Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 524645 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4875 on: 15 January, 2022, 11:55:15 pm »
I expect you're welcome to go and stand there now anyway?

« Reply #4876 on: 19 January, 2022, 03:25:34 pm »
If I'm not careful, I'm going to end up riding LEL.

I can't make ACME goes Dutch and the ACME Grand looks difficult to fit in any sleep at all - never mind a useful amount.

Maybe what's required is what Bobb calls a bikepacking micro adventure.

I have signed up for the Snow Roads on the 11th June which could also be tied into some back country riding on the Cairngorms' endless trails.

The other options are KAW, an East Anglian coastal circuit, Pedders and Icknield, one way trip to somewhere involving lots of old railways.  Happy to camp, hotel or a mix of the two.

Time is running out before I have to commit to LEL...
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4877 on: 19 January, 2022, 03:57:30 pm »
It may sound silly, but LEL is a pretty relaxed ride, because the average speed is lower than a 1000km Audax.
If you're lucky with control beds you can sleep 4 or 5 hours a night and still finish within the time limit. Similarly, if the controls haven't run out of food, it's quick and easy to fuel up. With rest and food quickly available and few distractions, like interesting scenery, for example, you'll be making best use of your time pedalling, so it's all pretty straightforward.

You should ride it at least once, and at your time of life........

« Reply #4878 on: 19 January, 2022, 03:59:14 pm »
I think even I could sleep a couple of hours on LEL, it was the ACME Grand that had me worried.

You haven't helped in my quest to find an excuse not to ride LEL.  Maybe I need a new bike  :thumbsup:

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4879 on: 19 January, 2022, 04:06:33 pm »
👍

Make sure you acquire the latest and lightest bike with all the newest tech to make sure you're not outgunned by all the Indian, Thai and Fillipino guys. Then you'll be fine.

felstedrider

« Reply #4880 on: 19 January, 2022, 04:11:56 pm »
I think even I could sleep a couple of hours on LEL, it was the ACME Grand that had me worried.

I reckon you can get a couple of hotel stops in on the Grand.   You just need to manage your time efficiently during the day.

« Reply #4881 on: 19 January, 2022, 04:40:04 pm »

You haven't helped in my quest to find an excuse not to ride LEL.  Maybe I need a new bike  :thumbsup:

Maybe Carlos could be your LEL riding companion

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4882 on: 19 January, 2022, 04:44:27 pm »

Un/fortunately, I'm not even an Audax UK member anymore, so I can't meet the entry criteria, oh well!

« Reply #4883 on: 19 January, 2022, 05:09:05 pm »

Un/fortunately, I'm not even an Audax UK member anymore, so I can't meet the entry criteria, oh well!

I am sure there is some sort of separate geriatric ballot. Everyone loves hearing about old boys that can still do it.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4884 on: 19 January, 2022, 05:12:35 pm »

I am sure there is some sort of separate geriatric ballot. Everyone loves hearing about old boys that can still do it.

Yep, just passing on a lifetime of experience and knowledge to you young snapper whippers.

« Reply #4885 on: 19 January, 2022, 05:17:35 pm »

Enter the ballot. Danial has said everyone in ballot will get in. Lucky you raised your keenness to enter and the challenge you face with it. It’s not too late!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4886 on: 19 January, 2022, 05:25:27 pm »

Enter the ballot. Danial has said everyone in ballot will get in. Lucky you raised your keenness to enter and the challenge you face with it. It’s not too late!

Thanks Phil😭

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4887 on: 19 January, 2022, 05:27:07 pm »
Un/fortunately, I'm not even an Audax UK member anymore...

What?!?  :o  Even I'm an AUK member and I recently completed an audax  O:-)

« Reply #4888 on: 19 January, 2022, 05:44:47 pm »

What you didn’t divert to a pub garden and spend the audax just drinking beer?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4889 on: 19 January, 2022, 05:59:32 pm »

Nope, I have paperwork to prove I did the ride.  And I'm dry at the moment so no beer passed my lips  O:-)

« Reply #4890 on: 19 January, 2022, 06:29:45 pm »

Nope, I have paperwork to prove I did the ride.  And I'm dry at the moment so no beer passed my lips  O:-)

Have aliens abducted the real Oscar’s Dad and replaced him with a doppelgänger?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4891 on: 19 January, 2022, 06:41:35 pm »
Kind of, its the new me!

« Reply #4892 on: 19 January, 2022, 06:46:16 pm »

I'm up for a bikepacking adventure. But more mega than micro!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #4893 on: 19 January, 2022, 07:13:35 pm »

I'm up for a bikepacking adventure. But more mega than micro!

Bikepacking.com have a new "weekly series through which we’re excited to show off backyard rides, campouts, and more from our readers around the globe". Only requires a few sentences and photos. I reckon with a bit of prior planning, the antithesis of the usual submissions could be enacted by members of this parish.

https://bikepacking.com/news/weekend-snapshot-2/

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

felstedrider

« Reply #4894 on: 19 January, 2022, 08:39:33 pm »

He wasn’t very happy about it, though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4895 on: 19 January, 2022, 08:50:21 pm »
It wasn't the most fun I've had, but the fitness will return along with the fun.

« Reply #4896 on: 20 January, 2022, 10:09:20 am »
Just Keep the Ferrero Rocher Circulating

Last night's mini tour of Maldon was an ideal opportunity for our diplomatic corps to shine.  It gets to the point where you can only sit back and wonder at how they manage it.

I arrived (only slightly late) to find the Famous Witham Peloton (Huggy, Hustler and Doc Brown) in their ready formation outside the Carpenter's Arms.  Apparently it was quiz night and as the FWP was shorn of its largest brain with Oaky's continuing MIA status, they had concluded a quiz was no place for them.  Luckily the Blue Boar is a short hop and it gave Gandalf the snotty and I a chance to watch the FWP form into their brief journey triple line formation and speed across the cobbled park to the bike security zone.  We were soon joined by Tomsk.

Things did not improve much in the BB.  After the early disappointment of the Brewer's Gold finishing with only one sample poured, we had a momentary uplift with a finely kept Bishop Nick 1555.  The arrival of Crouch Vale's Amarillo, normally a reliable treat, was to spark our first diplomatic incident of the evening.  Our Head Brewer is forthright in his views on sub-standard ales and had no shame in declaring to the barmaid that it was "alright if you enjoy drinking vinegar".  The rest of us just kept quiet, held our noses and finished our samples.  Worse was to come when the barmaid decided she had had enough and closed the pub at 9.30.  The locals at the table next to us were not amused and decided to follow our Head Brewer out of the pub to continue the debate about his harsh review.  Of course, Huggy was having none of it.  He made it clear to his new friends that people drinking draft Guinness had no business opining on how anything should taste and headed off for home.

Luckily, I was able to tempt Lord Hugginsworth to reconsider with the promise of a digestif at 'Spoons.  He really is mad for a pastis.

By the time the two of us arrived there, Tomsk had already secured our usual table.  On our Epi ride it had taken the Second Battle of Maldon (* see historical note below) but, Tomsk's hardman reputation now firmly established, all it took this time was a stare and a shooing gesture to secure our barside vantage point.  Here was a chance for Doc Brown to polish his ambassadorial credentials. It will be some time before the girls at the next table forget his arrival.  No sooner had he sat down than he was back up again to slightly cock his leg and unleash an emission that you could taste never mind smell.  Still, it cleared the bar area for us, allowing us to order more quickly. 

We sampled Ringwood's Forty Niner and Hook Norton's Old Hooky and still had enough change to catch Arthur Askey at the playhouse, buy a bag of chips and pay for the tram fare home (according to our older members at least).

An inquorate Quaffers' Choice Committee would probably have picked Forty Niner but our senses were still recovering from Doc's dramatic entrance so it is hard to be certain.

I had some questions to put to our technical sub-committee.  Unusually, it was not Doc that had control of the flipchart but our very own Igaro Wizard, Harry Snotter.   His detailed drawings of how to piggyback the connectors and the visit to his bike for a practical demonstration even made sense.  The hour's detailed discussion between Harry, Huggy and Doc immediately afterwards just left the rest of us looking baffled and trying to work out whether granularity was something we needed to worry about.

At least there is no early closing at 'Spoons so we made the most of the warmth while putting off the journey home in the cold for as long as possible.

As ever, the return journey was far better than feared and not just because of the beer coat.  A clear sky with a full moon made for a beautifully lit traverse of the gritted lanes and as soon as the wind was on your back it did not feel anything like the below zero temperature showing on the Garmin.

That's at least one more venue to add to Huggy's boycott list. 

* I recall there is not so much as an abandonded horned helmet or axe head to show the First Battle of Maldon ever happened despite the imposing statue of Brithnoth as you enter the harbour.  The same cannot be said of the Second Battle of Maldon where there is video evidence of Tomsk's terrible rampage and where archaeologists will still be picking up fragments of stella glasses and bookies' pens in the next millenium.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4897 on: 20 January, 2022, 11:23:26 am »
So let me get this straight...

huggy upsets the Blue Boar barmaid and some fellow drinkers and goes home in a huff and BFC lets go a fart in 'spoons which is worse than what hit Tonga the other day? 

« Reply #4898 on: 20 January, 2022, 11:30:53 am »
Almost, Huggy didn't go home as soon as the promise of a digestif was made.  I now realise that digestif is just a posh name for a shot.

Thinking back, I suspect the barmaid at the BB didn't actually call closing time as there were people in the other bar as well and the locals next to us had just ordered full pints when we left. It is highly likely she just wanted rid of us before continuing as usual.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4899 on: 20 January, 2022, 12:01:08 pm »
Almost, Huggy didn't go home as soon as the promise of a digestif was made.  I now realise that digestif is just a posh name for a shot.

Thinking back, I suspect the barmaid at the BB didn't actually call closing time as there were people in the other bar as well and the locals next to us had just ordered full pints when we left. It is highly likely she just wanted rid of us before continuing as usual.

I think there must be something about the Blue Boar. 

Years ago, on the first outing of the Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny, which was being worn by me, we dropped in on the BB and I came dangerously close to being beaten up by a bloke wearing a rugby shirt.  He didn't like the fact that a knob wearing a reindeer suit was talking to his girl friend and her friend.  We ended parting as friends, and huggy might want to pay attention here, I used my natural charm to defuse the situation, hence parting on the best of terms.