Author Topic: Japanese earthquake.  (Read 48954 times)

Re: Japanese earthquake.
« Reply #400 on: 04 November, 2011, 03:06:29 pm »
What's so amazing about those photos is just the amount of debris that must have been cleared.  The last shots demonstrate that the most, I didn't think it was the same view until I looked at the distant features, so much of the road was hidden by debris, including entire buildings.

The first set is a bit amusing, in that the same van appears in all three views.  Either it was regularly parked at the same location, or for some unknown reason it wasn't removed like all the other, presumably damaged, vehicles were.
Actually, it is rocket science.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #401 on: 04 November, 2011, 03:30:24 pm »
What gets me is how little recovery has happened.  Debris cleared, and grass growing: that's really it. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #402 on: 04 November, 2011, 03:47:06 pm »
The first set is a bit amusing, in that the same van appears in all three views.  Either it was regularly parked at the same location, or for some unknown reason it wasn't removed like all the other, presumably damaged, vehicles were.

It probably belongs to the photographer.  ::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #403 on: 04 November, 2011, 06:50:59 pm »
Pea roast, CLINT.

The airport was sorted quickly, wasn't it?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #404 on: 04 November, 2011, 06:58:56 pm »
It's a way further inland than the coastal villages, so it was on the edge of the inundation belt.  It got a good flooding but not the debris horrorshow that the coastal kilometre got.

Plus, I guess it's good to fix it early so you have infrastructure stuff going on. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #405 on: 04 November, 2011, 11:44:50 pm »
What gets me is how little recovery has happened.  Debris cleared, and grass growing: that's really it.
Piecemeal. Some of these small towns & villages had a high proportion of old people, & very low property values before the tsunami. Earthquake damage isn't insurable against in Japan.

Some of the locals will probably be unable to rebuild, others will be unwilling to rebuild in the same place, either because it's too vulnerable, or because there's no point rebuilding a house in a town or village which no longer exists, or just because it's not worth the money & effort. Move in with relatives, or rent a flat somewhere else. In many cases, there won't be anyone alive to rebuild. 25000 dead, remember.

I've seen abandoned houses in places like that, without any tsunami. Old person dies, children & grandchildren are living in cities far away & can't afford to maintain the house & pay property taxes, or just aren't interested in it, & nobody wants to buy it. So they walk away & eventually the council takes it in lieu of taxes. When grandmother & her house both went together, there'd be no reason at all to rebuild.

There's quite a lot of visible reconstruction in the places where damage was relatively minor. There are still functioning communities there. One sequence ends with a photo in which one can see a car dealer operating, apparently from a portakabin - but with quite a few cars for sale - and another business open in the building immediately opposite, although only one side has been repaired. Another shows 15 new or repaired fishing boats in a harbour, & damaged houses & commercial buildings nearby repaired & apparently in use.

BTW, I had an e-mail from Mrs B in Ise today. The owner of the seaweed shop her grandparents used to patronise told her today that even there, there was a 2 metre tsunami, which damaged several boats in the harbour at Toba, a place we once visited together. It's a long way south of the earthquake zone, on the western side of the entrance of Ise Bay.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #406 on: 08 November, 2011, 11:20:23 am »
Quite Interesting bit of sciencery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/material

"Has nuclear fission restarted at the Fukushima NPP in Japan?"
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles