Author Topic: Proselytising  (Read 3835 times)

zzpza

Proselytising
« on: 09 February, 2009, 10:34:33 pm »
I've convinced a friend to go n+1. ;D My fixie track bike and my hack fixie (ex single speed) have tempted him off his trek mtb and onto what's going to be a bit of a hodge podge of a hybrid, made from spares and eBay bits. He wants a single speed, but I'm sure I can convince him to go fixed. :thumbsup:

It's going to be a bit of a Frankenstein's monster of a bike... light mtb frame, carbon road forks, 26" wheels, slick tyres, long drop caliper on the front, normal on the rear, SPDs, carbon seat post, campagnolo chainset, half link chain and a kore chain tensioner (hopefully not required - aiming for magic gear if possible). I haven't convinced him to get drop bars yet. :( He still wants flat bars, but he does like the look of my aero bars.

So has anyone else converted another rider to fixed / ss?  ;) 8)

Chris N

Re: Proselytising
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2009, 10:42:08 pm »
So has anyone else converted another rider to fixed

Not with a chain tensioner; I'm not a sadist.  2/3rds of the regulars in the CTC section I ride with now ride fixed though I'm not sure I had much direct influence on them.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2009, 10:59:00 pm »

So has anyone else converted another rider to fixed / ss?  ;) 8)

Ms Charlotte and Ms Liz were my spurs to going singlespeed.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2009, 09:20:10 am »
Didge first seduced me, then MV lured me in...
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2009, 09:34:03 am »
I converted myself (to SS). Does that count?

PS MV and Mr P. helped a lot by being very informative (in quite different ways ;D) about Fixed.
It is simpler than it looks.

Si

« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2009, 09:37:49 am »
I've converted someone to building fixed, unfortunatly I gave him the main bits to build it a year and a half ago and it's still in his workstand  :(.

I think that I was converted because I happened to have enough bits lying around to build a fixed so I did (any excuse for n+1).

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2009, 10:46:58 am »
No one has converted me from single speed to fixed

The freehub sticking in the snow/cold/freezingness was a plus

There are still too many minuses though

ed_o_brain

« Reply #7 on: 10 February, 2009, 10:48:08 am »
I was a self-convert to SS and fixed was nearly an accident.

I seemed to have converted Maffie - leaving my fixie in the bathroom to look at after a shower each time she toweled her self dry seemed to have an effect on her.

The simplicity of it seemed to be the main attraction.

« Reply #8 on: 10 February, 2009, 02:02:46 pm »
I try to warn people off by grinning wildly at them.

« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2009, 02:30:45 pm »
I don't try to convert anyone. If they ask I'll offer my limited advice.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #10 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:22:13 pm »
I have to remind myself when my bike needs attention not to ask OH to 'fix' it as im surew one day he will do just that!

alan

« Reply #11 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:30:01 pm »
 I blame Peliroja.
She let me have a go of her fixed.
 :thumbsup:

GillP

« Reply #12 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:40:47 pm »
I would like to go fixed, MSeries started me thinking that way when we did our illuminations ride, and that nice man Alan lent me his for a spell and I really enjoyed it. But at the mo lifestyle dictates no spend on bikes  :( (I like my lifestyle though, so I'm not compaining)   :D

« Reply #13 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:43:59 pm »
I would like to go fixed, MSeries started me thinking that way when we did our illuminations ride, and that nice man Alan lent me his for a spell and I really enjoyed it. But at the mo lifestyle dictates no spend on bikes  :( (I like my lifestyle though, so I'm not compaining)   :D

Someone will be along shortly to explain that riding fixed is a way of avoiding spending on bikes.

GillP

« Reply #14 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:45:46 pm »

Someone will be along shortly to explain that riding fixed is a way of avoiding spending on bikes.

If someone can tell me how to do it without spending that would be great  ::-)

alan

« Reply #15 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:48:58 pm »

YHPM

« Reply #16 on: 11 February, 2009, 11:15:09 am »
I would like to go fixed, MSeries started me thinking that way when we did our illuminations ride, and that nice man Alan lent me his for a spell and I really enjoyed it. But at the mo lifestyle dictates no spend on bikes  :( (I like my lifestyle though, so I'm not compaining)   :D
I didn't realise I was so influential. My first fixed was £40. I have the wheels and chainset doing nothing right now, the frame fell apart. I have offered them to Warburton, if he doesn't want them you can have them Gill. Nothing flash but will get you going.  The rear wheel needs new cones.

GillP

« Reply #17 on: 11 February, 2009, 07:23:36 pm »
That's very kind of you. I will have to be nice to TKP as I don't know what cones are, never mind being able to build a fixie  ::-)

Seems like we need to be on the lookout for a cheap frame  :)

alan

« Reply #18 on: 11 February, 2009, 09:07:19 pm »
I can contribute a set of drop bars