Author Topic: AUK Finances and Website Project was: AUK Chairman Statement  (Read 119470 times)

Re: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Reply #200 on: 29 August, 2018, 04:25:51 pm »

Site does not recognise my AUK number or email address, so nope unfortunately.

I think they just don't want your sort on the forum.  ;)

I'm sure you're right Ian  ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #201 on: 29 August, 2018, 04:43:03 pm »

You didn't tell them you are a girl?  :o
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #202 on: 29 August, 2018, 04:44:13 pm »

I'm sure you're right Ian  ;D

A shout to Caroline, the Memsec, should get you the keys to it:  membership @ audax.uk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #203 on: 29 August, 2018, 05:27:56 pm »
HK has always had the same problem. She can log onto the AUK website but not the AUK forum, regardless of laptop or mobile.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #204 on: 29 August, 2018, 05:32:43 pm »
HK has always had the same problem. She can log onto the AUK website but not the AUK forum, regardless of laptop or mobile.

Hmm.  Perhaps Jaded has something.

Phil W

« Reply #205 on: 29 August, 2018, 05:42:53 pm »

I had the same problem yesterday.  Appears logging in to the mobile version of forum site is buggered. But logging into desktop version works.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #206 on: 29 August, 2018, 05:47:08 pm »
Sorry to hear about all the issues with the forum. This week we did learn that it wasn't working for new members due to some incompatibility issue (thought to be caused by changes to settings made by the hosting company that the forum administrator Martin Foley was not aware of).

I had assumed it only affected new joiners, but perhaps it affects anyone who is using it for the first time regardless of how long they have been a member.  It is still working OK for me.

LWAB - looks like we need to ask Martin (forum@audax.uk will find him) to check for HK as that seems to be a long standing issue and so probably not related to the current problem.

Feline - mail me on membership@audax.uk and I can help you out with password and checking what e-mail address you have registered.

« Reply #207 on: 29 August, 2018, 06:05:22 pm »

I have a similar issue on the mobile site. Whenever I try to log in from the page after clicking ‘forum’ I always get the error message. But if instead I click ‘full site’ on the same page my log in details are accepted.

« Reply #208 on: 12 September, 2018, 04:55:00 pm »
I see from Arrivee that the Board has decided that it can increase Subs without member approval. Any white / black / grey smoke emerging after the 29 / 8 telecon? Nothing on either Aukweb or the Forum as far as I can see.
Eddington Number = 132

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #209 on: 12 September, 2018, 06:08:16 pm »
I see from Arrivee that the Board has decided that it can increase Subs without member approval. Any white / black / grey smoke emerging after the 29 / 8 telecon? Nothing on either Aukweb or the Forum as far as I can see.

There was some more number crunching commissioned after the telecon. Expect more info soon.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #210 on: 12 September, 2018, 06:36:59 pm »
The Chair referenced the Boards powers under the Companies Articles.

They Company Articles used to read
3.10   The Board shall have the power to make, vary and repeal the Audax United Kingdom Rules concerning subscriptions for membership provided that any such change shall not be effective until approved by the majority of the Members in a General Meeting.

10.2   For the avoidance of doubt, the Board may not amend the Audax United Kingdom Rules except with the approval of a simple majority of the Members present and entitled to vote at a General Meeting in accordance with article 8.5.2.

i.e., the Articles deferred to the AUK Rules and Regulations which in turn ceded some operational flexibility to the Board, as per the following extract from AUK Rules and Regulations.
1 Application of Regulations
1.1 The Regulations govern the administration of AUK and the system of AUK events.
1.2 The Regulations can only be changed at a general meeting of the Company.
1.3 The Appendices to the Regulations detail additional policy regarding the application of the regulations.
1.4 The Appendices to the Regulations may be changed by the board during the course of the year, subject to ratification at the next general meeting.

The Company Articles now read
12.4 the Board shall have the power to make, vary and revoke rules, regulations, mechanisms and standing orders for the better administration of AUK and the furtherance of its objects including (but without limitation):
12.4.1 technical regulations;
12.4.2 rules to combat doping in cycle sport to ensure compliance with national and international rules relating to doping control;
12.4.3 appeals procedure;
12.4.4 rules for the promotion and organisation of championships;
12.4.5 mechanisms for co-ordinating the arrangement of and the date of fixtures of cycling events organised under Audax UK rules and guidelines; and
12.4.6 mechanisms for co-ordinating commercial activities of Audax UK.

So the Board's role has changed from delivering AUK operations subject to the rules and regulations approved by the membership to having full control over AUK operations and regulations without any need to consult the membership or otherwise obtain approval for their actions.

TLDR: the Board can do what it likes without any reference to the membership, including set fees and amend/revise AUK regulations.

hillbilly

« Reply #211 on: 12 September, 2018, 07:25:42 pm »
Is that your interpretation Mr O’tea or the incontrovertible  truth? 

Like a character in a Jack Nicholson film, I can’t handle the truth.... I can’t quite believe members would have been relaxed about granting such sweeping powers to the Directors.  In my disbelief, I’m reading it as the board has the power subject to ratification (there being a provision later in that refers to the ratification of changes at AGMs).  So article 12 is simply giving someone the power to implement such decisions.  Not a lawyer though so may (indeed am likely to) be wrong..

Manotea

« Reply #212 on: 12 September, 2018, 08:05:18 pm »
Who has time to review and question large technical documents when any feedback is unlikely to have much impact?

But this is not my interpretation but the Board's; their position has already been made clear.

Welcome to Audax Cycling UK :)

« Reply #213 on: 12 September, 2018, 10:26:31 pm »
I make no claim to match Manotea’s constitutional expertise, but the Chairman’s article in Arrivee says exactly that, i.e. the Board has reviewed ‘the rules’ and concluded that it has all the authority it needs to amend and set Subs levels, hence my original post.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #214 on: 12 September, 2018, 11:00:05 pm »
Increasing membership fees might only work to a point- i.e. the point at which all the current 5 year renewals are not due. After that point all bets are off. I am certainly not going to fund this project whilst the current board attitude prevails. Totally disgusted TBH.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #215 on: 12 September, 2018, 11:20:29 pm »
the current board attitude .

By which you mean?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #216 on: 12 September, 2018, 11:30:52 pm »
I’m curious if the letter in Awoowoo was written before or after the membership provided feedback.

« Reply #217 on: 13 September, 2018, 06:41:44 am »
the current board attitude .

By which you mean?

I can’t speak for Feline and don’t pretend to - these are my opinions only - but it’s now two weeks since the emergency telecon and the Board still haven’t posted any message of any kind on either Aukweb or the AUK Forum to inform the members of the outcome - not even a brief message in lieu of official minutes. That’s not an ‘attitude’ to be celebrated.

More broadly, the supplier is still in place and is still filling its boots with our money, the Board that failed to oversee the project is still in place, that same Board has decided (unless on 29/8 it decided to the contrary, but they haven’t deigned to tell us) to throw a massive amount of good money after bad, and that same Board has declared in the pages of the club magazine that it has the right to write massive cheques at our expense without consulting us. Again, not an ‘attitude’ to be celebrated.
Eddington Number = 132

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #218 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:45:48 am »
As well as subs, there's also the matter of the proposed increase in brevet card and validation fees. Many rides are already published in the calendar for 2019 and open for entries, and will have been budgeted for based on current fees, with entry fees set accordingly.

What happens if organisers are left out of pocket by these fee increases?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #219 on: 13 September, 2018, 12:11:59 pm »
As well as subs, there's also the matter of the proposed increase in brevet card and validation fees. Many rides are already published in the calendar for 2019 and open for entries, and will have been budgeted for based on current fees, with entry fees set accordingly.

Annoying... although I suspect if the validation fee goes from 20 to 30 p it probably won't make much difference to the overall budget.
Or you can increase the price, if anyone complains, tell them the previous was an "early bird fee"

Manotea

« Reply #220 on: 13 September, 2018, 12:35:29 pm »
It's going too be interesting... AIUI according to the current schedule AUK will need to generate an "extra" £50k - £100k over the next 12-18 months to cover cashflow shortfalls and provide some contingency/reserves.

Increasing validation fees by 10p or even a quid isn't going to cover it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #221 on: 13 September, 2018, 12:52:23 pm »

Annoying... although I suspect if the validation fee goes from 20 to 30 p it probably won't make much difference to the overall budget.
Or you can increase the price, if anyone complains, tell them the previous was an "early bird fee"

The Arrivée piece mentions 20p each on both the card and validation fees. If you have 100 riders, that's an extra £40, which might not break the bank but could mean you can't afford to pay for beers for the winners.

I didn't think it was allowed to adjust entry fees after the event is published, but I might be wrong on that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #222 on: 13 September, 2018, 12:56:53 pm »

The Arrivée piece mentions 20p each on both the card and validation fees. If you have 100 riders, that's an extra £40, which might not break the bank but could mean you can't afford to pay for beers for the winners.

I didn't think it was allowed to adjust entry fees after the event is published, but I might be wrong on that.

Double that and charge them a pound more... you don't want your event full of cheapskates who question your choice of baked beans from the middle shelf!  ;D
That way you can afford beer for those who meet the "gold standard"  :thumbsup:

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #223 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:08:45 pm »

Or you could tell the truth - that the board has lifted prices to try and generate more revenue for a massively overbudget website.
Rule 77

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #224 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:10:23 pm »
I think petty adjustments would be bound to do more harm than good, by alienating people.  Membership fees are well overdue for a rise of course - they've been static for about 10 years - but Board could have anticipated that years ago, appearing to rush it through is not good.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll