Author Topic: Great Manchester Cycle 2015  (Read 1854 times)

Great Manchester Cycle 2015
« on: 30 May, 2015, 05:53:49 pm »
Rearing my head yet again having had some time off both bike and the forums. Now cycle commuting out of not-quite-but-almost-necessity* and having ridden more in the four months since starting the job than probably in the 12 months prior… I've signed up for the GMC again and decided to see how much I can beat last year's stats by**. Any other YACFers taking part? I'm doing the 52 mile ride.

* workplace is not feasibly walkable from a train station, and relying on traffic being good/Northern Rail being on time is not good for stress levels - not to mention that cycling takes less time than when getting the train most of the way…
** probably not very much - I did surprisingly well last year given that I was largely on my own and didn't train at all - but it's worth a try!

Re: Great Manchester Cycle 2015
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2015, 08:50:29 pm »
I'm gutted a missed it. It makes a nice change to be able to ride closed roads. That madness that is Manchester to Blackpool tomorrow will probably not be as much fun.

How was the event?

« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2015, 11:05:11 pm »
It was excellent, although somewhat frustrating in that they changed from previous years where they didn't include time spent in the feed area/maintenance tent in your ride time, without telling anyone bar those at the very front of the start line… so Strava reckons it took me 3h4m, but their official time for me is well over 45 mins extra due to a series of mechanical problems …

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2015, 10:17:15 am »
Have only just noticed this thread.  Sorry!

Yes, I did the 52 mile route as well and loved the fast, flat and closed roads which enabled me to complete the course in an 'official' 3h-01m.

A bit gutted not to have gone under 3-hours, and had I not stopped for some water at the feed stop, I probably would have, so will probably have another go next year.

Was riding my white Pinarello Dogma.

« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2015, 10:23:51 am »
Fancy a riding buddy for 2016 Jethro? Looks like we'll be aiming for about the same speed.

« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2015, 01:06:16 pm »
OK

A two-up Time Trial possibly?

« Reply #6 on: 12 July, 2015, 01:32:22 pm »
Without the racing, too many people not racing for me to want to risk that ;) not to mention they did explicitly tell us not to do that… I'll take the challenge though!