Author Topic: Japanese earthquake.  (Read 48917 times)

Clandy

Japanese earthquake.
« on: 11 March, 2011, 08:15:31 am »
Watching Japanese earthquake coverage. Seeing the tsunami tearing across open fields approaching roads full of moving traffic… horrific, terrifying, heartbreaking. I can't imagine the terror of seeing that approach and knowing there's nothing you can do.

Japan Tsunami: Video, Photos of 8.9 Earthquake, March 11, 2011 | NowPublic News Coverage

Re: Japanese earthquake.
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2011, 08:30:11 am »
Mrs B can't get through to any of her family.

They're not near the epicentre, & I don't think any of them is at risk from the tsunami, but the reports of the effect on Tokyo are bad enough to worry her.

Probably, the phone network is overloaded.

She has friends in the north-east.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2011, 08:47:59 am »
It looked horrendous.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Clandy

« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:02:06 am »
Red Cross says the biggest concern now is the tsunami as it is higher than many Pacific islands.

Tsunami may wash over Pacific islands, fears Red Cross -
                    Asia, World - The Independent

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2011, 10:23:58 am »
The sight of cars hooning along the roads trying to stay ahead of the mass bearing down on them - including large ships and several fires - was just dreadful to watch.

I found myself staring at the TV agape - with a feeling a lot like I had during the terror attack on the WTC.

« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2011, 10:32:15 am »
I lost a very close friend in the boxing day tsunami. The waiting to hear if he and his wife and daughter were ok was excruciating.

Fingers crossed for Mrs B's friends and relatives.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 11 March, 2011, 10:34:11 am »
It's just BSOD-gawp horrible.  Water would be bad enough, but in the movies it's not so damn relentless and it has fewer trucks and houses in it.  From the air it looks like Hedorah has metastasized.

The tsunami was clocked at 10m over Sendai airport.  
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2011, 10:53:21 am »
Her family should be safe from the tsunami. Her brother-in-law & sister would have been at work, & they're going to have trouble getting home. Too far to walk, & the trains stopped.

Mother would probably have been at home. No family under threat from the tsunami, I think. Grandfathers house might be (but tsunami should be smaller there - down south), but there shouldn't be anyone in it, & the valuables are with her uncle. Grandfather's in a solid modern nursing home on a hill a safe distance from the epicentre.

Friend in the north-east, who I've met in Tokyo - she'll worry about her & her husband & children when she's checked on the family.

Phone net is jammed, still can't get through.

Ah  - Roger Musson of the impressive beard is on the Beeb. 6th biggest earthquake measured. Biggest in Japan. Thousands of times the energy of the Canterbury quake.

Cold up north. Going to be miserable for those washed out. Can't fly in aid to Sendai. Airport washed over by the tsunami. Buildings stood up to it, but everything else washed away.

Been in a few small ones over there. The biggest shook the house enough for Mrs Bs mother to switch off the gas cooker & run to the safest spot in the house, crying "Jishin!". It's the only one I've been in which triggered the emergency procedure - TV channels all switched to the regional emergency control centre. The epicentre of that was on the other side of Tokyo, in Chiba, & from what I've seen on TV it shook Tokyo less than this one did - & this one's hundreds of km away.

State of emergency declared, of course.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2011, 10:58:15 am »
It's just BSOD-gawp horrible.  Water would be bad enough, but in the movies it's not so damn relentless and it has fewer trucks and houses in it.  
Film-makers generally like childish Crash! Bang! walls of water, rather than the less spectacular but more inexorable debris-laden reality.

« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:07:11 am »
A friend has family in Zushi. Hoping she doesn't have any bad news.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #10 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:16:29 am »
The joy of clicking on a video report on the Tsunami and listening to a gocompare advert first.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:18:17 am »
horrible, the footage combined with the initally optimistic "20 injured" reports. I'm glad I'm out the office and can't watch any more.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #12 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:18:42 am »
Just heard that people in central Tokyo are in calm & orderly queues for buses & taxis, & waiting for the green man at pedestrian crossings. Warms the cockles of my heart, that.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:23:23 am »
The sight of cars hooning along the roads trying to stay ahead of the mass bearing down on them - including large ships and several fires - was just dreadful to watch.

I found myself staring at the TV agape - with a feeling a lot like I had during the terror attack on the WTC.
Quite.

Watched Clandy's link, so not great quality, but still the most shocking video I've ever seen. That was twice as horrific as anything filmed on 9/11.

Makes you glad to live in boring-old (relatively) safe Britain.  :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Clandy

Clandy

« Reply #15 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:37:19 am »
Hawaii tsunami watch now upgraded to coastal evacuation order.

Clandy

« Reply #16 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:38:11 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SD_6eHW4xj0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SD_6eHW4xj0&rel=1</a>

Chris S

« Reply #17 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:49:16 am »
Hawaii tsunami watch now upgraded to coastal evacuation order.

Cue the nutters with surf boards  ::-)

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #18 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:56:25 am »
The tsunami was clocked at 10m over Sendai airport.  

Shit, we've got friends in Sendai, I hope they found somewhere safe.

« Reply #19 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:58:44 am »
Word from Mrs B's mother. She's fine. Sister & brother-in-law are also fine, but stuck at work. Spending the night in their offices.

Other relatives OK.

Mother's house undamaged. Sister's flat should be fine. Modern block nearby. She'd know if it had gone.

LindaG

« Reply #20 on: 11 March, 2011, 12:02:19 pm »
Word from Mrs B's mother. She's fine. Sister & brother-in-law are also fine, but stuck at work. Spending the night in their offices.

Other relatives OK.

Mother's house undamaged. Sister's flat should be fine. Modern block nearby. She'd know if it had gone.

Thank goodness Bledlow. 

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 11 March, 2011, 12:05:24 pm »
Our Exchange family are in the Kyoto/Nara area, so pretty sure they'll be fine, although her dad works in Tokyo.
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #22 on: 11 March, 2011, 12:10:39 pm »
Breaking is an evacuation around one of the nuke sites, here's hoping it's precautionary. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #23 on: 11 March, 2011, 12:17:20 pm »
The cooling system has failed. Still say it's unlikely to leak due to the containment shell.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #24 on: 11 March, 2011, 12:21:54 pm »
Our Exchange family are in the Kyoto/Nara area, so pretty sure they'll be fine, although her dad works in Tokyo.
Kyoto & Nara are too far away for earthquake damage, & inland. They can feed the shika in Nara-koen.