Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 259787 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1975 on: 25 August, 2019, 05:17:47 pm »
Really?  In 1981 it required two escapes, First Bothams century then getting them out cheaply. That said I was sixteen and spent the whole summer watching it waiting for my o'level results so there is a certain amount of nostalgia involved I admit  ;D
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #1976 on: 25 August, 2019, 05:26:05 pm »
It's the biggest match-winning score for England when they have batted last, but on the all-time list, it's actually only the 10th-ranked winning score, and 42nd in terms of runs scored, regardless of result.  :P

Source: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/222199.html

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1977 on: 25 August, 2019, 05:34:50 pm »
Really?  In 1981 it required two escapes, First Bothams century then getting them out cheaply. That said I was sixteen and spent the whole summer watching it waiting for my o'level results so there is a certain amount of nostalgia involved I admit  ;D

I think for cliff-edge stuff, yes. England needed a 10th wicket partnership of 76 to win. One player scored just 1 of those. Any delivery could have won the test for Aus. That's a very long tight-rope.

With the Headingley tests, was it not Aus collapses in the final innings that eventually sealed their fate? That's a different kind of tension.

Stokes finished with 135 not out from 219 balls, with 11 fours and nine sixes. At one stage he was three not out from 73 balls. He played with such intelligence, patience and flexibility. And then, when it was needed, he went nuclear.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1978 on: 25 August, 2019, 05:38:03 pm »
In Botham’s Ashes most people forget Willis.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1979 on: 25 August, 2019, 05:40:44 pm »
I've just seen that reverse sweep off Lyon and the ramp shot off Cummins  :facepalm: ;D

And the moral of the DRS system is: never waste your reviews in desperation because....further down the line...!!!
I think the umpire probably wanted to leave the ground still being able to breath when he was confronted with that appeal at the end.
Garry Broad

« Reply #1980 on: 25 August, 2019, 05:47:55 pm »
In Botham’s Ashes most people forget Willis.

Yes, interestingly enough I remember Willis more than Botham when I think about that game....and somebody even more inexcusably forgotten is Graham Dilley - he was also key in the match in forming the partnership with Botham.
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1981 on: 25 August, 2019, 06:22:28 pm »
Indeed. I think that "team effort" was what I was trying to say about 1981. Botham and Willis were the stars. In this match, no-one else really mattered apart from Stokes. That's to take nothing away from Leach. It wasn't just the batting. It was also the farming of the strike. And the fact that for the first 70 deliveries of his innings he was simply content to occupy the crease. It must be utterly devastating for the Aussie attack that not one of them was able to bowl a ball to take his wicket in the time it took him to score all those runs.

I think it was a lost cause Ashes test in the 1960s in which I first recall an English batsman cutting loose as he ran out of partners. It was Basil d'Oliveira.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1982 on: 25 August, 2019, 07:18:18 pm »
It's the biggest match-winning score for England when they have batted last, but on the all-time list, it's actually only the 10th-ranked winning score, and 42nd in terms of runs scored, regardless of result.  :P

Source: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/222199.html

And did I hear the TMS statto right?:

The first 10th wicket Ashes win ?!?

(also, 76 is not the highest winning partnership with a "1" for one player - there have two others in the 70s. Blimey!)

EDIT: I don't have the memory for this stuff. This from the BBC site:
The final wicket stand of 76 is the third highest in the history of first class cricket.

That is England's fourth one-wicket win in a Test match, the last time was 1923 in Cape Town.

Ben Stokes also broke the record for the most sixes in an Ashes innings with eight, beating Kevin Pietersen's seven at The Oval in 2005.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1983 on: 25 August, 2019, 07:55:59 pm »
Just watched the highlights.   ;D ;D

"best unbeaten single in test history" by Leach.   :thumbsup:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1984 on: 25 August, 2019, 08:20:11 pm »
I think I could watch the last innings stand again and again. Watched it twice so far.

« Reply #1985 on: 25 August, 2019, 08:27:20 pm »
I hugged a few strangers this afternoon.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1986 on: 25 August, 2019, 08:36:55 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #1987 on: 25 August, 2019, 08:44:16 pm »

With or without beer?

You won't forget that in a hurry.
Nor will the people who you hugged either  :)

What pot luck to buy a ticket for today of all days.
Gratitude is most definitely in order  :thumbsup:
Garry Broad

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1988 on: 25 August, 2019, 08:45:03 pm »
Missed all the excitement due to a family event. Checked my phone to find out we’d won. Unbelievable!

« Reply #1989 on: 25 August, 2019, 09:16:01 pm »
That reverse sweep six by Stokes was impressive...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1990 on: 25 August, 2019, 11:13:31 pm »
I've just seen that reverse sweep off Lyon and the ramp shot off Cummins  :facepalm: ;D

Yeah - that was amazing.

And Leach's first run tie-ing the match  ;D

... between Stokes hitting a 6 and a 4.

Amazing camera shot of the final Stokes shot - the ball has barely left his bat; his arms are in the air, the stand behind are all leaping, and one beer is flying skywards.

I think this is our generation's Ashes moment (gawd bless Beefy, but sorry! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1991 on: 25 August, 2019, 11:24:09 pm »
It is better than Beefy.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #1992 on: 26 August, 2019, 07:41:46 am »
Doubtless the day will be recounted long into the future by many as an "I was there" claim ....... akin to the claims of "being there" when Botham & Willis performed .... if everyone that said they were there in 1981 really had been then Headingly would have had a crowd capacity of about 150,000!!

As it happens I was there - well I was in Leeds that day . . . . delivering and building some machinery in a print shop - the whole of the central area of the city was like a ghost town with shops closed and people huddled around the windows of TV rental shops.

Rob

« Reply #1993 on: 26 August, 2019, 08:19:48 am »

With or without beer?

You won't forget that in a hurry.
Nor will the people who you hugged either  :)

What pot luck to buy a ticket for today of all days.
Gratitude is most definitely in order  :thumbsup:

With.

My friend couldn't get the four tickets he wanted together for day 3 so bought them for day 4. He was driving up Saturday from London with the other two friends, but on Friday was feeling so guilty about getting tickets for the wrong day and denying us decent cricket, he phoned and managed to obtain 3 tickets for Saturday. So the other 3 were pleased enough with that without knowing what was in store.

I had a delay getting to the ground, and then there was some confusion about where I was meeting my friend to get my ticket, so that we were only just taking our seats as the first ball was being bowled.

What surprised me was the level of hope in the crowd from the start. Maybe it was because of the encouraging way it had finished the day before, maybe the sunshine, maybe Yorkshire people are generally optimistic (!), but not only every single was roared but every dot ball, from the start and even after the stuttering fall of wickets. And then extra volume added for the midfields, the 6s, the bad reviews. 

It was all glorious, it was all magical, it was all unreal, it was all perfect.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1994 on: 26 August, 2019, 08:25:08 am »
It is better than Beefy.
David Gower has just confirmed this.

(Should we note that Beefy did it all without a helmet? Probably not ... )

I believe Radio5 Extra have got the final hour on a continuous loop today  ;D

And in case you missed it:
"The Ashes is a Test cricket series played between Sir Ben Stokes and Australia."

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Ashes&oldid=912438976
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1995 on: 26 August, 2019, 05:30:04 pm »
Some good pics of Stokes' innings if you scroll down a bit on this page... https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/ashes/ben-stokes-england-australia-ashes-2019-third-test-headingley-result-timeline-highlights-a9078521.html

Also, was quite impressed with aussie captain Tim Paine, post match...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1996 on: 26 August, 2019, 06:34:33 pm »
In the 41st picture in that series, many people in the crowd are holding their shoes above their heads. What's that all about then?

« Reply #1997 on: 26 August, 2019, 06:40:58 pm »
There was a chant along the lines of "If you love Ben Stokes take your shoes off".
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1998 on: 26 August, 2019, 07:49:05 pm »
‘Shoes off, if you love Ben Stokes, shoes off, if you love Ben Stokes, shoes off, if you love Ben Stokes, shoes off, if you love Ben Stokes’ and repeat, ad nauseum, to the tune of Go West by the Pet Shop Boys while holding aloft a shoe. Despite a degree of inebriation I seem to have been able to commit the lyrics to memory.

« Reply #1999 on: 26 August, 2019, 07:50:23 pm »
Like most of what was going on, there was no apparent reason or logic to it.