Author Topic: The S24O  (Read 25036 times)

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
Re: The S24O
« Reply #75 on: 24 June, 2008, 10:30:34 am »
Peter... Have you got a link to the actual petition?
I want to sign it but know not how to find the thing.

Just got a answer from Gordie!:
wildcamp - epetition response
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

rr

« Reply #76 on: 24 June, 2008, 12:09:34 pm »
doop & I are doing something a bit like that in a fortnight.  Leave first thing Saturday, with a map, and head off at random.  Ride until we're bored, find somewhere to sleep, head back on Sunday.

The original plan was to find a B&B rather than camp up, but since I will have newtent (hurrah!) to play with, if the weather's nice, & it looks like two people prepared to be friendly* can fit in it for a night, we might camp instead.  Won't be bivvying-level lightweight, mind. 

So yes!  I am up for adventures.  But likely to be lightweight-tent rather than bivvy (do not have bivvy bag & don't want to buy one atm).  It'll be good practice for Australia, though :) 

* doop only had a single bed for the first six months we were going out, so we are used to this :)

There's a lot more headroom in a single bed than in a JetPacker Plus.
Having another occupant would be a challenge. I hope you are able to breathe and can organise where you'd have specs if you wear them...

Sorry late to this thread; There is plenty of room for two in a Jet Packer plus, when I was a poor unemployed ex-student I used to hitch to Cornwall for easter to go climbing, I shared mine with my friend Kit. I was 6' and 90kg, Kit 6'2 and 110kg and although we had to take it in turns to move there was enough space to avoid too much unmanly contact.

bobajobrob

« Reply #77 on: 24 June, 2008, 12:39:10 pm »
I love cycle camping, but I usually take a tent. I have no problem lugging full cycle camping loads, but am looking for an opportunity to try out some lightweight camping with my goretex bivvy sack :thumbsup:

« Reply #78 on: 24 June, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »
I love cycle camping, but I usually take a tent. I have no problem lugging full cycle camping loads, but am looking for an opportunity to try out some lightweight camping with my goretex bivvy sack :thumbsup:
I'd recommend taking a small tarp as well as the bivvy sack.
If it's raining properly, by the time you've unpacked the bivvy, taken your sleeping bag out of the pannier and put it in the bivvy sack, taken off your soggy raingear and got yourself in the sleeping bag, the sleeping bag is going to be pretty damp - not good if it's down.
As you may be able to guess, BTDTGTTS  ;D (evening thunderstom on a day that started out nice).

On the plus side, wild bivvy spots are much easier to find than wild tent pitches.

bikenerd

« Reply #79 on: 24 June, 2008, 03:05:23 pm »
I have a small tarp (Kathmandu Trekking basha) and groundsheet for sale if anyone is interested?
It measures 2.8 x 1.8m.  The groundsheet is big enough to fit a full size thermarest on it.  Both are new, having been pitched in the garden but nowhere else.
Send me a PM if anyone is interested.

bobajobrob

« Reply #80 on: 24 June, 2008, 03:07:55 pm »
I may be interested in the tarp. Question about tarps - do you get ones that are supported by poles? I suppose that otherwise a plastic sheet over your face would suffice ;D

bobajobrob

« Reply #81 on: 24 June, 2008, 03:17:39 pm »
On the plus side, wild bivvy spots are much easier to find than wild tent pitches.

Why am I imagining sleeping in a ditch and waking up with a badger in my bivvy bag? ;D

« Reply #82 on: 25 June, 2008, 07:53:59 pm »
Never had a badger, but I did wake up one morning to find a very large bull grazing 10 yards off after I'd just hopped over the wall the night before.

The idea of the tarp is to give enough shelter to the head end of the bivvy bag that you can get into it in the rain, and so you don't have to close the zip.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #83 on: 25 June, 2008, 11:33:05 pm »
Does anyone else find that the average sleeping bag just won't zip up around their shoulders? It's not just that I'm a fat bastard - I'm just too wide.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #84 on: 25 June, 2008, 11:34:39 pm »
Does anyone else find that the average sleeping bag just won't zip up around their shoulders? It's not just that I'm a fat bastard - I'm just too wide.

Try mine if you like?  I hate being wrapped up in a sleeping bag and always end up crawling out and sleeping on the top, hate to be suffocated like that.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #85 on: 26 June, 2008, 12:15:16 am »
I got worried by sheep once :)

What's all this about wild camping being illegal?  Pff.  Just use low-viz gear and be discrete, tidy and sensible.  O:-)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

bobajobrob

« Reply #86 on: 26 June, 2008, 08:30:50 am »

Some of the snugpak bags have an expansion system to make them a bit roomier.

« Reply #87 on: 26 June, 2008, 08:52:59 am »

Not sure if it was Snugpak, but I recently saw what was in effect a strip of sleeping bag with each gender of zip on it, so it expands the bit where the zip would be.  Of course, you then end up with two zips to roll over onto and find uncomfortable !
Actually, it is rocket science.

bobajobrob

« Reply #88 on: 26 June, 2008, 12:06:57 pm »
My softie has an elasticated baffle with extra zip. It runs right the way down and gives you about 9" of extra bag at the top.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #89 on: 26 June, 2008, 02:38:08 pm »

Not sure if it was Snugpak, but I recently saw what was in effect a strip of sleeping bag with each gender of zip on it, so it expands the bit where the zip would be.  Of course, you then end up with two zips to roll over onto and find uncomfortable !

Tis snugpak and we have one. It is known as the python's sleeping bag cos you can connect the two sides together.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #90 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:21:36 am »
Sorry late to this thread; There is plenty of room for two in a Jet Packer plus, when I was a poor unemployed ex-student I used to hitch to Cornwall for easter to go climbing, I shared mine with my friend Kit. I was 6' and 90kg, Kit 6'2 and 110kg and although we had to take it in turns to move there was enough space to avoid too much unmanly contact.

Blimey.  Doop & I found that it was definitely a bit of a squeeze.  I wouldn't want to be sleeping in it for more than a night with someone else, & if we go cycle camping again we'll take one of the bigger tents & live with the extra weight.

However, I was out Monday & yesterday on my own, & it is positively palatial for one.  Except for when you want to turn from having your feet out front to having your feet down back :)

« Reply #91 on: 09 July, 2008, 03:24:55 pm »
Incidentally, since we're talking about tarps again. I found a set of spoles and bungy on the Decathlon site for £15. Enough to make a decent length hoop.
I'd reckon that a bit of kite ripstop, plus some kite flying line (a very cheap way of buying the overpriced Spectra that the ultra-light backpacking companies flog off in short lengths) and an evening with a sewing machine could run you off a pretty repsectable shelter a bit like this:
BackpackGearTest.org Review - /reviews/Shelters/Tarps and Bivys/Tarptent Cloudburst/Steve Nelson/Long Term Report

« Reply #92 on: 31 March, 2009, 11:39:07 am »
Now it's coming round to an appropriate season, I thought I'd revive this thread.
I tried an experimental S240 a couple of weekends ago.

Packed, everything in a Camper Longflap, except what I was wearing.

Pitched

Kit List:
Tent: Hilleberg Akto  (might use a Laser Comp if I get serious about reducing weight)
Sleeping bag: PHD Minim 300 & silk liner (in an eVent compression sack)
Mat: Thermarest Prolite 3 3/4 length.
Off-the-bike clothing: lightweight trousers, warm thermal top, undies, Rab Generator jacket (lighter/warmer/smaller-packing than fleece)
Brew kit: small (100g) gas cylinder plus clip-on feet, Optimus Crux fold-up stove, Optimus Terra Solo pan, fold-up spoon (a set similar to this), lighter, tub of powdered milk, 5 tea bags, 1 helping of muesli, fold-up mug and bowl (Orikaso). The evening meal was down at the pub. I didn't use the powdered milk, having stuffed a pint bought en-route into the spare bottle cage.
miscellaneous: mp3, paperback, toothbrush
2 tubes, normal touring toolkit (LH side pocket)
Waterproof jacket (RH side pocket) & hat

(Photos previously posted in gallery "Akto in the snow")

Chris S

« Reply #93 on: 31 March, 2009, 11:43:19 am »
 :o

How the bloody hell did you get all that stuff in that not-very-big bag?

Well Done  :thumbsup:.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: 31 March, 2009, 11:49:47 am »
The tent is small and the saddle bag voluminous, I'd say.

Nice overnight action there Andrew  :thumbsup:

The season is very definitely upon us and I'm itching to get my Terra Nova Laser out and about.  My kit is quite similar to yours, I'd imagine - I've also got a Prolite 3/4 and I picked up a fabby Snowpeak stove in the sales.

So when shall we schedule the first YACF S240 of the year, then?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #95 on: 31 March, 2009, 01:55:15 pm »
Oh oh, I've got a Laser which I need to try out.  I've only put it up in the spare bedroom, which doesn't really allow me to hammer the tent pegs in, so wasn't much of a test.

If you've got one, you can show me how to erect it! (mandatory "ooer missus").

I need to christen my Arkel panniers as well (although I guess I should only need the one).

I'm up for a wander somewhere, a la "Zombocalypse".  The weather shouldn't be too bad from this point onwards.

« Reply #96 on: 31 March, 2009, 02:09:03 pm »
I'd be up for some S240 action. My Yuba is dying for some loaded mini touring action.

I was trying to think that with almost unlimited luggage space, what I would take that I wouldn't normally take when hiking/camping, and all I could think of (with the exception of weaponry) was a washing up bowl.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #97 on: 31 March, 2009, 02:37:24 pm »
I'd be up for some S240 action. My Yuba is dying for some loaded mini touring action.

I was trying to think that with almost unlimited luggage space, what I would take that I wouldn't normally take when hiking/camping, and all I could think of (with the exception of weaponry) was a washing up bowl.

You mean we can take weaponry?  :D

TimO - it's Liz who's the tent-putting-up expert.  On holiday last year, we had a deal; I did the cooking and she did the tent.  That way only one of us had to do without our eyebrows...

This thread is making me want a Camper Longflap saddlebag, dammit!
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #98 on: 31 March, 2009, 03:16:47 pm »
Oh oh, I've got a Laser which I need to try out.  I've only put it up in the spare bedroom, which doesn't really allow me to hammer the tent pegs in, so wasn't much of a test.

We have a conveniently sized garden nearby yours with a teapot on standby.  Butterfly is an expert when it comes to tent erections.

Um... :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #99 on: 31 March, 2009, 03:33:54 pm »

I've got a suitable S24O lightweight one!

You can carry the barbecue. :thumbsup: