjoy our cruise to see the Northern Lights)

Sent from my P01W using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.