Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3815521 times)

Chris S

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1400 on: 02 September, 2008, 09:24:55 am »
A very wet 30km hill repeat session.

« Reply #1401 on: 02 September, 2008, 09:32:22 am »
sounds like my ride last night - 20k of short intervals (4 x 3 minutes, 3 minute gap between them), with one extra thrown in at the end because I was nearly home and it was starting to rain quite hard. 

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1402 on: 02 September, 2008, 09:35:29 am »
A beautiful sunny commute on the very-obviously First of Autumn here.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #1403 on: 02 September, 2008, 09:39:11 am »
No! 'Tis pishing down!  >:(

I also have to transport the loin fruit to school at 10:30.  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #1404 on: 02 September, 2008, 01:25:04 pm »
No! 'Tis pishing down!  >:(

It wasn't too bad, it actually stopped raining for about 10 mins just after noon. Two breakfasts at Roundbush and 40 odd miles.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1405 on: 02 September, 2008, 07:32:46 pm »
Once the rain stopped, Mrs. Wow and I did the same loop as yesterday but got our time down to 1h 15m 41s. 12.9mph! That's almost respectable!

I think we'll do a longer ride Friday and try to keep up >11 mph over 50 or so miles.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1406 on: 03 September, 2008, 10:58:51 am »
A quick 8km ride to Fishponds to test my new addition to the stable !

Members' bikes

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1407 on: 03 September, 2008, 11:28:30 am »
I went out last night, as it was threating with rain, and managed to get a personal best avearge speed over 20miles, of 17.3mph!!  Ok, it's in no-mans land speed wise, but give me another month or so and I'll have it up there with the best.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

border-rider

« Reply #1408 on: 03 September, 2008, 11:30:29 am »
Had a very, very nice 2 hour run (on legs not a bike :)) dodging the showers in the hills and forests yesterday.  I must take a camera...

Just getting soggy here now, so I may not get out again today (tho' I've been to the paper shop on the trike this morning)

« Reply #1409 on: 03 September, 2008, 06:40:24 pm »
A quick 8km ride to Fishponds to test my new addition to the stable !

Members' bikes

Another 20km ride out to Chipping Sodbury - very windy !

« Reply #1410 on: 03 September, 2008, 06:52:23 pm »
Is it me or is there some kind of wind tunnel thing going on in Londinium at the moment - felt like my wheels would be blown from under me at some points on the commute...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1411 on: 03 September, 2008, 07:16:24 pm »
Made myself go out last night on the fixer. "This Sceptred Isle" on the MP3 player, dry night, bit of wind, 35km.

A few errands today saw 20km on the 'bent.  Same stuff on the MP3. Windier today mind you.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1412 on: 03 September, 2008, 07:30:13 pm »
Is it me or is there some kind of wind tunnel thing going on in Londinium at the moment - felt like my wheels would be blown from under me at some points on the commute...

I don't think it's just you, I find whenever I go past any large buildings, you get all sorts of strong and odd wind directions.  I guess the buildings tend to funnel and concentrate the wind, sometimes in the opposite direction to the prevailing wind.  Luckily I only have a couple of places on my commute, like on Queenstown Road opposite Battersea Park, where there are big buildings that do this.
Actually, it is rocket science.

alan

« Reply #1413 on: 03 September, 2008, 07:30:59 pm »
I was told that a local club was organising a 10 mile TT starting about a mile from home.
Despite persistent precipitation I went down to suss it out & there was no-one there.Bugger. :(
so I drove back home ;D

« Reply #1414 on: 03 September, 2008, 07:42:23 pm »
buggery bollox, that was windier than I expected.  

Tonight was meant to be 90 minutes of hard work, with 15 minutes warm up and 15 minutes warm down.  The hard bit was 30 minutes tailwind (weeeeeeee :D) then an hour of headwind - v. poor route planning on my part!

Belting ride though, my thighs are on fire now....

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1415 on: 03 September, 2008, 08:33:16 pm »
I was told that a local club was organising a 10 mile TT starting about a mile from home.
Despite persistent precipitation I went down to suss it out & there was no-one there.Bugger. :(
so I drove back home ;D
Did you ask who's home?  ;D ;D

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1416 on: 03 September, 2008, 08:35:21 pm »
Sodding windy down here too. Can still hear the roar in my lugholes....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #1417 on: 03 September, 2008, 11:26:51 pm »
First time on the bike for about a week and a half- I was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms.
Only about 9 miles- to and from football along the Fallowfield Loop and then to and from the pub.
I got a puncture just as I arrived at the football venue (Armitage Centre). That'll teach me for thinking "don't need to take the puncture kit- it's not far". The Fairy knows. Thankfully, a friend had his kit so I was spared the indignity of putting the bike in someone's car. Since the tyre had done ~2900 miles since it was fitted and this is the 1st time it has suffered, I can't complain. Big up for Pasela TG.

Arthur

« Reply #1418 on: 04 September, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »
I'm another one who picked up a pun**ure on this mornings ride. Luckily it was when I was only about 200 yards from home.

As I had to pull the back wheel off to fix it, I also got round to re-greasing the bearings and trueing out the very slight wobble in the wheel that's been niggling me for ages. And then I regreased the front wheel bearings and I've got the chain submerged in a tub of white spirit for a good clean.

If the fairies hadn't stuffed a shard of Stella bottle into my tyre, all of these jobs would have been ignored for at least another few months. Thanks ladies  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1419 on: 04 September, 2008, 04:00:16 pm »
I had to ride out to a meeting today.  It looked like it was going to rain as I started off, but it was fine.  On the way back, it did rain a bit - peerfect excuse for nipping to a cafe for a cup of tea before trundling home through the back roads of Southwark.
Getting there...

« Reply #1420 on: 04 September, 2008, 05:07:05 pm »
I had a great commute home today :)
I've been doing the commute for quite a while but I've never bothered to see how fast I could do it before, I've always been more concerned about not putting too much effort in, and I usually leave about an hour for the 12ish miles. I've been doing a bit more riding recently and it has started to feel a bit too easy if I just pootle along so today I thought I'd time myself and see how quickly I could get home. I didn't completely go for it as the roads were pretty wet at first, but I went as fast I thought was safe downhill and pretty much all out uphill. I was pretty lucky not to get held up too long at any of the traffic lights or junctions, and I made it home in 42 minutes. I'm pretty pleased with that, and also it gives me a time to aim for next time I'm feeling energetic after work!
Also as a bonus it had rained for most of the afternoon, stopped just before I left work, and then was peeing it down again five minutes after I got home ;D

« Reply #1421 on: 04 September, 2008, 11:16:23 pm »
A lovely ride out into Cheshire this evening. The weather was great (yes, really), bike felt good and the engine seemed to be tuned nicely  :thumbsup:  Maybe the lack of cycling but the abundance of other exercise recently has had some benefit. In the end a total of 28 miles.
The only downside was nearly being taken out at the lights in Chorlton- an old Subaru Impreza (with a BIG exhaust judging by the sound of it) pulled up in the right turn only lane. I was in the ASL area and I figured that he was either turning right or going straight and hoping to burn off the cars on the inside- no problem, for me at least. Actually it was a problem since he was turning left (no indicators) and he nearly took my front wheel.
A pint of Ginger in the Marble rounded off the evening nicely, despite The Twat in the SubaruTM.
For those that don't know (so probably most of you !)- Ginger is a beer brewed by Marble Brewery, The Marble is one of their pubs in Chorlton (Cum Hardy). I can recommend both.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1422 on: 05 September, 2008, 06:26:58 pm »
A trip to the LBS to buy a new chain. 6 miles or so between rain spells.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1423 on: 05 September, 2008, 07:31:38 pm »
20km commute this morning in pouring rain...
20km commute tonight in pouring rain...

Indian Summer.................must be Monsoon Season  ;)

« Reply #1424 on: 05 September, 2008, 07:35:45 pm »
Out on the ancient mtb in the rain. Through puddles, over rivers swollen nearly to flood, up hills that have turned to rivers, with stones, leaves and other debris washed across them. A bit of muddy off-road, then back under the scarp and some seriously flooded lanes — the sensation of cold water washing over one's feet. Invigorating!