Author Topic: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes  (Read 228879 times)

LEE

Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes
« on: 04 July, 2012, 01:47:19 pm »
As a parallel gallery to the Fully Loaded web site, let's have a gallery of our own touring/camping setups.

Brief is similar but not so rigid. 

1 - Try to post only photos of your bike in an obvious touring role (definitely none propped up against a blank garage wall).
2 - The photo should give a sense of your camping/touring trip.  The photo should have some merit without the bike in there.
3 - The bike should be side on and prominent enough for people to drool over (not just a bike lying on its side on the grass in the distance)
4 - People ARE allowed in the photo but it IS about the bike (so do not obscure any part of the bike with any part of a human if possible)
5 - Give a brief description (no touring stories) - Bike Make & model / Luggage Brand & model / Location / any notable mods or custom bits
6 - Bikes don't need to be fully loaded but you should be carrying luggage, in a touring situation, rather than just riding with a credit card and a saddlebag (the regular gallery has a "Member's Bikes" thread)
7 - Try to curb your natural YACF instincts to reply to a photo post with a humorous comment and thereby repeatedly re-post the same image multiple times (Note..you can always remove your "humorous" comments any time you like in order to clean up the thread, leaving just nice touring bike photos).

Note: The idea of these photos is to make viewers want to jump up, hang some panniers on a bike and ride off to a distant campsite.

The current leader in the (my decision is arbitrary and final) "Best Fully Loaded Touring Bike Photo" is Deano with this one from page 6.

Remember, we want to see the bike clearly, it isn't a holiday snap thread.  It should be clearly a photo of your bike in a nice place (not a nice place that happens to have a bike somewhere in the distance)

Some perfect examples (to show the preferred standard).  See below for contributors...

LEE

Re: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2012, 01:54:37 pm »

Thorn Raven Tour (Rohloff Hub) / Ortleib Bike Packer Plus (rear) & Ortleib Front Rollers.  Altura Bar Bag / Normandy 2012 / Schwalbe Marathons 26x1.5" / SON dynamo and B&M CYO light / slack chain / Dry-bag (for sleep mat) between rear panniers.
Blackburn Rear Rack / Tubus Duo Low-riders (real quality) at front.

Zoom

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2012, 02:15:12 pm »
Oooh, I sense many little moments coming on this thread...   :D

I have a general shortage of decent photos that meet those criteria.  This one's not bad, as its photographic shortcomings[1] serve to further invoke Rule 9:

HPVelotechnik Streetmachine GT with Ortlieb front and back rollers, modified Topeak tri-bag, custom Ortlieb/Camelbak hydration system.  Probably a Cyclaire bag hanging under the seat containing pump and toolkit, too.

Forth road bridge in the pissing rain (my first ever trip to Scotland!).  Waited 30 minutes for the wind to subside a bit before crossing.

The bike has more mods than you can shake a stick at, including: BB7 discs with Tektro levers, SON hub + B&M lighting, upgraded rear wheel, Thorn short cranks with wide-range chainrings, modified propstand, stem botch gadget / lip balm mount, modified Specialized computer.

This one's a better picture of the bike itself, on the way to Bristol after a YACF camping weekend the previous year.  Luggage is Altura Orkney / Halfords fit-anything front panniers, brakes and chainset are original.

[1] The cable wonkiness is an artefact of the bridge bouncing.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2012, 02:21:31 pm »

On the Kylerhea ferry by windy_, on Flickr

A Henry Burton (Aravis) Audax frame - components are constantly changing (bike looks a bit different now) but I'm still using the Agu-sport Quorum canvas panniers

A long time since I've loaded up for a tour. This was taken on the Kylerhea ferry back in 2005. I've done a couple of tours since. The one pictured is when I cycled down to Torridon and spent a weekend with Phil Malcolm, MSeries, Blonde and the Pingus. I then carried on south and then returned to Lewis via Skye and the Uig -Tarbert ferry

From the same trip

The road over the Quirang by windy_, on Flickr

The road to Applecross by windy_, on Flickr

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2012, 02:27:47 pm »

My Roberts Transcontinental at the beach after the Dun Run 2011.  Built up by my own fair hand, it's kitted out with SON hub, IQ Cyo and lots of lovely goodies like Salsa Bell Lap bars and a Tubus Locc rear rack.  35c M+ tyres for bombproof happiness.

Full Ortlieb regalia, plus Arkel big bar bag and tail pack.  The front rack is a non-lowriding variety as I like the extra space above the wheel to bungee yet more crap to.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2012, 02:42:26 pm »

My Dawes Vantage just off the Corran Ferry and on the way up to the Lecht Ski Resort in the Cairngorms last October.

EBC Waterproof panniers on rear and their non-waterproof panniers on the front The tent is a coleman vipor on the top of the rear rack. The Topeak road morph lives on the top tube permanently.

The bike is mainly spec as supplied but with Spa handbuilt wheels (36h Deore LX hubs, rigida snyper rims), charge spoon saddle, M520 spd pedals and an Alivo chainset to lower the gearing. Front racks Avenir alloy lowriders (now replaced with a much nicer tubus tara) and shod with 35mm marathons.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2012, 02:55:35 pm »
On behalf of Chillmoister (left) and Salvatore (right).  They can post details of their lovely touring/camping setups they brought to the YACF Camping weekend at Wyke Down (but I know Chillmoister is on a blue Thorn Raven Tour)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2012, 03:01:27 pm »
And here we get two for the price of one, in front of a slightly overexposed Rutland Water on the camping trip this April:

On the left we have my trusty 2007 vintage (before they switched to cheap sus forks and disc brakes) Dawes Discovery 501, again sporting the Ortlieb front and back roller panniers, and a bike bag in stuff-sack bungeed to the rear rack.  Upgraded with two sturdy A719 wheels with XT and 3N80 dynamo hubs, butterfly bars, rigid seatpost, BG saddle, B&M lighting, Hebie propstand, Topeak rear and modified Halfords front lowrider racks.  Shod with 38mm Schawalbe Marathon Cross tyres for this trip (it normally wears 28mm Marathons for day to day use).

On the right, modelled by the lovely barakta on what is her first loaded bike camping trip, we have her 2011 ICE Sprint RS fitted with the Altura Orkney panniers and a Carradice rack bag.  The trike is mostly stock, with customised hand controls, BB7 discs on the front and Tektro IO on the rear, Marathon Plus tyres, Axa bottle dynamo driving a B&M Cyo and a pair of Spanninga Pixeo rears, assorted gadget mount botchery, and a pair of modified B-Twin mirrors mounted to the mudguard supports.  The flagpole doubles as a half-wave aerial for the FM receiver mounted in the seat pocket, allowing her hearing aid to work in windy/noisy conditions.

Those Altura panniers really are huge...

LindaG

« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2012, 03:13:41 pm »

Taken on Mull a few weeks back.

The bars are new Bontrager ones but I don't know their name.  Comfy though.

2005 Dawes Horizon (aluminium), Carradry front and rear panniers, original rear rack, Tubus Tara front rack, Continental Touring 32 tyres, new wheels - Alivio hubs, mavic rims, 36h.  Deano's nice front Hope 1 light. 

The front (black) 'guard is SKS, lifted from my dead Pompino.  The rear (silver) is the original.

Tent - Coleman Avior 3.  I think.  Bungee'd to the rear rack, underneath

Flipflops - Asda, 2009 vintage.

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2012, 03:33:39 pm »

Mrs epa611 (she's the "e") in Sweden a few years back

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2012, 03:41:43 pm »
The InBred, in Villafrance Del Pendes in April of this year.

And same town, different view:

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2012, 04:02:08 pm »
Oh boy, this thread could be dangerous.

Here's Penny the Roberts in Greece:

Roberts women's tourer, with tubus racks

Ortlieb panniers and an Edinburgh Bike Coop bar bag

Panaracer Paselas

God, I love that bike!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:30:55 pm »

Does this qualify?

picture credit belongs to Kim otp

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:32:44 pm »
same bike,same journey,different location

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67610004@N03/6895284692/in/set-72157629729916603

ETA

Ortlieb Bikepacker rear panniers
Agu Sport Quorum front panniers
Blackburn rear rack
Blackburn low riders front rack
Ortlieb 5ltr barbag
Carradice Camper Longflap on SQR brkt
Topeak Triathlon bag on crossbar

Cannondale M800 Beast of the East frame
35mm slick tyres
Deore XT front & rear mechs
Deore 8 speed XT thumbshifters

« Reply #14 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:42:30 pm »
Ghengis the unstoppable Nomad at the summit of the Bealach na Ba'stard in May 2012.  Tubus racks, Carradice panniers, Ortlieb bar bag, a BikeBuddy for the fuel bottle and a solar panel on the back.

Blue Meanie in the Lofoten Islands, Norway in June 2004.  An Orbit Routier frame with MTB drivetrain and the first set of wheels I ever built. Now relegated to day rides & lighter trips as he shimmies like a bastard with that much weight on!

Blue Meanie on the Rallarvegen in Norway, September 2005.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:44:49 pm »
Do not load your bike like I do.  It handles like a supermarket trolley full of car batteries.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

plum

« Reply #16 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:55:24 pm »
From my holidays a couple of summers ago. Back to France again in three weeks, can't wait.

plum

« Reply #17 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »
Do not load your bike like I do.  It handles like a supermarket trolley full of car batteries.

I bet it's fun trying to get that up a flight of stairs.

« Reply #18 on: 04 July, 2012, 07:00:58 pm »
my glorious LHT on the way to the rutland camping w/end.  It handles better the more weight it carries, which is lucky.

(should have bought ortleibs for the front too.. the carradice were cheaper but v fiddly and flimsy in comparison)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 04 July, 2012, 07:02:53 pm »
Does this qualify?

I'd say so!  You'd have to work quite hard to put any more load on the bike, as evidenced by the spoke deflection being sufficient to foul the rear mech every time you changed all the way down on a steep climb.  I think I tried and failed to pick it up.

I was amused on that trip that someone (I forget who) commented on how *my* bike must be awkward to handle with 'all that weight' on the back - it isn't of course, because a SWB 'bent + rider is naturally front-heavy, so a couple of medium-density rear panniers serve only to improve the traction.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 04 July, 2012, 07:06:56 pm »

Interestingly, if you do have to pack a supermarket trolley with a heavy load, going for a rogerzilla back-heavy approach greatly improves the handling...

« Reply #21 on: 04 July, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »
I recognise that beer gut in Kim's photo  :-[

« Reply #22 on: 04 July, 2012, 07:20:04 pm »
Ghengis & myself posing in front of a well known bridge on a cold, foggy day..

PH

« Reply #23 on: 04 July, 2012, 09:36:28 pm »
The definition of fully loaded seems pretty elastic, not least my own.

The lightest I've toured, too light, it's the only tour where I'd wished I'd packed more.  Bike is my Hewitt Cheviot SE, a great bike that I don't ride enough.  No clues as to where it is, on a island hopping ten day Scottish tour.

Next time I toured Scotland I packed more, more than needed and a lot of it didn't get used, or used so little it wasn't worth taking.  The Bike is my current most ridden, XACD frame and Rohloff that started life in my Thorn Raven.

Happy medium, it took a while to get there, now having used this kit a few times it feels right for me, I haven't felt I needed something I didn't have or take anything that wasn't needed.  Most of my camping is long weekends, with two 10 day tours a year, no winter trips and all UK or Europe, any further or longer and I'd have to think again.   Photo from a couple of weeks ago in Roker at the end of a C2C that was wet, wild and a lot more fun than I expected.

Luggage is Ortlieb Front Rollers, tent separated inner/outer in Alpkit drybags, Pendle saddlebag.  I try and keep the saddle bag pretty empty for provisions or adding/removing clothes on route.  First bar bag is a Vaude leaky newer one a Vaude waterproof.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #24 on: 04 July, 2012, 10:07:55 pm »
Oh, I found another one :)

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!