Author Topic: Passing in narrow lanes  (Read 7091 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Passing in narrow lanes
« Reply #25 on: 23 December, 2016, 02:46:14 pm »
Going up a 20% I would not pull into a passing place unless I was confident the following driver(s) would have overtaken me completely before I got to the end of it. If I have to stop on a hill that steep, I'll never get started again. Of course if I've decided I'm not going to make it to the top anyway, then I might as well stop at the first opportunity where I can be passed. And I might well decide that a tractor etc has greater need than I (unless I'm also at work!) so "give up" even if I don't need to.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #26 on: 23 December, 2016, 03:13:25 pm »
IME vehicles going downhill tend to be more patient of cyclist struggling up hill than one following you...
From the motorist's perspective, I once met a cyclist coming up an 18-20% bit of a categorically-cannot-fit-bike-plus-car climb. I reversed about 80 metres or so into a gateway. I couldn't really tell whether he thanked me or not as he clearly wasn't well-positioned to release the bars and was gurning so much that any head gesture of thanks would have been lost. I've since wondered whether he would have welcomed the excuse to stop though!

Following cyclists up such things, when driving, I tend to just stop and wait 'til they get to somewhere I know they can pull over, rather than crawl along behind them.

I had a motorist do the same for me up Hollinsclough Rake, similar gradient, I was grateful but in no state to answer his questions about my gearing as I crawled past attempting not to heave up a lung.

As to stopping, that depends on the chance ot a restart

« Reply #27 on: 23 December, 2016, 05:04:49 pm »
In the summer I had a car behind me for quite a while as we negotiated a twisty lane.  Reaching a point where it could pass I waved it on but it took quite a while before the driver cottoned on and took advantage.  French driver. 

In August, same area, I had a few oncomings cutting it fine, all Brit holiday makers.  French roads are not good in August anyway but rurally it's usually ok. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #28 on: 23 December, 2016, 07:30:54 pm »
thankfully drivers seem to very tolerant of me climbing hill at 1 km a hour and i always let them past as soon as i can.  :) i do tend to under pressure though as i do not like to hold vehicles up .
the slower you go the more you see

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #29 on: 24 December, 2016, 04:42:02 am »
On a decent descentclimb, I stop for no-one.

It's a roadcraft thing, innit. If it's clear I cannot be passed safely without the other party slowing/manouvering, I move to the centre of the lane, assuming I'm not already there, which obliges the other party to at least slow if not stop (and most do...) and thank them as you pass.

Having said that, I do defer to Combine Harvesters and other oversized Tonka Toys. :)

The other question is what to do about following motorists. I look for somewhere to pull over without stopping at the earliest opportunity to let them pass. There's nothing to be gained by making motorists crawl along behind you, and your consideration is generally appreciated..

Pretty much this. If I'm going significantly slower than traffic would normally move and it can't overtake me for any reason, if I get a chance I'll pull in and let traffic pass. There may or may not be a legal obligation to do that but it seems like basic courtesy - I want other road users to show me courtesy and it doesn't hurt to offer some back. The vast majority of drivers show their appreciation of letting them go past. Sometimes even Audi drivers do it.

Some say that as the more vulnerable road user the cyclist should have priority, personally I figure if I'm the squishy bag of bones on a metal frame I'm not going to win in a fight with two tons of metal so I figure I have a greater vested interest in taking evasive action than the person in the big metal box.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 24 December, 2016, 08:03:46 am »
Some say that as the more vulnerable road user the cyclist should have priority, personally I figure if I'm the squishy bag of bones on a metal frame I'm not going to win in a fight with two tons of metal so I figure I have a greater vested interest in taking evasive action than the person in the big metal box.
That is exactly why some say the vulnerable should have priority.

(personally I don't think that's enforceable - but Presumed Liability certainly is!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles