Author Topic: Renting a property in the provinces.  (Read 1938 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Renting a property in the provinces.
« on: 11 August, 2020, 05:54:18 pm »
My boy is having a hard time renting a house in his home town. After living in that London for 8 years where he’s got used to seeing a flat, putting a holding deposit down and then completing the Paperwork he’s somewhat bewildered by not being able.to book a viewing until next week, then being asked to fill and submit the paperwork before being told he’s not got the place.

Last week they wanted to put a holding deposit on a house the afternoon it went up for let, but the agent wouldn’t take the deposit until they’d viewed the house. He’s still living in London so they asked me to view it for them. I didn’t get to do so because the landlord agreed to someone else. The same think had happened to them the week before which is why they tried to put a holding deposit down straight away.

They’re currently staying in our house while they try and do some views themselves and it was suggested by an estate agent yesterday that he offer more than the asking rent to increase his chances.

They’re getting very despondent.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Renting a property in the provinces.
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2020, 07:09:49 pm »
Our son moved during lockdown, the Mkstaje Agent did video tours of the property. He did tour it too, but the video was useful
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2020, 09:58:09 pm »
My boy is moving flats in London next month. I was surprised when he told me that he negotiated the rent of his new place down £80 pm (didn't like to ask from what, London prices might upset me), and that that's not unusual at the moment. Is there a net migration of renters out of London?

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:22:42 pm »
Anecdotally: service industries are really fucked. And London has a lot  Especially those which have been relying on tips to provide their staff with a liveable wage.

In addition "proffesionals-without-a-desk" are also looking upon the current state and thinking about lifestyle while they continue to have a choice vs high salary vs not living in that London. Rentals outside of London (but not too far) will probably suffer as mentioned elsewhere.

But less a net migration outwards than a realistic adjustment of London's rental income expectation I think.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:59:03 pm »
Apparently this trend has been seen in eg New York and San Francisco, with rents falling there - but rising in surrounding smaller towns.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2020, 12:23:18 am »
Thus far they’ve been amazed just how much cheaper it is to rent in Suffolk compared to that London, but as they have been unable to secure a lease It’s all rather academic. I feel for them, and not only because if they don’t get sorted before his new job starts, they’ll be moving in with us! Just as we get the youngest moving out (off to Leeds to do a masters)

Considering it’s 8 years since our last child went to university, we seem to still need more than one bedroom. I wouldn’t have it any other way, but I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to live with just Dr Beardy.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2020, 01:28:17 am »
Ah estate agents shiney suited scum.

ian

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2020, 09:18:40 am »
London, to be fair, isn't much fun when there's nothing much to do.

I think London prices will still upset. I'm still upset about what I paid when I moved from Sheffield to London back in 1999. I'm taking that one to the grave.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2020, 11:36:56 am »
Ah estate agents shiney suited scum.

*Pointy-shoed* shiny suited scum, to use their full title.

« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2020, 11:47:22 am »

Thus far they’ve been amazed just how much cheaper it is to rent in Suffolk compared to that London, but as they have been unable to secure a lease It’s all rather academic.
My daughters have moved in together in BSE. They're paying almost double what Mr Smith & I are paying for a similarly sized house Ooop North.
If you tell your offspring to do a little RightMove search in South Tyneside (Durham is swayed by the Uni-factor) they'll possibly cry.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2020, 11:52:26 am »
My father has been telling anyone who will listen and especially is grandchildren that it’s stupid to pay London pieces when you can have a 16 bedroomed mansion in 42 acres for 10shillings and 6 pence a year oop north.  ;D

ian

« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2020, 12:12:50 pm »
Yes, but you'd be eating coal and lard and be in bed by 9pm every night.

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2020, 01:24:31 pm »
AND BE GRETFUL FERRIT.

ian

« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2020, 01:32:39 pm »
I keep expecting a find a street food truck selling artisan coal shavings topped with organic lard called It's Grim Oop North. Served with two thirds of a pint of cryo-hopped 'street temperature' bitter. Both yours for £18.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2020, 03:37:23 pm »
Thus far they’ve been amazed just how much cheaper it is to rent in Suffolk compared to that London, but as they have been unable to secure a lease It’s all rather academic. I feel for them, and not only because if they don’t get sorted before his new job starts, they’ll be moving in with us! Just as we get the youngest moving out (off to Leeds to do a masters)

Considering it’s 8 years since our last child went to university, we seem to still need more than one bedroom. I wouldn’t have it any other way, but I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to live with just Dr Beardy.
We could swap children.  Mine don't want to live with me any more either in uni hols
London is indeed a lot easier then the rest of the country as regards private accommodation.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #15 on: 13 August, 2020, 05:25:54 pm »

To be fair, work sent me to London for a week and everywhere is bloody shut after 9pm anyway.

City that never sleeps my arse, at least I would have coal and lard up north, instead of disappointing warm larger from a railway station marks and spencers.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

ian

« Reply #16 on: 13 August, 2020, 05:30:56 pm »
London is still very different from the provinces. It still a shock to visit Sheffield and find that the main shops still close at 5pm or, if you are lucky, 5.30pm.

But no, it's not exactly New York City, where you can be sitting in a diner with a drink and sandwich at 4 am.

« Reply #17 on: 14 August, 2020, 02:41:03 pm »
London is still very different from the provinces. It still a shock to visit Sheffield and find that the main shops still close at 5pm or, if you are lucky, 5.30pm.

I still find it remarkable walking Fargate after 6pm to find everything shut apart from McDs

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #18 on: 15 August, 2020, 09:36:07 am »
The surrealism abounds. The landlord of a tatty but presentable 1 bedroom flat has now said that he has narrowed down the potential tenants to 4 and he wants to interview them all before he makes a decision. Oh, and he’s not available until Wednesday. Unsurprisingly Master Beardy and his Young lady are desperately looking for an alternative.