Author Topic: "Flying Scotsman", tonight 11.30pm BBC1  (Read 1299 times)

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
"Flying Scotsman", tonight 11.30pm BBC1
« on: 27 March, 2011, 11:15:34 pm »
"Flying Scotsman", tonight 11.30pm BBC1
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

border-rider

Re: "Flying Scotsman", tonight 11.30pm BBC1
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2011, 11:17:39 pm »
Ta :)

Recording machine duly set.

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2011, 05:21:39 pm »
I enjoyed it but it's all a bit simplistic.  A good rainy Sunday afternoon flick.

It's a shame they didn't get a track cyclist body-double for the Velodrome shots because it all looks very slow and sedate, like an indoor Audax.
I think that's what lets the film down more than anything, there's a lack of drama and excitement in the world record attempts. 

The documentary about Boardman and his final 1-hour record demonstrates just how exciting it can be.

A decent enough film but it's not until you see Obree on Youtube that you realise just how quick the fella was (is?) and how extreme his "Superman" was compared to the Johnny Lee Miller's in the film.

Billy Weir

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2011, 05:26:59 pm »
Am now knackered because I was suckered in to watching it by it's roots in cycling and Scotland.  Come 1:10am, I ended up with the same sense as Lee.

It was, however, rather novel (and slightly disconcerting) to see people cycling on the screen.  Just goes to suggest how rare that image actually is.

I reckon I could have Johnny Lee Millar in a race though....

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2011, 05:37:45 pm »
There was a very good documentary about the hour record rivalry between Obree and Boardman in the early 90s. It's on Youtube in seven parts. That period inspired a resurgence of time trialling.

YouTube
        - Obree Documentry Part 1

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2011, 08:09:46 pm »
Lee, thanks for the youtube pointer.  Also GO talking about the film, and how WVM was an inspiration...   <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/c6MWojw1BFs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/c6MWojw1BFs&rel=1</a>
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2011, 12:47:56 am »
Just watched it on I Player, he's always been one of my heroes. In light of recent revelations, I found it especially poignant.