Author Topic: L'Eroica  (Read 3277 times)

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
L'Eroica
« on: 29 May, 2013, 07:38:54 am »
Just seen a video of a recent edition. It looks like a fantastic event, retro bikes and kit, plus unnecessary facial hair!
Has anyone taken part in a recent edition? I was after any information about the enrolment process; it looks like its getting very popular and there's a lottery to decide entrants. I was thinking about doing the 2014 edition.

Thanks, Lord H.
"Mister Zoot Horn Rollo, hit that long lunar note,
and let it float. " - Don Van Vliet, R.I.P.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: L'Eroica
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2013, 07:58:34 am »
I rode in 2011 - entry was first come first served with a limit on foreign entries. We hit the enter button with a group entry at 10 past midnight when entry opened.

Now i believe it's a lottery and names drawn from a hat. Entry still opens around Feb/March time. Check the event website

Well worth the effort of getting there. It was one of my most wonderful cycling experiences

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acf_windy/collections/72157627789631755/

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2013, 08:26:02 am »
I was thinking about doing the 2014 edition.

Me too. I have a 1960s 5 speed Dawes just waiting to show off its Campy finery.

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2013, 08:42:45 am »
Yes, I am currently searching for a pre 1987 steed for L'Eroica. I have my eye on a couple of bikes on e-bay. Anyone any knowledge of the Carlton Corsair? I like the idea of riding a bike made in Worksop around Tuscany. The factory was pretty local to me in Sheffield as well.
I think I might be getting a bit too excited too soon, it's not until October 2014!

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2013, 11:11:26 pm »
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2013, 12:32:33 am »
As a matter of interest, are there any other mass-participation sporting events that take place in black and white when men were men etc? Football matches in baggy shorts and a heavy ball, golf tournaments with plus-fours and Mashie Niblicks? That sort of thing.

Just teasing. The Eroica has always appealed as it's a civilised step away from the general willy-waving, ten-bob bikes, two-bob legs type Sportive/Fondos.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2013, 09:01:04 pm »
Woo Hoo! Thanks to e-bay I am now the proud owner of a 1958 W.P. Newton racing bicycle and can start to grow my facial hair in anticipation of L'Eroica 2014.
All I have to do now is get an entry...

Lord H.

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2013, 02:11:28 pm »
I've just had a looksee at the site (to check dates etc for next year) and it appears that as I am either a man over 60 or a woman (which category is left as an exercise for the reader) there are still places for this year.

« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2014, 01:12:04 pm »
I went down this year as part of a trip to Tuscany and watched the event. It was fantastic!

Its in Italy (!) so I think the organisation is not as good as Erioca Brittania because they have 5,500 riders and what seems like a similar number riding without an entry- but being handed a bottle of chianti as you finish sets the tone nicely

My favourites ?- the rider in full 1950s police uniform with cape and helmet on a 50lb police bike- and the several I saw using wooden rims and cork brake blocks

I am 60 in 3 weeks so will use the "old codgers" card to ride next year

« Reply #9 on: 20 January, 2015, 12:35:37 pm »
Bookings now open.
£60 to ride (inc 1 festival pass)
£10 additional festival passes
£15 parking
All for three days (but only 1ride)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.