Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 259842 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #2825 on: 28 June, 2023, 11:09:40 am »
That is sensational stuff - thank you!  I felt slightly sorry for the Croatian wicket-keeper, who seemed pretty good in the face of almost impossible "bowling".  He's even perfected the insouciant hand-on-thrust-hip exasperated stance of the true wicket-keeper/horse.  It's a shame to think that, thanks to television coverage, all this will disappear within a few years as average ex-pros are brought in from Test countries to "improve" things.

Brilliant!

« Reply #2826 on: 28 June, 2023, 11:43:42 am »
Glenn McG is probably not wrong to say that 'if Aus win at Lords an Ashes victory not likely for Eng'...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2827 on: 28 June, 2023, 01:42:50 pm »
That is sensational stuff - thank you!  I felt slightly sorry for the Croatian wicket-keeper, who seemed pretty good in the face of almost impossible "bowling".  He's even perfected the insouciant hand-on-thrust-hip exasperated stance of the true wicket-keeper/horse.  It's a shame to think that, thanks to television coverage, all this will disappear within a few years as average ex-pros are brought in from Test countries to "improve" things.

Brilliant!

I think it's more likely to disappear when the sponsor pulls the plug. It must cost a pretty penny, what with player kit, travelling and accommodation expenses, TV coverage etc. The main sponsor seems to be HCLSoftware. There's no indication of their origin on their website, but wikipedia says the HCL stands for Hindustan Computers Limited, and HQ is un Uttar Pradesh. I wonder if any players are employees. They have sponsorships in F1, ocean racing and Premier League, but in the event of them pulling sponsorship of European Cricket I doubt if INEOS  and the Qataris will be fighting over it. I suspect there's someone high up in the company who just really likes cricket, and it's more philanthropic than commercial.

On the subject of computer companies, cricket and Indians, my nephew (who when he worked for the LTA got Wimbledon tickets for me and mattc) worked for a time for the MCC at HQ. Something to do with introducing IT developments*. Anyway, one afternoon there was a meeting with the CEO of Microsoft. This was long after Gates and Balmer - the CEO was Satya Nadella whose wikipedia entry says "He also nurses a passion for cricket, having played on his school team". Anyway, after the meeting he said that his lifelong dream had been to play cricket at Lords, so to grant his wish, some stumps were set up next to the square, and my nephew changed into his full kit including pads and helmet and faced an over or so of dibbly-dobblers from the distinguished executive.

Which is how my nephew came to play cricket at Lords.

* getting MCC to innovate was even harder than it sounds. Just about every proposal was shot down by a senior manager, who had even managed to resist email. Any emails sent to his account would be printed off and delivered to him by one of his PAs. Then he would dictate replies.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2828 on: 28 June, 2023, 01:52:00 pm »
Lovely story!

« Reply #2829 on: 28 June, 2023, 04:11:30 pm »
Less lovely at the test.  England and their management are seriously thick. Once again the Extras column is giving Australia an extra batsman for nothing. It's pathetic and yet none of the commentators seem to notice, or none that I've seen.

« Reply #2830 on: 29 June, 2023, 07:22:44 am »
<may have said this before> England need some early quick wickets...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2831 on: 29 June, 2023, 08:00:26 am »
Usually I like to hold judgement until both teams have batted, but it is somewhat damp on the way into London today and suspect conditions will not be in England 's favour for batting 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2832 on: 29 June, 2023, 12:40:05 pm »
From 316-3 to 416 all out. Some would say that 100-7 is a collapse and rather careless. Now the English openers will have an awkward 20 minutes to face before lunch.

« Reply #2833 on: 29 June, 2023, 01:04:23 pm »
Think that counts as a a good seesion by England.  You'd hope that the openers at least would be able to not get out before lunch.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2834 on: 29 June, 2023, 03:22:25 pm »
Carey has 4 stumpings so far in this series, that feels like a throwback to the Golden Age rather than Bazball.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2835 on: 29 June, 2023, 04:30:39 pm »
Latest update from the Guardian commentary:
"...Gloriously done, and a top edge off a no ball – they run two – means that in the five overs since tea, England have added 32. They’re in control of this innings now, and I can’t wait to discover how they manage to toss it."

;D

They'd be less than 200 behind by now if it weren't for all the extras they gave Australia.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #2836 on: 29 June, 2023, 04:32:51 pm »
Duckett is living a charmed life.

« Reply #2837 on: 29 June, 2023, 04:45:05 pm »
Tufnell.

"I agree with Bazball, but you've got to have a brain as well."  :-)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2838 on: 29 June, 2023, 04:51:08 pm »
Root dodging a bullet.   :facepalm:

citoyen

« Reply #2839 on: 29 June, 2023, 04:54:42 pm »
Lord Cardigan: I know, but at least it was entertaining, amirite?

« Reply #2840 on: 29 June, 2023, 05:08:07 pm »
Live and learn... 100

citoyen

« Reply #2841 on: 29 June, 2023, 05:09:58 pm »
 :facepalm:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2842 on: 29 June, 2023, 05:12:06 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2843 on: 29 June, 2023, 05:18:20 pm »
Avoided the follow-on!
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

« Reply #2844 on: 29 June, 2023, 05:29:20 pm »
Avoided the follow-on!

Expect the declaration any time now then.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2845 on: 29 June, 2023, 06:05:55 pm »
Tufnell.

I thought he’d lent his to an Aussie spectator who was building an idiot ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2846 on: 30 June, 2023, 11:15:40 am »
oh well, predictable I suppose.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2847 on: 30 June, 2023, 11:52:57 am »
Tufnell.

I thought he’d lent his to an Aussie spectator who was building an idiot ???

I thought that was one of the Aus players* in a Memorable Sledging Incident. See also Eddo Brandes.

*Edit: allegedly Ian Healy. Tuffers claims it took him a while to get the joke.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2848 on: 30 June, 2023, 12:53:24 pm »
I've always seen the Tuffers one as having been from a spectator, when he'd been placed in a fielding position far out on the boundary to minimise the possibility of him and the ball being in close proximity.

The Eddo Brandes one was definitely aimed at Glenn McGrath though.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2849 on: 30 June, 2023, 01:32:13 pm »
"England had twice successfully chased a target against Australia at this ground. 137/3 in 1890 and 111/4 in 1896," notes Dave

Comment from Cricinfo.  I suppose not helped by the fact that England only beat Australia at Lords once in the 20th century, so it's not a big sample to pick from.  The good news is that in both successful chases we had more than half our wickets left.