Author Topic: Garmin not not showing on map  (Read 2471 times)

Garmin not not showing on map
« on: 14 October, 2017, 08:22:18 pm »
I'm using a Garmin Dakota 20, with a load of saved gpx tracks that I use for navigation: follow the line on the screen rather than have the unit decide a route for me.

Around my regular haunts I now have a lot of accumulated tracks that I pick and choose from. With more than one line displayed on the map things can get rather confusing... No problem! I'll go into the settings for the unwanted tracks and set "hide on map"!

This works until I turn the power off, and then they have a tendency to reappear again, jumbling up the map with a mess of lines.

Has anyone else encountered this before, and is anyone aware of a fix? It's getting really annoying having to stop in the middle of rides to clear the clutter from the map when I thought I'd already removed it.

Obviously it's working some of the time, otherwise I'd have a memory card full of tracks on the map. Why some times and not others?!  ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Garmin not not showing on map
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2017, 08:56:18 pm »
IIRC this is something to do with whether it reckons the GPX files containing the tracks are 'new' or not (if they are, they get given default visibility settings, presumably).  Sort of thing that might happen if they're on a SD card that's wobbling loose, or if the filesystem gets corrupted or ...I dunno, gremlins.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2017, 08:59:44 pm »
So you really did mean "not not showing on map"!

Sorry, no help. Didn't even know it was possible to show more than one track at a time. Hope you get it worked out.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2017, 09:06:26 pm »
Sorry, no help. Didn't even know it was possible to show more than one track at a time.

Tracks in the track menu each have a 'show on map'/'hide on map' option as nikki describes, along with a thinger to select what colour they appear as.  This is independent of a track appearing as purple line because you've selected it to navigate.

« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2017, 09:14:41 pm »
IIRC this is something to do with whether it reckons the GPX files containing the tracks are 'new' or not (if they are, they get given default visibility settings, presumably).

Doesn't sound like default behaviour for this unit: I don't recall it ever automatically setting actual new tracks to visible.

So you really did mean "not not showing on map"!

Sometimes I talk complete rubbish. Other times I mean exactly what I say. It wouldn't be any fun if you knew in advance which one it was going to be this time  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2017, 09:20:39 pm »
IIRC this is something to do with whether it reckons the GPX files containing the tracks are 'new' or not (if they are, they get given default visibility settings, presumably).

Doesn't sound like default behaviour for this unit: I don't recall it ever automatically setting actual new tracks to visible.

That matches my experience with the eTrex (where tracks default to invisible and generally stay that way).  Not that I habitually upload tracks to navigate unless I'm doing an audax or something, so they're mostly just the ones it's recorded itself, if that makes a difference.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2017, 09:21:45 pm »
Sometimes I talk complete rubbish. Other times I mean exactly what I say. It wouldn't be any fun if you knew in advance which one it was going to be this time  ;D
Yes, but how are we supposed to tell the difference?  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2017, 10:41:22 pm »
I have had tracks go from Show to Hide before, after switching off then on I think.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 14 October, 2017, 11:43:45 pm »
This works until I turn the power off, and then they have a tendency to reappear again, jumbling up the map with a mess of lines.

Seems unusual, the default behaviour seems to be to 'hide' unless you set a Track to 'show', and this then sticks until an unplanned restart, when everything usually reverts to 'hide'.

But who knows, each model/firmware update is different.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2017, 09:57:11 pm »
Found this reference which seems to be describing something similar:

However, on newer Garmins (basically those with the box-style main menu and the 'Where To?' option) the default setting for stored Tracks seems to be 'Hidden'. This is probably because they don't have the old storage limit of 20 and so if the default was 'Show' it could all get too confusing. So, if you are a Track user, you need to 'open' each stored Track and activate the 'Show on map' button. (Very confusingly, the button now changes to 'Hide on map' - if you see 'Hide on map', that means that the Track is currently showing. Hmm.) Again, you can set a colour in the same menu.

What is more (and what is worse), 'Show on map' seems to be not very 'sticky' - at least on my Etrex 30 - the setting sometimes doesn't survive a power cycle, and usually is reset to 'hidden' by adding any new GPX file to ones that are already loaded. (On the older Garmins it is completely 'sticky' and reliable across any amount of power cycles.)

source: http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lwg_19.htm

I don't think I've ever experienced the thing of existing tracks being reset to hidden, though.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 16 October, 2017, 09:19:53 am »
It happens to me a lot, on long tours - it's pointless to set them all to 'show' before setting off because 10 days later the chances of the track you need that day still being set to 'show' are next to nil.

However Kim upthread may have a point, about loose card contact.  This last year I've taken to putting all my GPX onto the GPS, rather than onto the mSD card (which I have always done previously) - and overall reliability especially on long trips has improved by several hundred percent.  It may well also fix the problem of 'show' tracks reverting to hidden over time, but I haven't really tested that.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll