Author Topic: Multiple waypoint alarm app on phone?  (Read 3491 times)

Multiple waypoint alarm app on phone?
« on: 20 September, 2018, 07:23:13 pm »
As I have discovered, my Etrex 30 won't alarm when approaching waypoints (and  I'm not  very good  at  regularly checking the screen) I was wondering whether this function could be duplicated on a phone ? I have had a browse, but cannot  find anything that fits my requirements.

1. upload a .csv file containing geolocations.  2. app polls through locations and alarms briefly when <30M from any location.

Sounds too simple, suggestions please?

Re: Multiple waypoint alarm app on phone?
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2018, 07:55:04 pm »
On an iPhone there are proximity alarms that you can set individually.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-location-alerts-iphone-reminders/

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:10:59 pm »
You can set up proximity waypoints for the eTrex using Basecamp.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:13:23 pm »

But it's limited to about ten proximity waypoints in total.  Enough for info controls, but not every turn.

The eTrex 30 will also light up and beep when you approach a routepoint.  Again, you'll probably need to use Basecamp.

There isn't a way to reproduce the turn warnings when navigating a Track of the HCx series.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:33:46 pm »
I've also got loadsa custom POIs with proximity alerts (I really must get rid of them  ;D). That might be something to try.

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:03:12 pm »

But it's limited to about ten proximity waypoints in total.  Enough for info controls, but not every turn.

Where did you hear that? I had over 20 proximity alarms set on WAWA 16 and they all alerted quite happily.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:11:43 pm »

Where did you hear that? I had over 20 proximity alarms set on WAWA 16 and they all alerted quite happily.

Ah, interesting.  I always thought it was 10, like the HCx.

Usual failure mode when you exceed whatever the limit is is for the older waypoits to lose their proximity alert, which is suboptimal.

« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:35:27 pm »
Thanks for the Basecamp tip .will try a local route this weekend.

« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2018, 05:25:22 pm »
I always set controls as way points on RideWithGPS, then go through and manually set them as proximity alarms on the unit. Tedious, but there aren’t usually that many controls/ infos, especially as I’ll ideally do tracks for each leg so only need to do this for infos.
I’ve never got on with BaseCamp.

Ben T

« Reply #9 on: 21 September, 2018, 08:34:35 pm »

The eTrex 30 will also light up and beep when you approach a routepoint.  Again, you'll probably need to use Basecamp.

There isn't a way to reproduce the turn warnings when navigating a Track of the HCx series.

Would it help if you had an app that took a gpx file and simply turned all waypoints into proximity alarms? I could knock something up if you like.

There is (as far as I know*) no limit on numbers of proximity alarms in the GPX standard or of any Garmin unit - so this limit of 10 must be purely a BaseCamp limit.

* correct me if I'm wrong here?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 22 September, 2018, 01:03:35 pm »
Would it help if you had an app that took a gpx file and simply turned all waypoints into proximity alarms? I could knock something up if you like.

There is (as far as I know*) no limit on numbers of proximity alarms in the GPX standard or of any Garmin unit - so this limit of 10 must be purely a BaseCamp limit.

No the limit of 10 exists on older Garmins (eg Etrex HCx) certainly.  It doesn't exist in Mapsource so I wouldn't expect it to exist in Basecamp either.
If you create 20 proximity points in Mapsource then import them into an older Etrex then the first 10 to be imported will have proximity, and the remainder will just be dumb waypoints.

Good to know that newer units don't have this limitation.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Ben T

« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2018, 09:31:03 pm »

No the limit of 10 exists on older Garmins (eg Etrex HCx) certainly.  It doesn't exist in Mapsource so I wouldn't expect it to exist in Basecamp either.
If you create 20 proximity points in Mapsource then import them into an older Etrex then the first 10 to be imported will have proximity, and the remainder will just be dumb waypoints.

Good to know that newer units don't have this limitation.

yeah but does it exist on the etrex 30 such as the OP has got (as have I)?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 23 September, 2018, 12:38:51 am »
Test it and find out? Try loading 100 proximity waypoints, and see if it works, and actually alerts for all of them. Or 1000 proximity waypoints?
The official specifications don't mention any limit for proximity waypoints.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:59:16 am »
You wanna test it?  This GPX file contains 460 waypoints all with proximity (300m).
460-waypoints-with-proximity
(you may need to right-click on the link and save as... to get a gpx file not a browser-full of xml)

I think when an E30 shuts down it may write a Waypoints GPX to memory somewhere.  If so, export this and inspect it to see how many proximity points have survived.  Or connect to Basecamp and export the waypoints from the GPS that way.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 23 September, 2018, 05:49:16 pm »
It works fine on an etrex 20, so etrex 30 will be the same.  Already proven in the field.