Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3000808 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Probably a better plan, tablet is one of those things that tastes ok for a nibble, and then you realise thereafter that you're just effectively eating a bag of sugar.

This reminds me... I discovered recently that Kendal Mint Cake has been rebranded as 'KMC NRG' and is now available in energy gel format. Because who doesn't like mint-flavoured snot?

(This apparently happened a few years ago so may not be news to the rest of you.)
News to me! I'm quite a fan of Kendal Mint Cake, preferably the brown version* and preferably in small portions. But I'm utterly untempted to try the gel format.

*Brown = wholefood = healthy, of course. What's that, it's still 99% sugar? Well yes, that's the point of it! (no, I just think the brown one tastes nicer; muscovado is also my favourite type of sugar)
99% natural ingredients then.
Totally healthy.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Do they stick a big GLUTEN-FREE! on the label too. That seems to be a trend now.

Not only is it GLUTEN-FREE! it is also VEGAN!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I'm surprised they've not made an ORGANICVEGANGLUTENFREE version
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Davef

Do they stick a big GLUTEN-FREE! on the label too. That seems to be a trend now.

Not only is it GLUTEN-FREE! it is also VEGAN!
Not sure vegans would be happy with the milk listed in the ingredients unless I have misunderstood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davef

I see the conversation has moved on from tablet to Kendall mint cake. Oops.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
IME the only reason for carrying an ice axe in very cold conditions is to break up the Kendal mint cake - save great harm to hands, boots or landscape.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Standing in the kitchen cooking dinner, there was a loud "pop" and all the lights went out.   Nothing else affected , just the ceiling lights for the entire flat.   Checked the fuse box & the circuit breaker had tripped.  Reset it & there is light again , but now I'm wondering why ?   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
IME the only reason for carrying an ice axe in very cold conditions is to break up the Kendal mint cake - save great harm to hands, boots or landscape.

Don't forget teeth.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

Don't forget teeth.
Harm to teeth can be saved by not eating KMC at all.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen

Don't forget teeth.
Harm to teeth can be saved by not eating KMC at all.
TEETH WILL BE PROVIDED
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Having noticed that it's our 7 year civilisation anniversary, I dispatched barakta to the interwebs to find out what the traditional gift was.  The interwebs' suggestions were confusing and naff, so I propose a new system:  Anniversary gifts of elements, in order of atomic number.

Naturally, in light of current events, I'm now thinking it would have been useful if we'd procrastinated a bit less.   :facepalm:

A friend suggested that nitrogen would be a fun gift in its liquid form, but a cursory google search lead me to semen far quicker than I expected.

(OTOH, if you go by the years we've actually been together you get potassium, which is also an exciting gift option...)

nicknack

• Hornblower
That's an idea. But Yttrium? Zirconium next year would be a bit easier.

Having wiki'd it, I find Yttrium is used all over the place. High performance spark plug it is then.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ElyDave

Hmm, need to find some Scandium by next week.  Ti next year should be a bit easier, I can buy her a spork

Happy Anniversary to the two of you  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Hmm, need to find some Scandium by next week.  Ti next year should be a bit easier, I can buy her a spork

Humph. Ours'd've been tin last September.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Having noticed that it's our 7 year civilisation anniversary, I dispatched barakta to the interwebs to find out what the traditional gift was.  The interwebs' suggestions were confusing and naff, so I propose a new system:  Anniversary gifts of elements, in order of atomic number.

Naturally, in light of current events, I'm now thinking it would have been useful if we'd procrastinated a bit less.   :facepalm:

A friend suggested that nitrogen would be a fun gift in its liquid form, but a cursory google search lead me to semen far quicker than I expected.

(OTOH, if you go by the years we've actually been together you get potassium, which is also an exciting gift option...)
Potassium nitrate: saltpetre.
We want videos!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Semen is forever.  At least if you shine a UV light on it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Good news everyone!
You won't die because a lack of ventilators!

That genius of design, builder of the world's best electric car, Dyson, is coming to the rescue!

He is going to design a new, simpler medical ventilator.

Prediction: it will suck.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Just so long as Sinclair doesn't decide to do the same...!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Hmmm.....C5....C19 ....should we be told something?

ElyDave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52010859

The last known Slave taken to the USA was still alive during WWII, somewhat mindboggling

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Good news everyone!

That genius of design, builder of the world's best electric car, Dyson, is coming to the rescue!

...but not very hard.

Good news everyone!

...but not very hard.
In latest news, the government have ordered 10 000 of these non-medically-approved brand-new design ventilators.

Anyone fancy being one of the first (critically ill) patients to use one?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

If it were the choice of that or ceasing to breathe, probably.

Davef

Not just here. Mass produced could save tens of thousands of lives worldwide. It will go through an accelerated testing and approval.

The Manley ventilator of the 1950s which does not require electricity was prototypes over a weekend. There is an “open source” 3D printable version that is undergoing testing.

One electrically operated version from the 1950s used sturmy archer hub gears.