Author Topic: Being tracked on an iphone  (Read 2808 times)

Being tracked on an iphone
« on: 09 October, 2011, 02:37:44 pm »
I have an iPhone and was wondering if anyone knew if it would be possible for MrsF to follow my Audax exploits while I'm on the road.  If there was an app that anyone knew of it that broadcast my location/progress over the course of a ride it would be really helpful.

Any thoughts anyone?

Liam

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Being tracked on an iphone
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2011, 02:44:45 pm »
The Lurker of this parish has a cow orker that uses an app that does this.

Sorry, my brain is like a sieve and I forgot what the app was!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2011, 02:46:53 pm »
I've been using google's latitude for this. 'Tis free, and it's also possible to embed the location into a web page for general viewing (did this on a 600 so the wife of the gentleman I was riding with could track us easily without having to join Google).

« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »
Does this work automatically or do I have to check in at certain places?  I'm interested in something automated but just can't find anything which seems to do the job without being triggered by me making a call or having to check in

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2011, 03:03:37 pm »
The app I'm referring to does it automatically.
It is simpler than it looks.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2011, 03:56:58 pm »
Find my iPhone will show where you are on a map but you need a MobileMe account for that I think.

Mapmyride can be setvto tweet your location periodically I think?

« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2011, 04:13:45 pm »
iMapMyRide will tweet or post to Facebook at set intervals. When I did it for Lap the Lough 2011 it tweeted the time and distance but not position. Unfortunately the app has stopped working on my phone (probably wants a re-install) so I can't check whether there are option to choose the data that gets posted.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

AndyK

« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2011, 04:20:10 pm »
Cyclemeter might do it.

« Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2011, 04:59:26 pm »
Does this work automatically or do I have to check in at certain places?  I'm interested in something automated but just can't find anything which seems to do the job without being triggered by me making a call or having to check in

As long as you've got it turned on Latitude updates every 10 minutes or so. You can set it to report varying levels of location which will affect how often it updates. Mines on all the time anyway (makes me findable for the small number of people who know how to track it if I'm on silent), so I just throw it in the carradice and off I go.

« Reply #9 on: 09 October, 2011, 05:04:26 pm »
No good for iphones, but for android, locale can tweet / email / sms a gmap link to your location, triggered by timer / location (GPS or network derived) /incoming text (code word or contact filter) / incoming email (code word or contact filter). You can combine the triggers and outputs too. When out on a rode, I have my phone set to sms my location every hour and whenever my wife texts me. Did set it to tweet too, but network coverage was very limited when I tried, and I have 3000 texts a month that I never use.

« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2011, 05:07:08 pm »
I don't know if there's an iPhone version, but SportsTracker Pro does a great job of that... you can see on a Google map in real-time where you are.

« Reply #11 on: 09 October, 2011, 05:12:26 pm »
http://www.sportstracklive.com/

Sorry doesn't look like they have iPhone ...

« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2011, 08:22:38 am »
You could try GLYMPSE

« Reply #13 on: 14 October, 2011, 11:04:38 pm »
Find my Friends:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/find-my-friends/id466122094?mt=8

Available since iOS5 was released, free app.

Frere

« Reply #14 on: 16 October, 2011, 09:40:26 am »
All loaded and off to test it now

« Reply #15 on: 16 October, 2011, 02:16:26 pm »
Pretty good.  My wife was able to see where I was when she checked to within a few hundred metres - which is pretty well what I wanted.

It would be nice if it showed the route I'd taken but i8t just shows a fixed point where I happen to be at the moment she looks.

The upside was that there was a cup of tea waiting when I got home!

L

« Reply #16 on: 17 October, 2011, 10:07:18 am »
Which one worked for you?

« Reply #17 on: 17 October, 2011, 10:19:49 am »
Using Find my friends app on an Iphone 4 with the newest OS