Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 516901 times)

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1450 on: 09 September, 2015, 12:47:54 pm »
  If I am not drinking (beer that is) I find Lime Juice and Soda Water rather pleasant, minimum sugar and refreshing, this thread has made me realise that as far as sugar goes I am not the paragon of virtue I thought, we cook all our meals and bake our own bread, so total control and less sugar than whatever recipe we are following, but, (as, always a but)  I work three 11 hour shifts a week and as on an aeroplane you suck a sweet to keep air pressure right I suck polo mints to help keep my Eustachian Tubes clear (or am I kidding myself) this results in over twice the recommended amount of sugar on those days.

Bloody hell, is the polo's or the sugar hit  :o
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

ian

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1451 on: 09 September, 2015, 01:09:26 pm »
Limited fruit juice, especially if it's still lumpy, isn't a bad thing, there's at least some added nutritional benefit. You can't say that for cola which is effectively coloured sugar solution with a bit of flavouring. And if you're drinking it with other food, like a bowl of porridge, you're effectively taking the sting out of that glycaemic punch. The other problem with sugary soft drinks is that they tend to drunk solo, sloshed into an empty stomach. It may be extreme for the UK, but it's not out-of-the-ordinary in the US to see people chugging away on big gulp size sodas. That's 30-odd spoons of sugar going direct into their bloodstream. Unless you're doing some pretty extreme exercise and have depleted glycogen reserves that's going to fat.

Of course, it all rolls up into the general excess of sugar that has found its way into our diet. Even fruit and veg has got sweeter. The big con is processed diet foods. Sugar was always known to be bad, the but sugar industry in US lobbied hard (that's why you never see percentage of daily amount for sugars on a nutritional label) for the focus to be retained on fat (which was only part of the recommended nutritional advice). This conveniently levered open an entire new diet food market for the big food processors. Of course, taking the fat out of food makes it taste like crud, so they bulked up with sugar and salt. The salt fell out of favour. So we have sugar. I cook tomato sauce by throwing a few tomatoes in a pan of garlicky oil, some herbs, and a splash of balsamic vinegar for sweetness, depending on how tart the toms are. A while back, I grabbed some supermarket tomato pasta sauce. It was so sweet I couldn't eat it. Custard isn't that sweet. I think sugar was the third ingredient.

« Reply #1452 on: 09 September, 2015, 01:47:15 pm »
Coke 'life' is a stevia product.  It's common in the USA as they really aren't big on sugar-free drinks. 

Stevia isn't sugar (nor is sucralose, though the latter is derived from sucrose), so drinks sweetened with it are "sugar free". They're still sweet tasting though.

Anyway academic for me as the only sweet fizzy drink I drink is lemonade, and that only in the summer, with Pimms. And for that only the full-sweet version is acceptable.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1453 on: 09 September, 2015, 01:51:50 pm »
Standard full fat coke for me. Mind you its very rare I drink it. On a really hot day when you're thirsty and tired an ice cold coke from a glass bottle is perfection. Also JD and coke is an OK drink.
I don't drink it often enough to worry about the sugar content. I really don't like the taste of the low cal versions.
The stuff that comes out of a hose in a pub is an awful imitation of real coke though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1454 on: 09 September, 2015, 03:34:39 pm »
Coke 'life' is a stevia product.  It's common in the USA as they really aren't big on sugar-free drinks. 

Stevia isn't sugar (nor is sucralose, though the latter is derived from sucrose), so drinks sweetened with it are "sugar free". They're still sweet tasting though.

Anyway academic for me as the only sweet fizzy drink I drink is lemonade, and that only in the summer, with Pimms. And for that only the full-sweet version is acceptable.

Except that coke life isn't sugar free.  It has both stevia and sugar.  It's lower sugar, so 'healthier' but without actually removing the sugar entirely, presumably because it would change the taste to completely replace the sugar with stevia (and because stevia is really expensive to buy, at least in the UK).

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1455 on: 09 September, 2015, 06:38:58 pm »
I can't stand diet drinks either, aspartame makes me nauseous and I don't like the taste - why would I drink things which taste bad!!! 

I don't however drink them often enough to worry and there are times when that big kick of sugar is useful as I find it helps me manage the body-crash from dodgy balance issues, a bit of a nasty hack, not used often, but useful to have as a tool available with my amateurish understanding of the neurobiology behind it all.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1456 on: 09 September, 2015, 07:15:14 pm »
A quick look at the nutrient table in my Cofresh London Mix states that it contains:

Protein             17.6g
Carbohydrate   43.2g
Fat                  32.6g
Fibre                12.7g
Salt                   0.8g

Per 100g

So that's more than 100g solids per 100g product ???
Do they count fibre as a carbohydrate?

Never mind; I'll just eat in moderation but I HATE IT WHEN FIGURES DON'T ADD UP!

« Reply #1457 on: 09 September, 2015, 07:36:10 pm »
It's all tosh, just listen to your body, it soon tells you what is not good/wanted, assuming you listen to it that is  :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1458 on: 09 September, 2015, 07:52:44 pm »
I do listen to my body but I like to know how much protein and fat I am eating. It's not always obvious and I'd still like to lose a bit more weight.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1459 on: 09 September, 2015, 08:46:48 pm »
It's all tosh, just listen to your body, it soon tells you what is not good/wanted, assuming you listen to it that is  :)

:facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1460 on: 10 September, 2015, 03:34:28 am »
Can some kind person please tell me how Coke Zero differs from Diet Coke?

There's an empty bottle of Coke Zero on my desk ATM which, judging from the label, used to belong to someone called "Jordan".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1461 on: 10 September, 2015, 12:52:51 pm »
My body tells me I want chocolate at every meal, so I ignore it at least twice a day.

I'm not a big fan of fizzy soft drinks because I find them far too sweet, whether they're diet or fat. If I'm in a pub and not on the batter, I usually have soda & lime, or ginger beer. I do, however, really like San Pellegrino fizzy fruit drinks - the lemon is my favourite, but I like the other ones too, and I'm hoping someone near me will start stocking the new lime & mint one.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1463 on: 10 September, 2015, 06:28:20 pm »

Do they count fibre as a carbohydrate?

Yes.

« Reply #1465 on: 14 September, 2015, 03:35:30 pm »
Wonder if anyone knows what I saw.

Was in a restaurant in Boulogne on Sunday, and I saw two people eating a dish that I couldn't recognise.

It was served in a bowl, looked yellow and the apparent consistency of melted cheese sauce, almost like a fondue. The adult had theirs topped with a fried egg and added worcester sauce, the child (not in the same party) had theirs plain. They just forked it in their mouths.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1466 on: 14 September, 2015, 03:45:37 pm »
Polenta? That can be served in a thick soup like consistency.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1467 on: 14 September, 2015, 03:55:45 pm »
France, not Italy, so I don't think so, and it looked just gloopy not grainy

« Reply #1468 on: 14 September, 2015, 05:13:49 pm »
(that's why you never see percentage of daily amount for sugars on a nutritional label)

Eh? All the labels I've just looked at that had the little traffic lights for salt, fat and the like also had them for sugar: quantity of sugar in a 'portion,' percentage that is of your RDA.

ian

« Reply #1469 on: 14 September, 2015, 05:26:27 pm »
(that's why you never see percentage of daily amount for sugars on a nutritional label)

Eh? All the labels I've just looked at that had the little traffic lights for salt, fat and the like also had them for sugar: quantity of sugar in a 'portion,' percentage that is of your RDA.

Hmm, that must a recent change, or I've not been paying attention (actually it may just be the US ones, I just looked at my pancake mix and it lacks a RDA for sugar). I stand corrected. But like speed limits, it's a maximum not a target.

So, Mr Larrers, lay off those cinnamon pastries.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1470 on: 14 September, 2015, 07:39:33 pm »
American and UK food labelling differ.

Both give information for a mythical 'typical portion' but I personally prefer to think of percentages and UK information also gives values per 100g.

UK traffic lights do give recommended quantities of fat, energy, sugars and salt.

Finding out about protein can be more challenging!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1471 on: 15 September, 2015, 07:51:02 pm »

Sounds like escaoutoun, though I've never seen that outside the southwest. It is very similar to polenta but milled finer.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1472 on: 16 September, 2015, 09:08:29 am »

Sounds like escaoutoun, though I've never seen that outside the southwest. It is very similar to polenta but milled finer.

I suppose it might have been, but it wasn't on the menu (as far as I could see) and we are in northern North France, here.

I should have added the colour was vaguely luminous orange (think Red Leicester rather than Mimolette) reminiscent of the USAnian concept of cheese.

« Reply #1473 on: 16 September, 2015, 10:48:18 am »
The caterers are out of sausages. So it was suggested to a colleague that instead of a sausage sandwich, that he have have a sausage roll in a baguette. This suggestion disgusted most of my workmates, but I said I'd be willing to have it a go on another occasion.

Is pastry in a sandwich really so repellent a concept?

« Reply #1474 on: 16 September, 2015, 11:47:48 am »
I do listen to my body but I like to know how much protein and fat I am eating. It's not always obvious and I'd still like to lose a bit more weight.

We became avid label readers since we discovered our son as a child reacted badly to E103 (that long ago), and surprised by what was in a lot of canned food (mushy peas was a revelation) we went from that to cooking almost everything from scratch ourselves, pasta sauces, pizza, even cake, obviously there are things that do take a bit of time but surprising how many things just bubble away while you do something else (like uncork a bottle) even bread (thank you Dan Lepard - Short and Sweet)