Author Topic: Food wins from around the world  (Read 7588 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Food wins from around the world
« Reply #25 on: 21 December, 2017, 08:57:36 pm »
India: idli chutney (chutney being a sort of coconut dip, nothing like the acidic tomatoey goop called chutney here). Breakfast of the gods.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #26 on: 21 December, 2017, 08:59:57 pm »
Grilled reindeer, thank you Norway
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #27 on: 21 December, 2017, 09:14:27 pm »
France and breakfast: Croissants, Pain au chocolat, Pain au raisin... oh whatever I'll get some cheese and a Baguette too... I mean I need all those calories after spending all night fucking somebody else's wife.. You are winners.

Edit: Just keep your shops open a bit longer, ok?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

ElyDave

« Reply #28 on: 21 December, 2017, 09:34:44 pm »
France and breakfast: Croissants, Pain au chocolat, Pain au raisin... oh whatever I'll get some cheese and a Baguette too... I mean I need all those calories after spending all night fucking somebody else's wife.. You are winners.

Edit: Just keep your shops open a bit longer, ok?

That's the worst breakfast in the world for a T1D.  And after all that activity you need protein, how about a nice runny omlettes?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #29 on: 22 December, 2017, 08:52:50 am »
Cassoulet au confit de canard.
Preferably with a glass or three of one those dark reds  from the south-west.  Madiran is my current favourite now so much Cahors is made to a lighter style.

Got a tin of confit downstairs.  Lamb chops fried in the fat are superb, too (not that my bloody diet allows them :( ).

Continuing in the line of food beginning with C, it's yonks since I had a really good couscous. Even more yonks since I had one accompanied by a "good" rough Boulaouane.

One meal I used to love was an aioli: one large clove of garlic, mashed, and one egg-yolk per head, the lot stirred with a wooden spoon for half an hour with a constant drizzle of olive oil going in.  The result in a bowl in the middle of a white cloth on a large board strewn with artichokes, white fish, prawns, mussels, ham, hard-boiled eggs, carrots and anything else you fancy - lobster would be good.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #30 on: 22 December, 2017, 09:00:04 am »
If you're putting beetroot on your burger, don't forget the fried egg and slice of pineapple

« Reply #31 on: 22 December, 2017, 09:07:14 am »
Apple pie and custard.

I have heard Americans say that there is nothing more American that apple pie, overlooking the fact that the British introduced apple pie to the Americans, not forgetting that we didn't have apple pie until some explorer brought home apples from China.
Eh?

Apples originated from the 'stans, not from China - they imported it just like europe (probably about the same time and well before BC).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #32 on: 22 December, 2017, 09:50:56 am »
If you're putting beetroot on your burger, don't forget the fried egg and slice of pineapple

That's a win?

(Boggles)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #33 on: 22 December, 2017, 10:24:36 am »
Almost certainly. Far better than the odd and frankly deviant practice of putting bacon on burgers.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #34 on: 22 December, 2017, 02:12:32 pm »
Apple pie and custard.

I have heard Americans say that there is nothing more American that apple pie, overlooking the fact that the British introduced apple pie to the Americans, not forgetting that we didn't have apple pie until some explorer brought home apples from China.

The Americans have an alarming tendency to eat it with cheese though. Which is just messed up and frankly it's no wonder they have Donald Trump if they're doing stuff like that.

I think Eccentrica likes cheese with her apple pie...
No, I like, nay, insist on, cheese with my Christmas cake. My grandad used to eat cheese with his apple pie though, long before his dementia set in.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #35 on: 22 December, 2017, 03:06:01 pm »
My parents often had cheese with apples, usually something like Lancashire. Not with apple pie tho. I prefer strawberry jam on my Christmas cake. I eschew the butter my father liked with it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #36 on: 22 December, 2017, 03:10:43 pm »
Brandy butter is the only thing to eat with Christmas cake. :D

« Reply #37 on: 22 December, 2017, 03:19:01 pm »

No no wensleydale is the correct accoutrement to Christmas cake.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #38 on: 22 December, 2017, 03:36:24 pm »

That could actually work - after all, Wensleydale with fruit bits in is quite nice.

ElyDave

« Reply #39 on: 22 December, 2017, 03:37:58 pm »
wensleydale with fruit  :sick:

I prefer a nice sharp cheddar or perhaps stilton.

I regularly eat apples sliced into discs, slathered in PB, or sometimes topped with cheese, again stilton or cheddar both work.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #40 on: 22 December, 2017, 03:40:27 pm »
Almost certainly. Far better than the odd and frankly deviant practice of putting bacon on burgers.

You are a sick, sick individual and need professional help.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #41 on: 22 December, 2017, 03:57:35 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'll eat a bacon butty. I'll eat a hamburger (though I'm favouring a name change to Overpriced Meat Sandwich® given that someone tried to charge me £16.95 the other day). But why put bacon on a burger? Why not a couple of sausages in there?

Hold on, I have flung myself headlong into genius!

« Reply #42 on: 22 December, 2017, 04:23:32 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'll eat a bacon butty. I'll eat a hamburger (though I'm favouring a name change to Overpriced Meat Sandwich® given that someone tried to charge me £16.95 the other day). But why put bacon on a burger? Why not a couple of sausages in there?

Although it has been done, sausage burgers are quite hard to find. I'm willing to invest a few large into your new fast food business. We'd make a killing!  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #43 on: 22 December, 2017, 04:27:53 pm »

That could actually work - after all, Wensleydale with fruit bits in is quite nice.

It does work. The idea has been road tested by the entire population of Yorkshire for generations. People look at you funny if you don't offer them some wensleydale with a slice of Christmas cake.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #44 on: 22 December, 2017, 04:29:26 pm »

Seventeen notes for a burger? I'm guessing that (a) wasn't in Darkest Croydon and (b) was served with a Brioche bun.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #45 on: 22 December, 2017, 04:31:46 pm »

Seventeen notes for a burger? I'm guessing that (a) wasn't in Darkest Croydon and (b) was served with a Brioche bun.

Onna slate with a pail/shoe of fries  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #46 on: 22 December, 2017, 04:44:18 pm »

I lied, it was £16.50 (Hawksmoor at Seven Dials). Not that bad tbh, there is at least cheffery involved and it was rather nice and the mothership was paying and it came on a plate, it's the random pubs that serve chewy indifference in a brioche bun for £13 that get my goat.

Deffo on the sausage burger. I've never had one, but it seems like the nature evolution of burgers. I can't believe I'm not eating one. I've have one tonight if I wasn't already booked for a pre-Christmas curry.

Cheese with christmas cake. Nah. I think you're muddling up marzipan which may look like cheese, but isn't. It's nice but for different reasons. No one makes macaroni marzipan, for instance.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #47 on: 23 December, 2017, 04:39:41 pm »

Don't think I've tried that. Yet.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #48 on: 23 December, 2017, 04:41:51 pm »
Cheese with christmas cake. Nah. I think you're muddling up marzipan which may look like cheese, but isn't. It's nice but for different reasons. No one makes macaroni marzipan, for instance.
There's a challenge.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #49 on: 24 December, 2017, 08:09:09 pm »
Racuchy. How could I have forgotten them? A sort of Polish pancake, sweet but kind of fluffy, small and thick, at their best with slices of apple inside.