Author Topic: BONG ..And Here is the Not News..BONG  (Read 162231 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: BONG ..And Here is the Not News..BONG
« Reply #1075 on: 25 March, 2024, 11:14:16 pm »
Wait! So he ^ is the Duke of Edinburgh now? So how come the D of E kids are still yomping under rain clouds rather than treading the boards?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1076 on: 26 March, 2024, 09:04:28 am »
Wait! So he ^ is the Duke of Edinburgh now? So how come the D of E kids are still yomping under rain clouds rather than treading the boards?
Treading the boards has always been an option for DofE participants although the yomping was never optional
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1077 on: 26 March, 2024, 05:31:59 pm »
I do wish slebs wouldn't get photographed spoffling assistance dogs, as it confuses teh proles into thinking they can just spoffle every assistance dog going, often without consent, or indeed after being asked NOT to by the handler.

« Reply #1078 on: 26 March, 2024, 05:44:38 pm »
BONG! Woman rides recumbent in impractical shoes BONG!
I'm advised (I seem to recall by Auntie Helen OTP) that riding that particular configuration of recumbent whilst not clipped in ( I was having a go on her trike while she was on my Van Nic) can result in breakages to the leg which are Very Difficult To Repair Successfully. (I seem to recall we swapped shoes as well as bikes at the time to overcome the Look/SPD cleat disparity)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1079 on: 26 March, 2024, 06:17:34 pm »
BONG! Woman rides recumbent in impractical shoes BONG!
I'm advised (I seem to recall by Auntie Helen OTP) that riding that particular configuration of recumbent whilst not clipped in ( I was having a go on her trike while she was on my Van Nic) can result in breakages to the leg which are Very Difficult To Repair Successfully. (I seem to recall we swapped shoes as well as bikes at the time to overcome the Look/SPD cleat disparity)

Leg suck.  Worse on trikes because sturdy X-member immediately behind your leg.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1080 on: 26 March, 2024, 06:51:29 pm »
Recumbent leg suck, as M. Le Maire says. Not fun.

I am paranoid about letting people test my trike without the correct shoes - I make them wear my spd sandals.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1081 on: 26 March, 2024, 07:19:04 pm »
Yep.  I've bashed my heel on the front wheel of my Streetmachine on a several of occasions due to failure to clip in while giving it the beans uphill at a junction, which is merely painful.  Obviously that's less of an issue with a trike, as you can just stay clipped in the whole time.

I've experienced the trike version once while pootling round the block in Inappropriate Shoes to test some fettle or other.  No drama due to low speed, but it was enough to persuade me that it's worth going and getting some SPD shoes for, even if you just want to check the brakes aren't rubbing or whatever.

Always makes me cringe to see junior pedal car riders with the unholy combination of  a) flat pedals  b) 170mm cranks  c) no floor.  Fortunately they tend not to have a structural member in that position, and the weight:power ratio combined with cumulative frictional losses serve to limit the momentum involved.  And they tend to be racing on half-decent tarmac and mashing in high gears, so less chance of losing a pedal in the first place.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1085 on: Yesterday at 01:04:17 pm »
Just another Brexit bonus it would seem.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1086 on: Yesterday at 03:36:56 pm »
Just another Brexit bonus it would seem.

Despite the media linking it to Brexit, it's nothing to do with Brexit.  The lifetime of passports is set by international treaty and was amended for all countries some years ago. 

Ask most people about the various rules that apply to passports (e.g. the six month rule or blank page requirements) and they'll give you a blank stare...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1087 on: Yesterday at 08:33:16 pm »
the 6 month rule in generally in my mind, but the note more than ten years old was a new one on me. Mine still have a while on them, but I think both had the extra bit credited to then on last renewal.  Will need to pay attention in about 4-5 years I think.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1089 on: Yesterday at 10:10:11 pm »
We called that a pylon. How humorous ha ha. Anywayz, I expect Gordano school is in Gordano, which is near rather than in Portishead.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1090 on: Today at 12:53:28 am »
This ’10 year passport rule’ issue seems to be in the news.
I got D a new passport in 2022 for that reason.
It wasn’t new then and it certainly isn’t now!