Author Topic: Boonen Out Of Tour!  (Read 11685 times)

Re: Boonen Out Of Tour!
« Reply #75 on: 10 May, 2009, 10:17:19 pm »
Yes, thank you for your directness  ;D
I try. :)

« Reply #76 on: 10 May, 2009, 10:34:55 pm »
IIUC Bolivian lead miners used to chew coca leaves to extract cocaine to help them cope with the sodding miserable existence they had - all that pain and suffering.  Therefore a perfect drug for TdF cyclists to help them cope with the pain and suffering. No?

I saw tin miners in Potosi doing that in 1987. I have photos.

Yes.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

rdaviesb

« Reply #77 on: 11 May, 2009, 12:21:06 am »
If he will take drugs out of competition (even for recreational use) then he will eventually be tempted to "improve his performance" through non legal means

That's pretty groundless and opinionated.  Care to back it up?

Only the stupid (or desperate) take a substance which they know will get picked up on the next dope test.

Which is he? You have to look at the motivators. The latter is actually preferable in this circumstance.

ChrisO

« Reply #78 on: 11 May, 2009, 10:19:10 am »
Just to clarify, he's not being punished by the UCI. Nor was he punished by them last year.

The exclusion is by ASO, the organisers of the Tour de France among others. And the suspension is from his team. Presumably under some disrepute clause in his contract.

And if he is habitually using and/or binge drinking then one suspects that his directeur sportif may have reservations about his performance as well. I don't imagine he's on minimum wage.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #79 on: 12 May, 2009, 09:08:19 am »
Hands up who has never got off their trumpet and done something silly?
For once I agree with you.

They're just bike riders with more natural speed than us. They're not gods, and no matter how succesful they are, how much they're paid, or how much they love their team/club/country/family they are still normal blokes, many of them wedged up and travelling constantly with work. Doesn't make them cheats, doesn't show they are "wasting their talent" * .

What do we REALLY expect? Is the average fan an idiot, or do we just like knocking down those luckier than us?

*(although some ARE guilty of this, in many non-drug-related ways)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #80 on: 12 May, 2009, 11:27:37 am »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #81 on: 12 May, 2009, 11:43:11 am »

Yes, but if I do something silly which affects my job, I'm likely to find myself without one very shortly afterwards.  So I don't do stupid things which are likely to impact upon me professionally.
Actually, it is rocket science.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #82 on: 12 May, 2009, 11:59:44 am »

Yes, but if I do something silly which affects my job, I'm likely to find myself without one very shortly afterwards.  So I don't do stupid things which are likely to impact upon me professionally.
But at what point does your leisure time affect you "professionally" ?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #83 on: 12 May, 2009, 01:35:36 pm »
Currently not so much, but in a previous job, being arrested for a drugs related offence would have got me instantly suspended, and almost certainly the sack if I'd been found (or pleaded) guilty.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #84 on: 12 May, 2009, 02:05:56 pm »
Tim,
I have no idea who employed you, but I suspect there are VERY few jobs where taking drugs (off-duty, anyway!), or even being prosecuted for druggie no-nos, ACTUALLY affects your ability to do your job.

The few jobs where this is an issue, I would bet it is all about "image". So it's what other people think, or CLAIM to think.

e.g. headteachers can easily do their jobs and snort coke on Sunday mornings. Unfortunately many parents would disagree with me, rightly or wrongly. Many parents would also object to a gay/jewish/muslim/female headteacher...

I would like to watch the BEST sportsmen compete,
NOT: the best sportsmen who also have a squeaky clean private life.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #85 on: 12 May, 2009, 02:53:09 pm »
My point wasn't that it's appropriate or not to penalise someone for using drugs in their own time, but that Boonen knows that this can be an issue, and does it anyway.  If you choose to behave in a way which is contrary to the rules outlined for your job, then you are going to get stuffed when you break them.

« Reply #86 on: 12 May, 2009, 08:13:10 pm »
Tim,
I have no idea who employed you, but I suspect there are VERY few jobs where taking drugs (off-duty, anyway!), or even being prosecuted for druggie no-nos, ACTUALLY affects your ability to do your job.

The few jobs where this is an issue, I would bet it is all about "image". So it's what other people think, or CLAIM to think.

e.g. headteachers can easily do their jobs and snort coke on Sunday mornings. Unfortunately many parents would disagree with me, rightly or wrongly. Many parents would also object to a gay/jewish/muslim/female headteacher...

I would like to watch the BEST sportsmen compete,
NOT: the best sportsmen who also have a squeaky clean private life.

I wouldn't say mine was anything to do with image, more INTEGRITY I reckon.

« Reply #87 on: 12 May, 2009, 10:56:58 pm »
Can we desist from THE words IN capitals, please.... it's a bit RETARDED

;)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #88 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:37:08 pm »
Can we desist from THE words IN capitals, please.... it's a bit RETARDED

;)

it's also shouty!!!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #89 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:53:54 pm »

More "I'm a copper, I can't be seen to do anything illegal" surely?

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #90 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:58:12 pm »

What, it is okay until I get caught you mean?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #91 on: 14 May, 2009, 12:01:45 pm »

What, it is okay until I get caught you mean?

Works for MPs... >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ChrisO

Re: Boonen Back in Tour
« Reply #92 on: 10 June, 2009, 06:39:39 pm »
ASO have said he can race in the Tour according to Cycling News.

I'm surprised his team haven't booted him out for breaking his agreements but I guess at the end of the day they just want to win races.

« Reply #93 on: 11 June, 2009, 10:26:54 am »
With all the coke he's been doin', I'm surprised he hasn't gone to Columbia...

The country, not the team.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup: