Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 511691 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The problem I find with unhomogenised milk in plastic containers is that the cream sticks to the sides and is difficult to extract. Shaking it doesn't seem to help much.

I don't think I've ever had that but polythene and fat are not easily separated.

Our milk was in a Traditional Glass Bottle and residual fat washed easily in hot water.

ian

Unhomogenized cream in milk takes me back to the horror of school milk.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Unhomogenized cream in milk takes me back to the horror of school milk.

I liked school milk but we've been there before.

ian

No one liked school milk. It was an agency of terror.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My sister (17 months younger than me) HATED it; I didn't. We've always been different...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I refused school milk.

Cream in my espresso is suitably decadent, but drinking milk  :sick:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's what Ian Rush drinks...

Milk so cold it doesn't taste of milk is fine, but then I'd have water.  I don't think I've ever had a glass of milk to drink "straight". I used to have the "top of the milk" on cornflakes as a kid. Hated school milk because it was always warm.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
32° outside, 26 inside, pleasant breeze from the fans, dogs lying on the floor as if they'd been poured there, and a kilo of excellent greengages on the table. ;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I always think that the name "Reine Claude" makes them taste betterer

hellymedic

• Just do it!
David is gathering figs and blackberries.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
When carrots & potatoes are in boiling water, they take 15 - 20 minutes and they are soft - possibly too soft.

Why do they take so much longer when they are in a boiling curry sauce?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sauce is viscous and can't transfer heat like a mobile liquid.
Veg can't absorb latent heat from steam landing on its surface either.
Anyway, microwave your hard veg: quick, clean, easy...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Makes sense. The root veg in the curry were al dente... but none the worse for that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

nicknack

• Hornblower
David is gathering figs and blackberries.
i did that today too.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I always think that the name "Reine Claude" makes them taste betterer

Me too, but UK forum & all that.  As it happens, I didn't know that Reines Claude were greengages until the missus's folks moved here.

"Greengage" begs to be followed by "jelly". Dunno if it's still the case, but when I was a nipper almost all homegrown fruits ended up that way.  We had raspberries, gooseberries, and black & red currants and rhubarb, and they all met with me mum's preserving pan, apart from the ones we snaffled in the garden.  If she could have made jam from broccoli we'd probably have had dark-green jars of stinking puke on the breakfast table.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/legendary-liverpool-restaurant-uncle-sams-16735579

Blimey! That’s probably the first place I ever ate pizza. We used to go to their place in Renshaw St after a night on the beer.  I seem to remember a stuffed Polar Bear as part of the decor.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Greengages take me back.  At school lunches, greengages were served stewed in large steel basins to each table with a jug of custard.  I loved greengages, nobody else did.  I think my personal record for lunch was over 100 stones.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Must have had an interesting effect on the bowels. Probably not during school hours, though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Bloody Stupid Johnson's daughters have rather edible names: Lara Lettice and Cassia Peaches...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
greengages from the market here, figs and raspberries starting to come out of the garden
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Bloody Stupid Johnson's daughters have rather edible names: Lara Lettice and Cassia Peaches...

Why would Boris name his daughter after a laxative?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

Why would Boris name his daughter after a laxative?

Because she takes after her father in being full of ["We get the idea" – Ed.].
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Cassia is cinnamon innit? Never thought of that as a poo sweet...

Cassia is cinnamon innit?
Not quite. They are different plants, but very similar in chemical composition. Some pharmacopeias consider them to be 'the same' (e.g. the US one, but my data is ~30 years old). I think I can tell the difference, but to be honest I may be kidding myself.
If you buy cinnamon from Sharwoods it is actually cassia (is says so in very small print no the front).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."