Author Topic: Spoke breakage  (Read 1016 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Spoke breakage
« on: 21 June, 2017, 12:15:24 pm »
Got the bike out of the garage on Monday morning and noticed the rear wheel rubbing. Most odd. Then I spotted the reason - a spoke breakage, snapped at the end of the threaded section, just inside the nipple. Probably happened on the short section of bumpy trail I went down at the very end of my ride on Sunday because it had been fine for the rest of the ride.

It's a cheap off-the-peg wheel and I've been suspicious of its build quality before, so rather than just stick a replacement spoke in (it came with three spares), I went round the whole wheel and loosened off all the spokes so I can do the job properly. Some of them seemed to be very 'wound up'.

I note that some kind of threadlock seems to have been used in the original assembly. Is it worth completely disassembling the wheel, cleaning the spoke threads and rebuilding with fresh oil?

I believe the current spokes are Sapim D-Light, so should be decent enough quality.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Spoke breakage
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2017, 06:48:44 pm »
you might break one or two more spokes now (whether you stress-relieve or not) but the other spokes ought to be OK provided you stress-relieve the wheel.

cheers

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2017, 07:26:09 pm »
Since you've loosened the spokes now, the threads should be cleaned and lubricated if they're hard to tighten.  I would do them one at a time in situ.  Fresh threadlock can be used if you like (counts as a lube while wet).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2017, 04:52:18 pm »
you might break one or two more spokes now

Yes, I fear you may be right. If one is already fatigued to the point of breaking, it stands to reason that others might be as well...

Since you've loosened the spokes now, the threads should be cleaned and lubricated if they're hard to tighten.  I would do them one at a time in situ.  Fresh threadlock can be used if you like (counts as a lube while wet).

Just been reading up what Roger Musson says about threadlock. Hmmm... Think I'll stick to oil.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."