Author Topic: Recommend a headset press  (Read 2598 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Recommend a headset press
« on: 21 June, 2017, 10:10:36 pm »
I have a couple of steel frames and I'll be installing steel headsets in them during the next couple of weeks. This job is possible with a hammer and wooden blocks, but I expect a press would offer more control and make the job easier. Reviews/recommendations would be welcome.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Recommend a headset press
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2017, 10:13:26 pm »
A bit of threaded rod, a couple of appropriate nuts and some washers big enough to press on the edges of your headset cups

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2017, 10:16:45 pm »
Cyclus - very beefy without costing huge money like Park's.   (Hope you're not vegetarian).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2017, 10:23:04 pm »
Another vote for the Cyclus here. Absolutely does the job.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2017, 10:34:41 pm »
Cyclus.

« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2017, 10:43:38 pm »
Cyclus

« Reply #6 on: 21 June, 2017, 10:46:06 pm »
Threaded rod home-spun job will work but if by chance the rod is not perfectly straight or some of the threading is a bit off, there is a risk that the races won’t end up perfectly parallel.

I’ve used a home made version but the Cyclus gives much more confidence - very solid. Worth it for £40.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7 on: 21 June, 2017, 11:00:53 pm »
A Record sash cramp.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2017, 06:45:35 am »
It cost me £5 at my local indi bike repair place... this was after trying to push home the headset using my home made threaded bar clamp which resulted in a couple of chips to the paint due to the extremely close tolerances on Hope headsets making it difficult.  I wish I had spent that £5 sooner!
Regards,

Joergen

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:19:05 am »
Cyclus or see  http://www.beewee.org.uk/generaldocs/briefings/robsbriefings-2.pdf   for a home-brewed tool (before I bought a Cyclus)

That said if you came to the shop where I work part-time with the frame (without forks) and new headset we'd take the old cups out with the correct tool, clean the headtube and insert the new cups for about a tenner while you wait

Rob

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 22 June, 2017, 12:56:57 pm »
I've used the hammer and block of wood method with no problems but wouldn't do it on anything but a steel headset.  Have also used the threaded rod and washers but it's awkward.  Then I bought a Cyclus press.

A fork crown race setter is still needed unless you have a split crown race.  They are not too expensive compared to a headset press.  Any heavy tube that just fits over the steerer will work but you have to find one; old frame tubes aren't really heavy enough but an oversize steel steerer from a scrap fork is more hefty and might fit (the ID is not standardised).  You'll never find one for a 1 1/8" headset, though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2017, 01:22:31 pm »
I cannot recall where you are based Mr Cake, but if you are anywhere near
 Rutland, I can press said races in for you  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2017, 01:42:15 pm »
Is anything near Rutland?

« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2017, 03:14:59 pm »
It cost me £5 at my local indi bike repair place... this was after trying to push home the headset using my home made threaded bar clamp which resulted in a couple of chips to the paint due to the extremely close tolerances on Hope headsets making it difficult.  I wish I had spent that £5 sooner!

Where's that then? I have a homebrew jobby but about to install an expensive headset on my new frame and rather not bodge it.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14 on: 22 June, 2017, 03:25:26 pm »
Spokes Chelmsford (just up Beehive Lane in the little industrial estate opps the karate school)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #15 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:15:03 pm »
Spokes Chelmsford (just up Beehive Lane in the little industrial estate opps the karate school)
Cheers Jibber. Looking at the headset it has a nice bevelled edge so might slip in quite neatly. Will have a go and if it doesn't work will be a trip to spokes.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16 on: 22 June, 2017, 10:49:43 pm »
I thought the same and chipped the paint on mine... Good spend of £5!
Regards,

Joergen

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 23 June, 2017, 10:05:22 pm »
You can get an excellent headset cup remover (aka rocket tool) on eBay for about £14 for the other end of the job.  It makes things rather easier than using a long screwdriver and a hammer.  Just pull it though the head tube until it clicks and whack it a few times with a mallet.  The tool most people do without is the crown race remover, because there isn't a single tool that works on all frames and they normally come off ok with some gentle tapping.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #18 on: 24 June, 2017, 04:16:09 pm »
Thanks for the tips and the recommendations. It looks like Cyclus is the clear favourite for a headset press. Although I expect I'd be fine using a rod-and-washers press, the collective wisdom of YACF says a proper press makes the job easier. I've had no problems removing headset cups and installing crown races using spare tubing.

Do you know of a UK retailer of Cyclus? (My Google fu turns up RoseBikes in Germany, but I'd need to order a few items from Rose to make the shopping costs worthwhile.)

« Reply #19 on: 24 June, 2017, 04:38:14 pm »
Rust never sleeps

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #20 on: 24 June, 2017, 04:49:49 pm »
Or Merlin, £43. https://www.merlincycles.com/cyclus-headset-press-92123.html

Note there's 2 sizes - either for 1" and 1 1/8", or for 1.5". So make sure you are buying the correct version.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #21 on: 25 June, 2017, 10:00:46 am »
Thanks. I've just ordered the Cyclus press from Merlin.