Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2402034 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #9175 on: 21 July, 2022, 11:59:40 am »
A rear rack (sometimes even a front one) is such an obviously good place to put a light that it's irritating when any rack does not have a mount. Tortec are always good at this, as are, I think, Tubus and Blackburn.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9176 on: 21 July, 2022, 01:00:38 pm »
A rear rack (sometimes even a front one) is such an obviously good place to put a light that it's irritating when any rack does not have a mount.

Yeah, but that sort of practicality wouldn't be bikepacking.  Or something.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9177 on: 21 July, 2022, 01:08:30 pm »
The absence of light fittings long pre-dates the term "bikepacking"!

« Reply #9178 on: 21 July, 2022, 04:15:27 pm »
To be fair to Tailfin, part of the USP is that the rack is easy to remove and fit so you don't have to leave it attached all the time like a standard rack. Given that, it's not surprising they didn't include a light fitting, you'd want that to stay on the bike when you removed the Tailfin.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9179 on: 21 July, 2022, 04:35:10 pm »
Which to be fair to fairlight is exactly the thought process they've followed, allowing a light mount that is not on the rack or if you are using a permanently attached rack, mount it there instead.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9180 on: 21 July, 2022, 06:16:53 pm »
Okay, fair point to Tailfin then. But not to all the others!

« Reply #9181 on: 22 July, 2022, 03:56:57 pm »
Perhaps I didn't think it through but I put my tools and spares in one of the mini-panniers so they were easily accessible and stuff for the evening was in the rack pack.
When I went out one night I wanted the pannier with me but not the pack so I took it off and left it behind, complete with light..........
I did have a light on the pannier but I prefer to have 2 rear lights one of which is stable and central on the bike.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #9182 on: 30 July, 2022, 10:51:07 pm »
Replacement for my Litespeed (her loss will always sting, but this helps). Tripster ATR v3, 105 group, Hunt 4 Season Gravel Discs, Fizik Aliante R5 Open saddle on a Genetic Kayotype carbon post. Like her American sister, fast and stiff yet comfy. Fifty-odd miles on her today, in two stints, to make absolutely sure everything was right before we move on to those meat-and-potatoes centuries. Yup, it is.  :D

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #9183 on: 01 August, 2022, 11:42:11 am »
Hamish by day, Hrimfaxi by night.

Brand new Planet X Hurricane.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #9184 on: 01 August, 2022, 10:47:42 pm »
Hamish by day, Hrimfaxi by night.

Brand new Planet X Hurricane.

Sam
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ElyDave

« Reply #9185 on: 07 August, 2022, 08:57:07 am »
Faran does gravel

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9186 on: 13 August, 2022, 02:14:03 pm »
The Merckx at Castle Eaton this morning.  I can find nothing to criticise about this bike.

20220813_100432 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9187 on: 13 August, 2022, 02:24:53 pm »
Tidy.

ElyDave

« Reply #9188 on: 13 August, 2022, 02:58:35 pm »
There was a guy on a rowing forum I used to inhabit, did a bit of cycling adn had a time trial bike from Planet X that was bright pink, called it the Pink Panther

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9189 on: 14 August, 2022, 04:47:46 pm »
Just fitted a pair of Velo Orange Crazy Bars to the Trucker.

P1020405 by ian, on Flickr

IMG_20220813_175922_376 by ian, on Flickr

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #9190 on: 15 August, 2022, 09:05:10 am »
@IanDG - thoughts on the Velo Orange Crazy Bars so far?

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9191 on: 15 August, 2022, 09:16:16 am »

Only done a couple of rides but so far positive, a nice upright relaxed position. They are way too wide so I've cropped about 3cm off each end. I like the variety of hand positions it gives without being a drop bar (atm I can't ride "on the hoods" because of back and shoulder problems). Riding on grips most of the time but comfortably using 4 different positions.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #9192 on: 15 August, 2022, 09:18:12 am »

Only done a couple of rides but so far positive, a nice upright relaxed position. They are way too wide so I've cropped about 3cm off each end. I like the variety of hand positions it gives without being a drop bar (atm I can't ride "on the hoods" because of back and shoulder problems). Riding on grips most of the time but comfortably using 4 different positions.

Useful info, thanks!.  If I can't sort out my lower back problems I might consider flat bars.

ElyDave

« Reply #9193 on: 17 August, 2022, 08:11:38 am »
Is there a UK importer?

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9194 on: 17 August, 2022, 08:47:19 am »
Is there a UK importer?

A few, difficult to get hold of but I managed to source from Freshtripe

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9195 on: 17 August, 2022, 01:45:52 pm »
There's logic in that craziness. I think Surly do something similar as well, which might be easier to get hold of.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9196 on: 17 August, 2022, 06:59:02 pm »
Koga Denham too

« Reply #9197 on: 22 August, 2022, 08:50:06 pm »
On the road to St Ives (LEL2022), multi-modal cycle-camping (but only 25kms each way to/from the bus; there was a more important mission!)

waiting for the (1st) bus at Bicester

on the road from St Neots to St Ives

Got there!

It would be nice to say it was a total success - but not true. The fork-end rack screws were too short to take a backing nut and one was completely unscrewed, although still trapped in the tunnel on the rack, by the time I got to St Ives. (I now have some longer ones to go in.) There was also some lack of rigidity in the telescopic stem which doesn't show up without a loaded front -end, due to it being tightened on a nylon bush (although there is a steel guide in there as well) so the inertia of the bags and the lack of ridity made for an alarming lag in steering and great difficulty in dodging holes in the road! Fixing the bags more securely would also help but the priority was a rapid release from the carrier to save time when packing the bike up to go on the bus.
Finally it appears that the jubilee clip stopping the seat pillar from sinking had slipped (not much, less than 1cm) which gave a serious knee problem with the leg with the replacement knee joint (partly due to my forcing a bit on a jaunt to and from Cambridge and not helped by being on my feet much of the time at the control). It is only just starting to come right again. 170mm cranks really are a tad too long for the replacement joint.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9198 on: 23 August, 2022, 07:49:16 am »
For an instant I thought you'd ridden LEL on that. But people have done it on an Eliptigo, so why not?  :o

« Reply #9199 on: 23 August, 2022, 12:47:06 pm »
For an instant I thought you'd ridden LEL on that. But people have done it on an Eliptigo, so why not?  :o

Four riders attempted to ride LEL on Bromptons, albeit with not as much luggage as on the photo above. They all made it at least to Barnard Castle. How many finished, I don't know.

A