Author Topic: Dutch answer to dooring  (Read 5461 times)

Re: Dutch answer to dooring
« Reply #25 on: 12 October, 2016, 08:00:19 pm »
That's the other thing about NL.  They don't go in for roadside parallel parking to anywhere near the extent that we do;  cars tend to be parked in bays that put doors away from the flow of traffic. 
Unfortunately they then tend to squeeze cycle lanes in that gap between the parked cars and the motor traffic.
It's the engineering solution.
No that is the engineering problem that means they have to put so much effort into training drivers to be extra vigilant.

« Reply #26 on: 25 October, 2016, 12:16:17 am »
The other point about the Dutch reach is that...

It Doesn't work!

If you own a car try it. If you reach over for the door handle what you get is a good view of the door pillar. To see approaching cyclists behind and close to the side of the car you really need to use the mirror - and that should be adjusted to give the best view from the normal driving position.

You can see this in the video (at about 1:07). First we see the driver turn and you can see him staring at the door pillar. Then we see the driver's eye view - initially a view of the door pillar plus a view straight out sideways. Then magically the cyclist comes into view at 1:08 - but only because the camera has been pushed out through the open window. Look at where the driver holds the door to shut it!

« Reply #27 on: 25 October, 2016, 02:58:42 pm »
Perhaps it mainly acts as a reminder to look forward then check the rear mirrors then look back as exit?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 25 October, 2016, 03:14:32 pm »
I'd say its mainly about making people actually look at all.

Any technique is more effective than NOT looking. I would make a small wager on any dooring incident that the perpetrator did not look at all.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 25 October, 2016, 03:35:00 pm »
50% of the doors on the average car don't have mirrors.  The dutch technique points your head in the right direction to see as soon as the door is open, and probably slows down the door-opening which gives more time for the approaching road user to take evasive action.

« Reply #30 on: 25 October, 2016, 07:00:47 pm »
Its not guaranteed but it works heaps better than just the looking in the rear view mirrors. The only challenge is making it a habit.

« Reply #31 on: 03 November, 2016, 01:23:42 am »
Its not guaranteed but it works heaps better than just the looking in the rear view mirrors. The only challenge is making it a habit.
No it doesn't - find a car and try it. From inside the car with the window closed you simply cannot see the space where doorzone cyclists are approaching from - you only get this view from the mirror. What is worse is that the maker of the video must be fully aware of this since they had to open the window (something you simply wouldn't do before leaving a car) in oredr to pretend theat the technique was in someway useful

I take the point that this could be part of an education campaign aimed at getting people to look more carefully - but the act of reaching with the oposite hand does nothing to make this automatic.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 03 November, 2016, 02:15:12 pm »
I reckon using the opposite hand makes it harder to fling the door wide open in a single movement.  Most people are more sensible than that, but these strategies aren't for the sensible ones.  Even if you don't look at all, it gives the cyclist more time to react.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #33 on: 03 November, 2016, 07:42:31 pm »
Am I the only person who, if I can't properly see with things as they are, will open the door a crack to get a better view before opening properly. And leaning over so far my face is squashed against the window for optimum view,
(of course having shorter legs I'm that much further forward when in the front seat so get a better angle.  That and not actually having a car means I may be exaggerating what I do. I don't actually remember when I last had to get out of a car on the traffic side.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #34 on: 03 November, 2016, 08:27:14 pm »
Squashing your face against the glass doesnt help seeing the place where doorzone cyclists are coming from (or doorzone pavement cyclists in the case of a passenger door) - the view is obscured by the door post. The best strategy as a passenger is to lean forwards so you can see the wing mirror from the drivers parspective.