Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 09:49:43 am »
Probably that, because of the hole, they couldn't get the 6-carriage trains from the end of the line where they are to the end where you are.
« Last post by fimm on Today at 09:37:59 am »
Dear Scotrail, I appreciate that having a Large Hole under the track is beyond your control, and I appreciate the temporary timetable is better than no trains. However, if you are running 2 trains an hour where you normally run 4, why on earth are you running 3 carriage trains instead of the usual 6 carriage trains??

I presume that the hole has necessitated some sort of weight limit?
No, it has necessitated the closure of (part of) the line...
https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/airdrie-bathgate-line-to-remain-closed-at-caldercruix-as-engineers-repair-sinkhole-damage
They are running services at the two ends (Glasgow and Edinburgh) of the line, with the closure in the middle. Some of the trains have been 6 carriages, to be fair, but there have also been 3 carriage ones, for no apparent reason. At rush hour.
Health & Fitness / Re: Cross Training: Running
« Last post by tom_e on Today at 09:33:48 am »
That is why Kipchoge manages a couple of marathons per year and kilian jornet races every week.  The difference in impact from tarmac or pavement is massive.

Do you think it is mostly the difference in impact?  I wondered if it might be more in the variability - that on a smooth hard surface you are repeating exactly the same movement every time, and wearing exactly the same points of cartilage, muscle or tendon over exactly the same range every time.  Whereas on a varied surface those movements will be irregular and so perhaps not hit the same concentration in one place over the run. 

I'm thinking that the over-regular movement might cause problems more akin to RSI than simple over-use, but I don't know if that's a valid comparison.

Personally I just greatly prefer the nature of trail running, and if I could run 50% faster and 50% further on tarmac I still wouldn't choose to do it.  But some people care about those things more.
« Last post by Regulator on Today at 09:33:03 am »
Dear Scotrail, I appreciate that having a Large Hole under the track is beyond your control, and I appreciate the temporary timetable is better than no trains. However, if you are running 2 trains an hour where you normally run 4, why on earth are you running 3 carriage trains instead of the usual 6 carriage trains??

I presume that the hole has necessitated some sort of weight limit?
Health & Fitness / Re: Prescription glasses
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 09:24:02 am »
New computer use glasses picked up.
They are wonderful. Rather than having a central 'ideal' zone that is close to circular, the 'ideal' zone with these is more like a vertical sausage. Means switching from screen to notebook, to phone is easy and crystal clear.

Varifocals . . .

Absolute disaster. They felt a bit 'off' when I put them on, but I put that down to big shift in prescription.

What is now clear, after 24 hours, is that the transition from distance to middle distance is very very abrupt and far too high. It is at my pupil height, so looking into the distance (ie anything over 4ft away) means I have to tilt my head down.
Plus, the frame around the left lens is splitting!

Phoning opticians in a min.
Grow Your Own / Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Last post by fimm on Today at 09:23:11 am »
Mr fimm has planted out some plug pea plants that we bought last weekend. Hopefully it is not too early for them!
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Gaston Lagaffe on Today at 09:20:44 am »
Stuck in the Middle With You - Stealers Wheel
« Last post by fimm on Today at 09:19:18 am »
OT Knowledge / Re: Mixer Tap regulations
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 09:19:13 am »
It seems there's no legal requirement in UK to replace lead piping. Presumably introducing such an obligation would cause Daily Mail share price cancer.
OT Knowledge / Re: Old style razors
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 09:16:58 am »
Soaps:

Best I've used is a Taylors stick. Wet face with hot water, rub stick on face, lather with wet brush.

MrsC bought me some Arran soap in a bowl. It is very nice, but messy. You lather in the bowl and it goes all over.

Proper shaving soap, good stuff, is much better than random soap. Contains moisturisers. Using cheap shaving soap or hand soap dried my skin out too much.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10