Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1109289 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #6925 on: 25 March, 2021, 10:08:22 pm »
My big worry is that based on my experience of teaching Freddie, telling a student or parent that they are looking at 100 hrs plus of driving time would make me look like a shyster. There’s no magic bullet to gaining the necessary awareness if you’re challenged so, and you need to spend time behind the wheel with someone who won’t shout at you or freak out every time you try to kill them. I’d not thought to extend my practice to include people with other disabilities. That would required me to do a lot of studying to best understand when a person shouldn’t/couldn’t drive, but I think it would be immensely rewarding to help people gain mobility.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6926 on: 26 March, 2021, 12:10:14 am »
Yeah, very difficult isn't it. Over-learning is sometimes the only option for people who find spatial stuff difficult. Or have other types of learning difference. There are strategies you can do obviously, but practice practice practice is also huge.

And yeah, it wouldn't be an easy career change, not least trying to show yourself as not like the shysters and building up a customer base via trust and teaching yourself about broader disability stuff on top of learning to drive-instruct.

But you could do it, especially if you got yourself some proper Disability Equality Training by actual proper politically disabled people with the relevant impairments so learned more about a range of needs and approaches.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6927 on: 29 March, 2021, 04:39:54 pm »
I’ve just booked a weekend away in North Yorkshire at the end of April. I’m going to get fitted for boots at Alt-Berg. First time we’ve been away from home for about 6 months (our Christmas trip was cancelled).

We’ll be staying in a posh shepherd’s hut on a farm just north of Richmond...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6928 on: 29 March, 2021, 08:25:54 pm »
Altberg boots are very good. But you could have stayed at home and been measured for them at open Air!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6929 on: 30 March, 2021, 07:15:08 am »
Altberg boots are very good. But you could have stayed at home and been measured for them at open Air!

Open Air don’t stock all the boots and sizes.   Whilst I generally rate Open Air I’ve had some poor service around boots. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6930 on: 02 April, 2021, 05:46:22 pm »
I have to admit that the Alt-Berg shop/factory really wasn't what I was expecting - a quite modern building on a small trading estate.

I do like their boots though - currently I've got four pairs of boots and one pair of walking shoes, each with their own specific use (although I do have both the high and mid length Hogg All Weather). It was the latter that I called in to buy; there seems to be a real lack of good leather walking shoes nowadays.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6931 on: 15 April, 2021, 09:57:40 am »
Yesterday was a good day.

First, I booked my jab - got an appointment for Tuesday. And this time there's no likelihood of it being cancelled.

Then, because it was a sunny evening and I'm owed a few hours of my life back, I clocked off work early and went for an MTB ride in the woods - all the way to the brewery, where I enjoyed a real actual pint of real actual beer straight from the cask.

Sunny evening in Clowes Wood by citoyen, on Flickr

Actual pint by citoyen, on Flickr
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6932 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:33:00 am »
That all looks about perfect, though next time perhaps you ought to pack a real glass glass.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

« Reply #6933 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:46:14 am »
That all looks about perfect, though next time perhaps you ought to pack a real glass glass.

I noticed that some other customers were drinking from real glasses, so that was a tad disappointing.

The beer itself was most excellent though - a classic hoppy English bitter (made with locally grown EKG hops, of course). Just 3.8% abv but packed with flavour.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6934 on: 15 April, 2021, 11:15:31 am »

I noticed that some other customers were drinking from real glasses, so that was a tad disappointing.

The beer itself was most excellent though - a classic hoppy English bitter (made with locally grown EKG hops, of course). Just 3.8% abv but packed with flavour.

Git!  :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6936 on: 23 April, 2021, 12:25:05 pm »
Malaria vaccine 77% effective! https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/23/oxford-malaria-vaccine-proves-highly-effective-in-burkina-faso-trial
I would be so keen to get that.  A fortnight of virtually total insomnia with Malarone left me almost paranoid.

citoyen

« Reply #6937 on: 23 April, 2021, 02:48:39 pm »
I got shortlisted for an industry award today. Yay! Second year running. (Didn't win last year. Boo!)

Might go out for a pint to celebrate - seems like as good an excuse as any.

« Reply #6938 on: 23 April, 2021, 04:18:13 pm »
I got shortlisted for an industry award today. Yay! Second year running. (Didn't win last year. Boo!)

Might go out for a pint to celebrate - seems like as good an excuse as any.
Congratulations

citoyen

« Reply #6939 on: 23 April, 2021, 04:30:51 pm »
Ta! These awards (PPA) don’t enjoy the status they once had, but still looks good on the CV if you win.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6940 on: 23 April, 2021, 05:19:37 pm »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6941 on: 03 June, 2021, 10:26:25 pm »
We got an offer for our flat today  :D

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #6942 on: 03 June, 2021, 10:36:20 pm »
Yay.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6943 on: 28 June, 2021, 05:18:32 pm »
We got an offer accepted on a house today  :D

Thank fuck, I was in danger of losing all my marbles.

« Reply #6944 on: 28 June, 2021, 05:19:06 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6945 on: 28 June, 2021, 05:34:47 pm »
Is this the one you dreamed about all weekend?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6946 on: 28 June, 2021, 05:46:29 pm »
Hoist the gin pennant!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6947 on: 28 June, 2021, 06:03:15 pm »
Is this the one you dreamed about all weekend?
It is indeed, although we viewed another nice one on Sunday, liked them both and had to make a decision this morning which one to offer for. Fortunately our seller accepted because the Sunday house was gone by the time our seller got back to us.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6948 on: 28 June, 2021, 06:51:27 pm »
My god, but houses are selling fast.  I was in Lampeter today to visit tip and to collect niece off bus from Aberwristwatch.  While she and .Mrs B perused a haberdasher's I had a look in a mistake agent window.  Every property in the window was either 'sold or 'under offer.  :-\
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6949 on: 28 June, 2021, 07:49:22 pm »
Step away from the milk.