Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281013 times)

My formative years were spent in the hot places like where I was born. It took me years to get used to UK winters :o

Met Office storm warning for campsites and caravans

Look out, campers..

I've spent some time in sub-Saharan Africa, which wasn't so bad, but Athens (Georgia) was probably the worse, every building had fridge-grade a/c so the moment you walked outside, you'd sweat like an iceberg in a sauna, then you'd walk into the next building and freeze. Rinse and repeat. At least the Africans sensibly just settled down to being hot.

I don’t understand how anyone can live south of a line drawn between the mouth of Cheeseypeas Bay and El Paso.  And not just because of the fundies.

Heat and humidity, with the added bonus of hurricanes if you're on the coast and tornadoes inland.

What's not to like?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I did see a live raccoon in Mobile AL, and, er, nope.  That's it.

Edit: Rain! Rain in leafy Surrey! Perhaps I shall sleep the sleep of the righteous tonight O:-)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I thought it was time to put the duvet back on the bed, but I might have been mistaken.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Spotted a mysterious ~6kW load for about 40 minutes around 3am on the electricity consumption graph the other day.  We were both asleep at the time.  Logically, the only things that could dissipate that much power were the Pissy Landlord Electric Shower™, the cooker, or the combined efforts of fan heaters that definitely weren't plugged in.  Since there was no corresponding spike on the temperature or humidity graphs, and it seemed unlikely that the neighbours had tapped into our supply to grow cannabis and/or bitcoins, I decided it was probably software gremlins, perhaps integer roll-over related, and waited for it to happen again so I could determine the pattern (or corroborate against the cephalopod's version of events).  Which it duly did the next day.

Turns out that the lump of blu-tac holding the photodiode up against the blinkenlight on the electricity meter had gone floppy in the heat.

This makes me feel like a pound shop Michael Crichton character.

Riding the Brompton home from Lewisham shopping centre through a biblical thunder storm is pretty funky.
I arrived home dry.
Rapha rain jacket and Berghaus Goretex (non-cycling) legs.

Miraculous, I’d call it.
Move Faster and Bake Things

I see on the news that Beverley Brook is in a bit of a state.  I hope that Peter Grant chap is OK.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

Walking yesterday, dodged some heavy rain in a church, everything looked good. But god doesn't like heathens who abuse his hospitality. Hence the thunderstorm that parked over our heads for the walk home.

Sub-fucking-aqua.

Then towards the end, as the rain eased up, we encountered (presumably, I didn't do a DNA test) a family* coming the other way on the footpath. 'It's really deep.' They weren't kidding. No matter how wet you are, there's the moment when the water level reaches your crotch and you know all is lost. I'm not sure that pair of hiking boots will ever dry.

*one of the teenage girls was incongruously in a little black dress and fishnet tights and clutching her shoes. Going fishing, she claimed. A bit odd, the other two were in wellies, for whatever that was worth.

MrsC and I were supposed to be going on a trip to visit an island tomorrow (North Rona, has lots of historical significance here, and no, we weren't going to catch any guga).

Bloody weather. It is forecast to be a bit blowy and the swell will be too great to disembark at the island. Trip cancelled.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
MrsC and I were supposed to be going on a trip to visit an island tomorrow (North Rona, has lots of historical significance here, and no, we weren't going to catch any guga).

Bloody weather. It is forecast to be a bit blowy and the swell will be too great to disembark at the island. Trip cancelled.

That's a long way from anywhere. How were you getting there?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

nicknack

• Hornblower
Today's tornado (almost) in North Kent.  ::-)

There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
It being the first of the month, my brother has gone all OCD with his rainfall records. Curiously, he doesn't seem at all interested in other bits of weather.

July 113.6 mm. Aug 2020 to July 2021 943.8 mm

Given that he lives in mid-Essex, which is meant to be pretty much the driest county in the UK, with a long-term average of about 500 to 550mm a year, that's an extraordinary figure.

He lives about 15 miles from me. My July figure was 46.2mm and the total since 1st August 2020 was 781.2mm. A marked difference over such a short distance, but still well above the long-term average for Southend, which I think would be unrivalled in its long-term claim to be the driest large town in the UK.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
How come they got a full day's play in at Trent Bridge yesterday but here in Cheshire it peed down every few minutes?

And I've been out with Jack the Lab this morning in full boots and suits and still got wet.  Saw no-one except an old bloke with a beard who said he'd got a boat. Name was Noah, apparently.

WTF is going on?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
As long as it improves in couple of weeks.  It had better as we have four nights booked in Anglesey.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

And I've been out with Jack the Lab this morning in full boots and suits and still got wet.  Saw no-one except an old bloke with a beard who said he'd got a boat. Name was Noah, apparently.

That'll explain some of the DIY supplies shortages - Noah had grabbed all of the timber by being willing to pay the equivalent of three ha'appence a foot this time.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....

That'll explain some of the DIY supplies shortages - Noah had grabbed all of the timber by being willing to pay the equivalent of three ha'appence a foot this time.
That's inflation for you, up from a penny a foot.........

Beardy

• Shedist
One of the biggest advantages of the internet is that it gives access to a large number of weather forecasting services. If you don’t like the forecast for a given day on the first weather forecasting website you visit, then keep looking until you find a forecast you prefer. It’s almost guaranteed the one forecaster out there will have something you like.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
One of the biggest advantages of the internet is that it gives access to a large number of weather forecasting services. If you don’t like the forecast for a given day on the first weather forecasting website you visit, then keep looking until you find a forecast you prefer. It’s almost guaranteed the one forecaster out there will have something you like.  ;D

Aye. Try hard enough and you can always find a reason not to go for a ride.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

They keep postponing the UK heatwave. Most of Europe basking in 47C and us barely into the 20s.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
They keep postponing the UK heatwave. Most of Europe basking in 47C and us barely into the 20s.

Yes. Grumble.  I told Mrs B and the kids that we were going to have great weather for this week's mini break in Anglesey.
Dull and dank.  :(

Good weather delayed due to low pressure fronts on the track.

Obviously this is my fault.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Which of you gits asked for rain?   >:(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I expect it was our resident hot-weather-phobe.  Take a bow, Nutty ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
They keep postponing the UK heatwave. Most of Europe basting in 47C and us barely into the 20s.

FTFY.

Only we're not.  We went from 31°C at the weekend to 20° today, and it dropped below 10° last night. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
20°? Bloody lucky. It’s reached the grand figure of 15° here in East Angular. My heating is on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

It's okay, barakta's having major hip/leg surgery on the second week of September.  Heat waves are traditional weather for being confined to bed with limited mobility...