Author Topic: Germany bike paths.  (Read 1296 times)

Germany bike paths.
« on: 12 December, 2021, 01:13:31 pm »
More specifically the D4 Mittelland route.
https://www.bikemap.net/en/o/545127/#4.98/50.86/10.45

Has anyone got personal feedback on this bike path?

thx.
often lost.

Notfromrugby

Re: Germany bike paths.
« Reply #1 on: 12 December, 2021, 04:27:19 pm »
not specifically, but I have fond memories of some bike paths around Koblenz and Rothenburg... real roads segregated from the main road... sometimes you don't even get to see the main road at all. They are generally excellent, a far cry from the much celebrated Belgian ones, which are often shit!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2021, 05:23:25 pm »
not specifically, but I have fond memories of some bike paths around Koblenz and Rothenburg... real roads segregated from the main road... sometimes you don't even get to see the main road at all. They are generally excellent, a far cry from the much celebrated Belgian ones, which are often shit!

+1 on that.  In 2007 a chum & I did a 300 out of Rheims that took a loop through Belgium. On one stretch the "cycle path" ran alongside a heavily travelled road, and was made up of concrete slabs about 50 cm wide with vegetation encroaching for either side and the occasional sack of grit or road-works warning sign blocking it. The road itself had ruts you could have hidden a tank in.

German ones are often great, but they often end with a right-angle on a pavement in town. As they do here.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 12 December, 2021, 06:08:51 pm »
This is not a bike path, but a (long-distance) bicycle route. In my experience, those consist of a mix of quiet roads (usually tarmac that has seen better days), some gravel bits, old railway lines converted to bike path (best case scenario) and occasionally busier roads with a decent bike path running alongside the road. No personal experience, but the bicycle routes I've done in Germany were enjoyable (especially the North Sea one from the Dutch border to the Danish border, although the bit through the Netherlands is far superior).

« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2021, 01:18:43 pm »
This is not a bike path, but a (long-distance) bicycle route. In my experience, those consist of a mix of quiet roads (usually tarmac that has seen better days), some gravel bits, old railway lines converted to bike path (best case scenario) and occasionally busier roads with a decent bike path running alongside the road. No personal experience, but the bicycle routes I've done in Germany were enjoyable (especially the North Sea one from the Dutch border to the Danish border, although the bit through the Netherlands is far superior).

Thanks. I'm looking at it as a routing option for part of the ride from CP1 to CP2 on TCR this Summer rather than navigating the Industrial Rhur Valley further North. I'd be happy to take a degree of time penalty for the head space a quieter route gives. I can't seem to drill into how slow the D4 is though.   If I don't find any real detail it may be a case of load it onto the device and reroute on the fly if it gets too bogged down.
often lost.