Author Topic: Cyclist down on Victoria Street 10/01/2012  (Read 5345 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Cyclist down on Victoria Street 10/01/2012
« on: 10 January, 2012, 12:56:08 pm »
Part of Victoria street currently closed off at junction of Artillery Row for police incident investigation.  Mangled cycle and personal effects scattered on site.  Doesn’t look good, hope the person is ok, or at least will be ok.  :(

I was just walking along and as one side of the road is scaffolded and hoarded off you can’t actually see the junction until you are right on it – so it was a sudden and shocking sight.

Edit:  I use that junction a lot and there is a lot of heavy construction traffic moving across there either to the site immediately across the road or to/from several of the other nearby sites.  The driving of such vehicles is of the usual variable quality, some excellent some appalling.

Re: Cyclist down on Victoria Street 10/01/2012
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2012, 01:19:10 pm »
I saw it happen.  Words can't express it at the moment.  One of the worst days of my life.  I hope he'll be ok too.  I'm waiting for the police to call me.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2012, 01:25:25 pm »
I saw it happen.  Words can't express it at the moment.  One of the worst days of my life.  I hope he'll be ok too.  I'm waiting for the police to call me.

So sorry for you, that must have been horrible.

« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2012, 01:37:55 pm »
It's what every cyclist dreads.  The police just called for a statement and said they think he's going to survive which is a miracle in itself as the back wheels ran over him.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2012, 01:47:45 pm »
Appreciate you will need to be circumspect in what you post here, CptBob, but hope you're going to be OK. Watch out ofr delayed shock and please don't ride yourself unless you're feeling 100%.

Let's hope the injured rider is OK and, ideally, not of this parish.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2012, 02:27:30 pm »
Sorry you had to witness such a sight, CptBob. Fingers crossed for the cyclist.

I've stopped using Victoria Street. On the days when I get the train into Victoria, I used to go round the one-way system and down Victoria Street to Parliament Sq. Never much liked the road but it's become worse since the roadworks started, especially at that junction. I can picture exactly where this accident happened, and what's more upsetting is that I can guess pretty much how it happened.  :(

These days, I go down Vauxhall Bridge Rd instead, on to Rochester Row and down Great Peter Street to Millbank. A longer way round but a wee bit more pleasant - joining Vauxhall Br Rd from Victoria is nasty though, because you have to filter from the right across three lanes of traffic. And I still have to negotiate the awful Parliament Square and Westminster Bridge.

Incidents like this just reinforce my wish that I could find a nicer but equally quick way to get from Victoria to work. And I consider myself a pretty fearless cyclist.  :-\

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2012, 02:30:34 pm »
Awful - I cannot imagine witnessing anything worse.

I just hope that the rider is getting the best attention possible and makes a full recovery.

Redlight's advice about your own shock is very sound.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #7 on: 10 January, 2012, 02:38:27 pm »
And I consider myself a pretty fearless cyclist.  :-\

d.

I do too and it's scared me shitless.

« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2012, 04:24:58 pm »
Hope he get's well soon

« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »
And I consider myself a pretty fearless cyclist.  :-\

d.

I do too and it's scared me shitless.

Horrible thing to see. Take care of yourself CptBob. I hope the cyclist makes a full recovery.

« Reply #10 on: 11 January, 2012, 02:43:09 pm »
The police called me today again to make an appointment for me to give a statement in person.  She told me that the cyclist was sitting up in bed and talking last night.  That at least sounds hopeful.

« Reply #11 on: 11 January, 2012, 03:31:05 pm »
It may help your recovery from the shock if you visit him.
And I'm sure it would be good for him as well.

I've been in both positions - victim and witness, so speak from my own experience.
But it's always possible that I'm just odd :)

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #12 on: 11 January, 2012, 03:52:24 pm »
It's a great relief to hear that the guy is sitting up in bed and chatting.
I know/know of four people that have been run over by lorries and emerged with injuries far less severe than would be conceived possible. The fear of what could have been can be quite haunting though, it's good to talk through those fears.
Another cyclist was hit by a second lorry moments after this first collision. The cyclist walked away apparently.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #13 on: 11 January, 2012, 03:57:37 pm »
Cam Phil, I don't think you're odd.  There's a thread on lgfss - he's been visited by some of his courier mates who report that he's had an operation but his leg is in a bad way.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #14 on: 11 January, 2012, 04:19:52 pm »
Good news.  :thumbsup:

Hope his leg makes a full and swift recovery.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."