Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517044 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I don't follow a keto diet.
My granulated sugar bag has been used quite a bit for sweetening stewed plums.
I thought I'd see when I last bought a bag of sugar.

25 June 2018

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #3201 on: 02 September, 2019, 12:09:27 pm »
All the apples I've bought in shops recently (including Braeburn, Royal Gala, Pink Lady) have been pretty flabby and tasteless - was it a bad crop this year?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #3202 on: 02 September, 2019, 12:41:37 pm »
All the apples I've bought in shops recently (including Braeburn, Royal Gala, Pink Lady) have been pretty flabby and tasteless - was it a bad crop this year?

I'd guess it's because they've been stored for months. Broadly, the NZ apple season is February, and the UK one October.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3203 on: 02 September, 2019, 01:49:17 pm »

I'd guess it's because they've been stored for months. Broadly, the NZ apple season is February, and the UK one October.

Suspect you are right.

The apples coming from our garden right now are rather good. I think THIS season's English apples will be good but anything held over for months will lack everything but appearance.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3204 on: 02 September, 2019, 02:27:06 pm »
There are delicious Discoveries in the shops right now. They won't be around for long though and perhaps they never make it to the supermarkets.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3205 on: 04 September, 2019, 10:40:30 am »
I’ve just had a piece of fruit, the genus of which has been identified by some as proof of intelligent design and held up by others as an example of overbearing EU meddling in Britannia’s affairs. I enjoyed it. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3206 on: 04 September, 2019, 02:34:31 pm »
Our Giant Mutant Toroidal Tomato

is showing signs of ripening. Will report on its eating quality eventually.

« Reply #3207 on: 06 September, 2019, 07:44:09 am »
I refused to buy apples for the office in Tesco yesterday. I've had some fantastic British apples in the vegbox over the last few weeks, but there's nothing british in the local tescos yet. I love the early season discoverys, followed by the Worcesters.
California Dreaming

« Reply #3208 on: 07 September, 2019, 04:33:56 pm »
I made some tomato chutney this afternoon, from our surplus Gardeners Delight and Tumbler.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3209 on: 09 September, 2019, 09:35:36 am »
MrsT brought some Barbary figs back from the shops this morning.  They're like a pomegranate's ugly sister and the seeds are like lead shot. Bof.

Oh. Just looked them up: cacti from Mexico. You'd know that from the name, wouldn't you?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3211 on: 19 September, 2019, 09:33:18 pm »
My partner’s away so ate a family pack of M&Ms in about a minute. Living the dream.

But what is going on with the number of M&Ms in the pack!? There couldn’t have been many more M&Ms in that family pack that would have been in a normal bloody packet the last time I ate M&Ms. At the top of the pack it says “share and enjoy with family and friends”! Cheeky barstewards.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3212 on: 20 September, 2019, 06:46:54 am »
MrsT brought some Barbary figs back from the shops this morning.  They're like a pomegranate's ugly sister and the seeds are like lead shot. Bof.

Oh. Just looked them up: cacti from Mexico. You'd know that from the name, wouldn't you?

Sounds similar to prickly pears, a bastard to pick and full of hard seeds, a bit like those in papaya
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3213 on: 20 September, 2019, 08:31:36 am »
My partner’s away so ate a family pack of M&Ms in about a minute. Living the dream.

But what is going on with the number of M&Ms in the pack!? There couldn’t have been many more M&Ms in that family pack that would have been in a normal bloody packet the last time I ate M&Ms. At the top of the pack it says “share and enjoy with family and friends”! Cheeky barstewards.

Cuppa soups have gone from 5 to 4 to 3 sachets in the same size packet. It's only in small print you see they've dropped the number of sachets which flap about in the big packet. Makes me not want to buy them again because they're blatantly cheating and being sneaky as well as wasteful.

Lots of things seem to be doing this packety shrinking nonsense AND putting prices up.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3214 on: 20 September, 2019, 04:06:45 pm »
I think we had a 'shrinkflation' packaging thread a while back.

Jaffa Cakes previously were sold in packs containing multiples of 12; now some have multiples of 11 and some have multiples of 10, which makes price comparison challenging, even for the more numerate shopper.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3215 on: 20 September, 2019, 04:47:49 pm »

Sounds similar to prickly pears, a bastard to pick and full of hard seeds, a bit like those in papaya

Sounds right. Ours took up space in the fridge for a few days before MrsT ditched them. Trouble was that she didn't mention it and a bit later I almost dumped her sweet potatoes.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3216 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:16:50 am »
As someone dedicated to the consumption of tea, this isn't good news.

« Reply #3217 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:22:01 am »
There is no evidence so far that the ingestion of microplastics poses a risk to humans, according the World Health Organisation

Edited for legibility - C-3PO

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3218 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:54:00 am »

Only if your tea wears plastic bags. Our supermarket Twinings may not be of the freshest but at least it's not geriatric.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3219 on: 27 September, 2019, 05:37:42 pm »
I've never seen the material mentioned on a packet and I've only ever noticed one that was obviously plastic (I can't remember the brand but it was something fairly fancy: Tea Pigs perhaps?) so I'm assuming many contain plastic, probably in a mixture with paper, without it being obvious. Until recently, when someone told me they shouldn't go on compost for this reason, I'd assumed they were all paper.

« Reply #3220 on: 27 September, 2019, 07:14:43 pm »

Not an issue, we use leaf teas. At work I drink water.

« Reply #3221 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:44:12 pm »
Indeed teabags are strictly for builders. Though for proper builders tea you should boil the tea, milk and sugar together like they do in India
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3222 on: 27 September, 2019, 10:11:42 pm »
I started buying leaf tea after putting my tea bags (I thought they were organic compostable) in the worm composter and then finding them all over the garden when I tipped out the compost 6+ months later.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #3223 on: 27 September, 2019, 10:20:30 pm »
I always use leaf tea because I'm pretend posh and I like to make sure people know it. Plastic teabags, blimey.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3224 on: 27 September, 2019, 10:26:35 pm »
Indeed teabags are strictly for builders. Though for proper builders tea you should boil the tea, milk and sugar together like they do in India
With cardamom. I don't think many English builders drink that.