Author Topic: Winter Boots  (Read 3852 times)

Winter Boots
« on: 25 September, 2020, 08:24:04 am »
Anyone have any recommendations / strong opinions about winter cycling boots?

Ever since seeing a pal using some North Wave boots for his commute in Scotland a few years ago I’ve fancied buying a pair but then never got round to it and instead stuck with my regular shoes with Sealskinz socks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Winter Boots
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2020, 11:47:25 am »
I've been very happ with my Louis Garneau winter boots for the last couple of years, though make sure you try them physically to ensure you allow for extra sockage, I think I ended up one size up from my normal. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2020, 11:52:15 am »
Get some decent neoprene overboots.  Just as effective and possibly warmer.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2020, 12:03:18 pm »
Ive got both Northwave Fahrenheit and Celsius boots for those real;ly shitty days.  However, as freeflow notes, there are good overshoes - Lusso for road shoes, Endura MTB for spd type shoes. The former are tailor-made for winter - no unnecessary vents in soles etc, at the expense of feeling "clunkier" that your usual shoes with overshoes. I think there's a place for both.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2020, 12:41:05 pm »
I've been very happ with my Louis Garneau winter boots for the last couple of years, though make sure you try them physically to ensure you allow for extra sockage, I think I ended up one size up from my normal.

I did this with my Shimano waterproof boots (which aren't winter-specific, and I occasionally use them in warmer weather for their excellent walkability), and have discovered that having the space for the extra sockage *without* filling it with extra sockage seems to result in warmer feet.

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2020, 09:23:42 pm »
I do have some Eudura MTB overshoes and they are indeed warm and quite waterproof.
Trouble is I tend to quickly destroy the bottoms. Though they are fine for rides were you spend little time off the bike I quite fancy a boot that I can walk around in without damaging my overshoes.
That said given the price of a decent pair of winter cycling boots going through a pair of overshoes every winter is probably nothing to worry over.

« Reply #6 on: 26 September, 2020, 03:41:48 am »
https://45nrth.com
Are these people exporting to the UK yet? Not cheap, but definitely warm, comfortable and well made. I bought a pair of Wölvhammers a few years back that I'm very happy with.

« Reply #7 on: 26 September, 2020, 09:50:43 am »
Sidi Frost Bite (I think) are fantastic. When it’s sun-zero or wet they are svelte enough for over boots.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 26 September, 2020, 09:53:42 am »
Are these people exporting to the UK yet? Not cheap, but definitely warm, comfortable and well made. I bought a pair of Wölvhammers a few years back that I'm very happy with.

I have the RAGNARÖK ones, which to be honest were a little disappointing compared to my Shimano boots for the price they are. Charlie The Bike Monger (who are now based in Ripon)

The also have the Wolves in too.

https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/footwear-230-c.asp
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9 on: 26 September, 2020, 10:17:57 am »
I did have a pair of Sidi Frost MTB boots a couple of years ago but found them to be a little uncomfortable/restrictive around my ankle and soon reverted to my more usual Sidi Dragon or Dominator's with some good neoprene overshoes instead.  All depends on how much walking you are likely to be doing I suppose.

« Reply #10 on: 26 September, 2020, 01:04:12 pm »
I looked for some boots last year, but there were none left in my size by the time I got around to it. So I bought some BBB Hardwear overshoes. They’ve been pretty good. I’ve also had thin, waterproof overshoes and Castelli neoprene overshoes in the past, but they all break down eventually - must be walking the hills;)

« Reply #11 on: 26 September, 2020, 01:09:12 pm »
Just to add that I’ve not tried the Lusso over boots, not least as I’m usually wearing mountain rather than road shoes when I need them, but the Termico bibs are lovely and toasty.

« Reply #12 on: 27 September, 2020, 10:22:15 pm »
Maybe a new set of over shoes is a better, or at least cheaper solution.

I already use my Endura MTB overshoes with my leather road shoes but for much of my winter riding I prefer to use my gortex mountain bike shoes which though reasonably waterproof tend to get soggy when water runs down my ankles and fills them up.

My existing overshoes won’t fit over the MTB shoes so perhaps I’ll buy a second larger set.  With the money saved I could buy myself the Showers Pass Elite 2.1 jacket I’ve been fancying.

« Reply #13 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:08:30 am »
I use Lake MXZ302 (current version is 304), selected on the basis that dubbin will keep leather waterproof, but there's nothing that can be done about a leaky goretex liner.

Whatever you get, a size or two larger than normal will allow the blood to circulate and keep the foot warm, provided you can resist the temptation to stuff the space with extra socks.
Loose is warm also applies to gloves.

For water ingress via the ankle, a high ankle is best, with your longs on the outside of the boot (no stirrups). You can also improve matters using drysuit ankle seals, or the wrist sections off a pair of marigolds as a handier alternative.

Having said that, global warming has arrived, and last winter never warranted their use. I was wearing SPD sandals all winter, and only needed socks on 3 or 4 rides.

I used to use overshoes (MTB velcro), but they mostly needed replacing every year, weren't as warm as boots, and let water in more.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #14 on: 28 September, 2020, 09:50:21 am »
I have Lake boots also, though I'm not sure of the model. They were expensive, but I really feel the cold and for me they've hugely extended the outdoor riding season.

« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2020, 09:53:48 am »
Just looked up those Lake boots, now that's a serious winter boot.

« Reply #16 on: 02 October, 2020, 11:38:56 pm »
After years of suffering from cold feet, good & bad overshoes, a couple of years ago I bought a pair of Northwave Raptor Arctic GTX. Lord, I wish I'd bought a pair of these years earlier. Warm & dry like nothing else.

That's the good news, the bad news is that they are a right sod to get on, and to a degree off. That neoprene ankle collar that works so well when on, makes the boots very difficult to 'slip' on. It's a sit on the edge of the bed, yank, tug & curse jobbie. Once one however they are really comfortable.

Bottom line for me anyway; Expensive, but worth it.

« Reply #17 on: 03 October, 2020, 09:01:37 am »
Rarely, overshoes have openable velcro straps across the sole. This means you can put the overshoe on your leg before you put shoes on your feet. Then, relatively easily, you slide the overshoe down over your foot and shoe, and do it up.

Can anyone recommend some overshoes with this feature?

« Reply #18 on: 03 October, 2020, 09:20:52 am »
After years of suffering from cold feet, good & bad overshoes, a couple of years ago I bought a pair of Northwave Raptor Arctic GTX. Lord, I wish I'd bought a pair of these years earlier. Warm & dry like nothing else.

That's the good news, the bad news is that they are a right sod to get on, and to a degree off. That neoprene ankle collar that works so well when on, makes the boots very difficult to 'slip' on. It's a sit on the edge of the bed, yank, tug & curse jobbie. Once one however they are really comfortable.

Bottom line for me anyway; Expensive, but worth it.

Ah yes, that neoprene collar! I was convinced I’d mis-ordered when I got my pair, God, it’s a struggle getting them on!

« Reply #19 on: 03 October, 2020, 09:47:16 am »
Re the northwave boots just use a shoe horn and life becomes much easier re getting them on if you don’t agree proper hard work getting them on.
I also use these (if it’s raining)with a chopped up pair of washing up gloves over the top of your socks and then down over the top of the neoprene collar, this makes them virtually completely waterproof, if not they are good for a hour or two then your socks  get wet which seeps inside the goretext boots and as it can’t escape making for sloshy fun on longer rides.

« Reply #20 on: 03 October, 2020, 09:57:34 am »
Oh I tried a shoe horn - my wife has a long one left over from her last hip replacement. It didn’t help much!  I think the problem was more with the relatively bulky woolly socks. Given the level of insulation, as Kim has said upthread, thinner socks work well in well insulated boots, so I’ve switched to using some thin merino hiking undersocks and some thin top socks with a more slippery finish. Still a struggle - but that keeps the seal intact - and quite warm.

« Reply #21 on: 03 October, 2020, 10:01:38 am »
Rarely, overshoes have openable velcro straps across the sole. This means you can put the overshoe on your leg before you put shoes on your feet. Then, relatively easily, you slide the overshoe down over your foot and shoe, and do it up.

Have a look at the Sealskinz overshoes on Wiggle (and no doubt elsewhere)

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz

« Reply #22 on: 03 October, 2020, 10:11:49 am »

Have a look at the Sealskinz overshoes on Wiggle (and no doubt elsewhere)

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz

I bought some of these a couple of years ago as a lighter weight summer alternative to my clunky MTB overshoes: https://www.merlincycles.com/bbb-bws-02b-heavyduty-shoecover-64069.html

They seem reasonably well made but I haven't worn them a great deal so can't really comment on their longevity.

« Reply #23 on: 06 October, 2020, 11:40:55 am »
Thanks both!

I'm trying the BBB ones.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24 on: 06 October, 2020, 12:42:21 pm »

Shimano H20x have openable velcro straps across the sole, but I've never tried doing what you describe. Also, mine are several years old so they might have changed the design.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.