Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 259696 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The cricket...guag
« Reply #1825 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:22:21 pm »
Can someone explain the tie breaker.
it’s like limited over cricket, but for one over only. Only one bowler to deliver all 6 balls and the batting side has three batsmen, so loss of second wicket finishes your go. Best it in typical cricketing language, the team that bats second bats first. 😁
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1826 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:24:13 pm »
If NZ get 16 they win. 15 and it is down to how many boundaries there were. Less than that and England win.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1827 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:24:48 pm »
Omnes:Get on wif it!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1828 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:30:00 pm »
\o/

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1829 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:31:15 pm »
Wow!

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #1830 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:31:46 pm »
Bugger! It's difficult enough explaining cricket to the French under normal circumstances.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1831 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:53:48 pm »
Bugger. I missed all of that. I thought England had lost, so I switched off.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

simonp

« Reply #1832 on: 14 July, 2019, 08:03:33 pm »

What a silly mistake. I don’t do cricket but that was an incredible listen.

« Reply #1833 on: 14 July, 2019, 09:03:13 pm »
That was a bit exciting at the end.    ;D
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1834 on: 14 July, 2019, 09:16:46 pm »
I'm not a fan of one day cricket but blimey!
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1835 on: 14 July, 2019, 09:26:46 pm »
Glad I watched now! I never thought New Zealand would lose until that six, and then the overthrows...

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #1836 on: 14 July, 2019, 09:53:09 pm »
The only proper way to settle it, after the match was tied on the first innings, would have been to play the second innings under Timeless Test conditions.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #1837 on: 14 July, 2019, 10:23:20 pm »
The only proper way to settle it, after the match was tied on the first innings, would have been to play the second innings under Timeless Test conditions.

Nah... Rock, Paper, Scissors, best of five.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1838 on: 14 July, 2019, 10:38:41 pm »

Or "Pick the winner of tomorrow's Tour stage" ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1839 on: 15 July, 2019, 11:34:47 am »

I didn't realise it was on the normal telly until my son got home and asked why I wasn't watching it - fortunately, that was just in time to see the last two balls of England's last regulation over...

I think that means I saw the highlights. Yay!

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1840 on: 15 July, 2019, 12:27:05 pm »

What a silly mistake. I don’t do cricket but that was an incredible listen.

Yes. I wasn't up with the rules there.  In the event of a tie in some limited over competitions, the team which has lost fewer wickets is declared the winner. I had erroneously assumed that this was a universal rule.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1841 on: 15 July, 2019, 01:10:34 pm »

Or "Pick the winner of tomorrow's Tour stage" ;D
Or play a tennis tiebreaker (with Djokovic and Federer having to play a one-over single wicket competition when it got to 12-all in the fifth set).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1842 on: 15 July, 2019, 05:54:51 pm »
Back to the relatively sane world of the County Championship...

Somerset are in trouble against Yorkshire, and Essex ought to beat Warks. I don't know enough about the current scoring system to know whether that will send Essex top or not.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1843 on: 15 July, 2019, 07:21:40 pm »
The plot rule thickens...

Apparently the ball was thrown before the two batsmen had crossed in the middle so it should have been 1 not 2 runs, or summat... 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27194046/umpires-made-error-judgement-overthrows-simon-taufel
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1844 on: 15 July, 2019, 08:12:57 pm »
Sure, that's the literal way of reading Law 19.8 but the umpires have been quoted as saying "The overthrow was caused by a non deliberate act by the batsman, not the throw from the fielder, and at that time the batsman had crossed."

So they've decided to move the point at which Law 19.8 applies from the fielders throw to the time the ball hit the batsman. Reading Law 19.8 I don't think it had been written to cover this scenario.

The ICC said they would not be drawn into the issue. "The umpires take decisions on the field with their interpretation of the rules and we don't comment on any decisions as a matter of policy," a spokesperson said."

Who knows what would have happened if it had only been counted as 5 not 6. Maybe Rashid (who would have been on strike instead of Stokes) would have french cut the next ball for 4 and England would have won outright. Who knows.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1845 on: 15 July, 2019, 11:26:33 pm »
Indeed, my reading of this is that the rule is not written for non-deliberate action by the batsman. The fielder didn’t throw the overthrow, it was caused by the interaction with the bat. So you can read it that the act that caused the overthrow occurred after the crossover.

Anyway, in the absence of clarity from the rules, the on-field umpires made a decision.

It wasn’t the last action of the match so both sides still had the opportunity to win the match. They then had this opportunity again in the Super Over.

Having said all that, it was an extraordinary end to a match and an even more extraordinary and wonderful attitude from the Black Caps to the defeat. I’d like to think we’d would have behaved in the same graceful way.

One might hope that Australian Umpires could learn from this, considering they come from a land where an underarm bowled ball was considered acceptable as the last ball of an innings in a one day match... or sandpaper in a pocket is a legitimate Test Cricket skill.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1846 on: 15 July, 2019, 11:49:40 pm »
It is known that the rules/laws of a game/sport cannot anticipate every possible eventuality. That is why people pass examinations in order to show that they are capable of applying those laws and, where curiosities occur outwith those laws, can make reasoned judgements in the face of that. It seems to me that that was what happened yesterday.

I think it's a bit unfair to denigrate all of Australian cricket because of what Trevor Chappell was instructed to do by his captain in 1981. It's worth noting that the doyen of cricket commentators made his views very clear about that incident in his commentary and summing up, and he too was an Australian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHScrCxF6Y

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1847 on: 16 July, 2019, 12:07:02 am »
It is known that the rules/laws of a game/sport cannot anticipate every possible eventuality. That is why people pass examinations in order to show that they are capable of applying those laws and, where curiosities occur outwith those laws, can make reasoned judgements in the face of that. It seems to me that that was what happened yesterday.

I think it's a bit unfair to denigrate all of Australian cricket because of what Trevor Chappell was instructed to do by his captain in 1981. It's worth noting that the doyen of cricket commentators made his views very clear about that incident in his commentary and summing up, and he too was an Australian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHScrCxF6Y

Not sure where this was said. Besides, you missed the sandpaper reference.

Under the rules at the time and the Umpires' rulings of the day, England & Wales won, and from what I can see their opponents of the day, the Black Caps, have gracefully accepted that.

Edited to add in Wales.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1848 on: 16 July, 2019, 04:22:01 pm »
Essex win, Somerset lose. Essex go top!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1849 on: 24 July, 2019, 12:25:49 pm »
I understand Ireland are playing cricket at Lords today. It looks like they are the only side there.