Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 259831 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1125 on: 11 September, 2015, 06:17:13 pm »
Glenn Maxwell catch. Unbelievable!
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1126 on: 11 September, 2015, 08:07:33 pm »
Up on YouTube now. 
I'm not a rules Meister, but, after he landed off the pitch, shouldn't he have grounded his feet on the pitch before being allowed a legal catch?
Bit pissed, but what I'm trying to say is he made the catch coming from an out of bounds area. Shouldn't he have come from an in bounds area?

Shit.  Someone will know what I'm trying to say.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1127 on: 11 September, 2015, 08:38:18 pm »
Accepting the umpire's decision, I think Maxwell made two extraordinary catches.  He also took a wicket and scored a lot of runs, which included some amazing nd entertaining shots.  I think he might be extremely fed-up not to be man of the match; he would definitely have been mine, well as Morgan played.

« Reply #1128 on: 11 September, 2015, 09:58:13 pm »
Reading the appropriate laws of cricket .

It appears that as he was in bounds when he first made contact with the ball and was in bounds when he finally caught the ball the only requirement is that in between he was not in contact with the ground and the ball at the same time. see the video embedded in the above link.

You would be correct if the fielder was outside the boundary signing autographs when the cry of catch it went up and caught the ball as he came back over the ropes.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1129 on: 11 September, 2015, 10:27:32 pm »
No not happy with  that. (As a layman)
His first contact with the ball is when he leaps from an on field position.  It doesn't matter if he or the ball have broken the plane of the boundary rope, neither he nor the ball have touched the ground and are therefore still in play.
At what point does he become out of play?  It is when he makes contact with the ground beyond the boundary rope.
So at what point should he be deemed to be in play?  This is the important bit.  Surely the same criteria?  He needs to have made contact infield?
My point is that he interfered with the ball from an illegal position as he had not yet returned to the field.

Still, a great catch!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1130 on: 12 September, 2015, 02:59:45 am »

« Reply #1131 on: 12 September, 2015, 03:34:55 pm »
I was at the match yesterday and we thought Maxwell should probably be man of the match, although Morgan played a great and controlled innings. Both Maxwell's catches were superb, the second being described by one present as 'the best catch ever seen'.

Great game to watch too.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1133 on: 12 September, 2015, 07:31:04 pm »
For Basil:
http://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/9987761/glenn-maxwell-says-super-catch-against-england-should-not-count

!

Hehe.

That's a Skysport link and it is blocked by default on this BT router I happen to be on at the moment.  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #1134 on: 16 October, 2015, 01:35:29 pm »
England v Pakistan in the middle-east somewhere.  Must be a pudding pitch but some excellent scores on both sides.

« Reply #1135 on: 16 October, 2015, 03:58:15 pm »
England v Pakistan in the middle-east somewhere.  Must be a pudding pitch but some excellent scores on both sides.

I think they are playing on the 8 lane highway through Abu Dhabi. The pitch is flat and smooth meaning dull cricket and an almost guaranteed draw. Suits Captain Cook though  ;)
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1136 on: 16 October, 2015, 08:09:52 pm »
More runs than spectators.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1137 on: 17 October, 2015, 09:02:06 am »
Who would want to watch such a game? (let alone travel there from Pak or Eng)

Apparently the ICC are looking at fines for using such a lifeless pitch. I expect Cook will stay out of that discussion :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1138 on: 17 October, 2015, 10:08:51 am »
I don't know the circumstances, really but whom would they fine?  I think the game is being played there because it's deemed unsafe to play in Pakistan.  So who is responsible for preparing the pitch?  ICC can hardly fine Abu Dhabi, or they are likely to end up being bought out!

« Reply #1139 on: 17 October, 2015, 10:36:06 am »
I would think as Pakistan are the 'home' team they would be entitled to have input into the preparation of the pitch. In much the same way in England the local grounds keeper prepares the pitch but the international team can ask for it to be prepared in a particular way to suit the conditions.

It's possible Pakistan saw our awful batting in Australia and had the heavy rollers out to flatten the pitch- only drawback is the Pakistan bowlers don't quite have the pace of the Aussies

Tms seem to think the pitches at Sharjah and Dubai have a bit more life

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1140 on: 17 October, 2015, 10:46:26 am »
I don't know the circumstances, really but whom would they fine?  I think the game is being played there because it's deemed unsafe to play in Pakistan.  So who is responsible for preparing the pitch?  ICC can hardly fine Abu Dhabi, or they are likely to end up being bought out!
A Fine. A Bribe. Same end result!

(apparently it's only 9,500quid anyway)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1141 on: 17 October, 2015, 01:45:42 pm »
99 to win in 50 minutes  :o

« Reply #1142 on: 18 October, 2015, 02:23:45 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/34562700  Not a great end - tend to agree with Vaughan...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1143 on: 05 November, 2015, 07:45:10 am »
Oops.

« Reply #1144 on: 05 November, 2015, 08:13:43 am »
I imagine Cook must find this all desperately frustrating.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1145 on: 05 November, 2015, 04:16:20 pm »
I find this desperately frustrating

« Reply #1146 on: 28 December, 2015, 04:55:40 pm »
Good start to the Test Match in SA
Garry Broad

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #1147 on: 30 December, 2015, 09:49:43 am »
Well played England.  Great team performance.  Outplayed  us in all departments.

« Reply #1148 on: 30 December, 2015, 10:19:57 am »
Well played England.  Great team performance.  Outplayed  us in all departments.

After the Australians, there was a lot of talk in the summer about how England might fair against South Africa [No1 in the world], so if nothing else it sets the series up nicely. Terrific performance.
Garry Broad

« Reply #1149 on: 30 December, 2015, 02:24:04 pm »

Except in opening.