Author Topic: Close pass camera question.  (Read 5084 times)

Close pass camera question.
« on: 04 October, 2023, 06:28:23 pm »
For those of you who have cameras fitted to your bicycles to record close passes/general cruddy driving, what are your top tips for setting them up? Are two better than one (in terms of evidence)?

Thanks.

Re: Close pass camera question.
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2023, 07:14:34 pm »
I have a forward facing cycliq which I actually bought to record my ride in the Alpes.  Now I wish I had bought one facing rearwards. Hindsight is wonderful thing.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2023, 08:10:54 pm »
Price of the Cycliqs is steep. Is the quality that exceptional? Why do you wish you had rear facing too?

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2023, 08:17:14 am »
I have front and rear, both cycliqs. the fly6 (rear) has been faultless. Only issue is that the time on the internal clock tends to drift, adn needs to be periodically corrected manually. I've never managed to get the app to work satisfactorily, which is supposeed to do it automatically.
The front, fly12, has been consistently problematic. Periodically refusing to switch on, failed to auto-save the footage when I came off on ice, battery life unpredictable (sometimes 6 hours, sometimes 2). Also would reset the date/time/year back to 2015 whcih made it distinctly unhlepful as evidence. I lost one of the port covers and they were unable to supply a replacement, and now after 6 years (although it didn't get used much during covid) refuses to switch on at all.
I returned it under the warranty, but typically it decided to start performing again. Customer service is in Australia, so you can't get timely responses. The typical response I got was to ask me to reformat the memory card. I'm not techy enough to understand why that should make any difference to the hardware... (which, of course, it didn't).

In answer to the original question, yes, two are better than one. I was close passed on Sunday morning with only the rear camera working. the front would have shown that the trailer had no lights or registration.
Neither seem to work particularly well at night, getting easily dazzled, although I imagine that's a problem endemic to all cameras.
Maybe the newer versions are better. They've offered me 20% off a new one as a gesture of goodwill, but given you can usually get them at 10% of anyway, it's not a very generous gesture, and unless my lottery ticket comes good I won't be taking them up on the offer.
In terms of setup, I have the front one mounted underneath a bridge between my aerobars. My little seatpack tends to interfere with the view from the rear, so I used to mount it upside down on the top of the seatstays, but my new pannier rack now interferes with that, so now it's seatpack off and in panniers, and camera back on the seatpost I've experimented with attaching it to the rack supports, but not very successfully as the diameter is too small.

« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2023, 05:13:03 pm »
I have front and rear, both cycliqs. the fly6 (rear) has been faultless. Only issue is that the time on the internal clock tends to drift, adn needs to be periodically corrected manually. I've never managed to get the app to work satisfactorily, which is supposeed to do it automatically.
The front, fly12, has been consistently problematic. Periodically refusing to switch on, failed to auto-save the footage when I came off on ice, battery life unpredictable (sometimes 6 hours, sometimes 2). Also would reset the date/time/year back to 2015 whcih made it distinctly unhlepful as evidence. I lost one of the port covers and they were unable to supply a replacement, and now after 6 years (although it didn't get used much during covid) refuses to switch on at all.
I returned it under the warranty, but typically it decided to start performing again. Customer service is in Australia, so you can't get timely responses. The typical response I got was to ask me to reformat the memory card. I'm not techy enough to understand why that should make any difference to the hardware... (which, of course, it didn't).

In answer to the original question, yes, two are better than one. I was close passed on Sunday morning with only the rear camera working. the front would have shown that the trailer had no lights or registration.
Neither seem to work particularly well at night, getting easily dazzled, although I imagine that's a problem endemic to all cameras.
Maybe the newer versions are better. They've offered me 20% off a new one as a gesture of goodwill, but given you can usually get them at 10% of anyway, it's not a very generous gesture, and unless my lottery ticket comes good I won't be taking them up on the offer.
In terms of setup, I have the front one mounted underneath a bridge between my aerobars. My little seatpack tends to interfere with the view from the rear, so I used to mount it upside down on the top of the seatstays, but my new pannier rack now interferes with that, so now it's seatpack off and in panniers, and camera back on the seatpost I've experimented with attaching it to the rack supports, but not very successfully as the diameter is too small.

Very comprehensive, thanks.

You've also semi-answered a question I had in my mind, that of panniers and my rear set up. I'll have to give it some thought.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 27 December, 2023, 09:46:47 am »
Front only, Ghost Drift XL. Consistent 8 hours battery life, but frustratingly if the battery dies, you need to redo the set up as it loses it's memory as well.

It's very weather sealed out of the box (first one failed in this respect and replaced with no Q's). Video is excellent, passable in low light, audio is rubbish without an optional mike, generally doninated by wind/bike movement noises. Physical placement similar to smileydave's is under the aerobars above the bar bag, on double outfront mount.

I've set it up to take 5min loops which is what most police forces ask for around here - Incident plus 2min either side.  It also inconsistently records incidents, sometimes just avoiding a pothole is an incident. You also need to regularly empty the card (I've not quite got the settings right for it to automnatically overwrite).

On the whole i'm pleased with it and use it in the car as well.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 27 December, 2023, 12:29:52 pm »

Be aware that some police forces are woeful at contacting you after you have uploaded
video evidence. I uploaded clips of two incidences in October this year (2023) and have
still not yet heard from Gloucestershire police. I contacted them again (quoting the automatic
reference number generated from their website), still no response from them.

Does anyone have an idea which camera the Tour de France riders use on their bikes
during the race?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #7 on: 27 December, 2023, 01:08:31 pm »

Does anyone have an idea which camera the Tour de France riders use on their bikes
during the race?

I saw a 'behind the scenes' video. The models used were GoPro Hero 5 Session, an old model but smaller and lighter than current models, so popular with riders, and perfectly capable, Battery life is enough for about one hour's recording. It was found that understandably riders could't be relied on to start recording at the appropriate time, so they were pre-programmed to start at a certain time to catch the action, using non-standard firmware.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #8 on: 27 December, 2023, 02:41:01 pm »
I have a Go Pro Hero7B front facing, & generic 'Chillitech-like' ebay bullet cam under bars, facing rearwards (mounted on a lockblock).  Neither much good for reg plates at night - would have to read plate aloud for GoPro (bullet cam = terrible audio)

GoPro runs off a ~6700mAh Anker pack (6hrs+) with 128Gb card; rear cam ~4hrs (replaceable) battery. 

Rear cam was probably essential for my last submission in May - a near rear ending, save for last sec swerve by driver.  Submitted in May, notified in July 'taking case to court', outcome (by phone) of Careless driving/fine/points late October (no court appearance).
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #9 on: 27 December, 2023, 05:39:43 pm »
When I used to have a 7 mile commute into work (now it's 250 metres!) I used to have both a front & rear facing Go Pro.  With the rear one, due to the panniers, I tightened a Go Pro extendable clamp onto the rear middle section of the rack so that the camera was then mounted above the rack (and also nice & visible to motorists).

Never actually had anything very serious worth reporting.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #10 on: 27 December, 2023, 07:21:28 pm »
Rear cam was probably essential for my last submission in May - a near rear ending, save for last sec swerve by driver.  Submitted in May, notified in July 'taking case to court', outcome of Careless driving/fine/points late October (no court appearance).
Which police force did you report your incident to? Ours in Gloucestershire is rubbish at keeping
you informed of any progress on submitted evidence. >:(

« Reply #11 on: 27 December, 2023, 08:50:36 pm »

Be aware that some police forces are woeful at contacting you after you have uploaded
video evidence. I uploaded clips of two incidences in October this year (2023) and have
still not yet heard from Gloucestershire police. I contacted them again (quoting the automatic
reference number generated from their website), still no response from them.

during the race?

From reports from sources like road.cc it does appear to be inconsistent. I've reported three close passes (one to Derbyshire police and two to S. Yorks police) and got updates that they'd proceeded to some kind of action.

« Reply #12 on: 16 January, 2024, 04:25:30 pm »
...Which police force did you report your incident to? Ours in Gloucestershire is rubbish at keeping you informed of any progress on submitted evidence. >:(
TVP
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #13 on: 27 January, 2024, 08:32:19 pm »
...Which police force did you report your incident to? Ours in Gloucestershire is rubbish at keeping you informed of any progress on submitted evidence. >:(
TVP
TVP are great, in my extensive experience of sending in incident reports. They are short on resource at the moment, though, so have a bit of a backlog, meaning drivers that would have got a driver training course/points & fine are receiving written warnings instead.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #14 on: 28 January, 2024, 07:22:27 am »
I made a complaint via Operation Snap in October 2023 to Gloucestershire Police and provided video evidence of a dangerous close pass by a van. I heard nothing from them for weeks, so contacted the office of the police and crime commissioner to find out why there was a delay.

Here is Gloucestershire police's response (received three days ago):
I am emailing in relation to a complaint you made after you made a submission to Operation Snap and have not heard back from them.I am sorry that you have not been updated.  I have spoken to the department who deal with Operation Snap submissions.  They have advised that your case has been looked into. 

They have provided the following information which I can share with you.An officer has viewed the footage and read the informant statement.The clip is from the informant’s (cyclist) head-cam and the incident occurs 1:42 minutes into the footage.The informant claims the subject vehicle has passed him not allowing a distance of 1.5 meters between them. This cannot be measured from the footage.The footage is forward facing so only shows the subject vehicle as it has passed the informant.

The clip does not evidence that the manoeuvre has caused the informant to take any evasive action and has not disrupted his cycling. He also mentions he is cycling with 5 other cyclists, who cannot be seen on the footage and that the subject vehicle has almost knocked the whole group off the road. This is not evidenced in the footage which also has sound.

Due to this there will be no action taken against the driver on this occasion. I understand that this will be disappointing however I am not able to change this decision.I would like to apologise that you have found the need to complain on this occasion and hope that I have been able to answer your queries.If you feel that this is not the case, please let me know.   

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for providing us with feedback on how we have performed.  Without knowing our strengths and weaknesses we are unable to improve our service to the public. If I do not hear back from you in the next 14 days I will close your complaint.

Many thanks

Ruth

So the coppers are saying that because my forward-facing camera didn't show the other riders in the group and the we have to swerve out of the way as the van almost clipped our elbows, then there see no issue with the driver's conduct.

Nevertheless, I have provided feedback to them.
:demon:

« Reply #15 on: 28 January, 2024, 10:03:19 am »
So the coppers are saying that because my forward-facing camera didn't show the other riders in the group and the we have to swerve out of the way as the van almost clipped our elbows, then there see no issue with the driver's conduct.

Nevertheless, I have provided feedback to them.
:demon:
They are not saying that there was no issue with the driver's conduct, but that there is no proof of an issue with the driver's conduct.

One of my dashcam videos was NFA'd because the registration number couldn't be seen.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

ElyDave

« Reply #16 on: 28 January, 2024, 10:32:30 am »
East angrier generally seem fairly responsive, I've reported in cambs, and both norf and Suffolk with prompt responses from each, nuffink in Essex yet

rr

« Reply #17 on: 28 January, 2024, 10:57:01 am »
Essex have a policy of not telling you the outcome.

ElyDave

« Reply #18 on: 28 January, 2024, 11:24:06 am »
I've never heard the outcome, jus "we will be taking action"

« Reply #19 on: 28 January, 2024, 06:44:04 pm »

They are not saying that there was no issue with the driver's conduct, but that there is no proof of an issue with the driver's conduct.
The video clearly showed the driver's van extremely close to, and cutting across our group at speed.
If that isn't proof enough, then the bar for taking action is unbelievably high. Let's drop this and
move on.

« Reply #20 on: 28 January, 2024, 08:00:26 pm »

The video clearly showed the driver's van extremely close to, and cutting across our group at speed.
If that isn't proof enough, then the bar for taking action is unbelievably high. Let's drop this and
move on.
I agree that it should have been enough proof.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #21 on: 28 January, 2024, 08:11:28 pm »
Just bought one of these as a rear facing camera.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CLHVR2GCpsc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I can confirm that its easy to read the number plate of passing cars.  You may need to fiddle with the mounting.  It needs a wedge on my Topeak saddlebag to get the field of view to encompass more than my rear rack.  Very satisfied with it so far.

« Reply #22 on: 28 January, 2024, 08:23:54 pm »
A friend in our cycle club has a daughter who is a police officer. She told him that there is no
dedicated team to review videos of close-passes that are sent in. Due to 'resource constraints',
it all depends on who is available to look at the footage. So it is all down to individual interpretation
of what one thinks is a close-pass. ::-)