Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 421355 times)

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #100 on: 06 November, 2009, 02:31:51 pm »
Dr says that I need to do more

...but is the Dr aware of Audaxing....
[/quote]

Yes he does the odd one or two.  any more and he feels that it could get a bit obsevive sp  I am certainly feeling that I want to be back doing 200's  like the Upper Thames tomorrow  :'( (not fit enough),  but will do it next year.  :thumbsup:

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #101 on: 07 November, 2009, 09:25:51 pm »
It's done - RRTY #1 all on a Rohloff :thumbsup: Not sure what to do next. Do another back to back? After next week I'll have 5 AAARTY in the bag so might try and do them both at the same time.

1.  08 December  - 200km Monmouth Meander 
2.  09 January   - 200km Dr Fosters Winter Warmer 
3.  09 February  - 200km Malmesbury Mash 
4.  09 March     - 200km Carmarthenshire Snapper 
5.  09 April     - 200km Carmarthen Bay 200 - Estuary Welsh 
6.  09 May       - 200km Four Rivers 
7.  09 June      - 200km Wye Bother 
8.  09 July      - 200km Clwydian Horseshoe 
9.  09 August    - 200km Three Counties - Four Leaf Clover 
10. 09 September - 200km Kidderminster Killer 
11. 09 October   - 220km Hafren 
12. 09 November  - 200km Transporter
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

« Reply #102 on: 07 November, 2009, 10:25:46 pm »
 :thumbsup:Well done! Suffice it to say I didnt make it to the line: The wife has been ill all week, felt ropey myself yesterday and set off late this am - would have started about 7.30 - not keen on a totally solo run so mission aborted. I think I may have gained a few points for next year though..

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #103 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:44:14 am »
First RRTY complete. Includes some quite well known rides and a AAA SR.

Dec 08      South Bucks Winter Warmer 200
Jan 09      Poor Student 200
Feb 09      Kennett Valley Run 200   
Mar 09      End of Hibernation 200
Apr 09      Elenith 300
May 09      Bryan Chapman Memorial (2004) 600
Jun 09      Irish Mail 400
Jul 09      LEL 1400
Aug 09      Man of Kent (Perm) 200
Sep 09      Wrekin to Sea (Perm) 300
Oct 09      Mr. Pickwick's Autumnal Outing 200
Nov 09      Upper Thames 200

I've been running two in parallel since March so subject to weather related stuff and fitness hope to complete my 2nd RRTY next February.

mikewigley

« Reply #104 on: 12 November, 2009, 11:36:40 am »

I've just added up the total distance I've ridden in Randonnes since I joined AUK 18 years ago and it comes to more than 42,000km.  Taking the length of the Equator as 40,075,  I reckon that makes me a Randonneur Round the World.  But I'm not going to run that scheme!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #105 on: 12 November, 2009, 12:51:08 pm »
BC Randonneurs have both a 40,000km award and a 100,000km award. Awards and Distinctions
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #106 on: 03 December, 2009, 10:15:05 pm »
Just completed no. 36  :) Brrr it was a cold (and slow) one. Feet soaking wet through flood water early this morning; then they froze in the headwind from Odstock to Shaftesbury. Thought I'd turn out of it but it still seemed to be headwind all the way to Dorchester!! The moon was nice though  :thumbsup:
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

Chris S

« Reply #107 on: 03 December, 2009, 10:17:38 pm »
Just completed no. 36  :) Brrr it was a cold (and slow) one. Feet soaking wet through flood water early this morning; then they froze in the headwind from Odstock to Shaftesbury. Thought I'd turn out of it but it still seemed to be headwind all the way to Dorchester!! The moon was nice though  :thumbsup:

Nice Work!  :thumbsup:

Looking at various weather charts, I'm really not looking forward to this weekend. This is what makes RRTY what it is. Totally nuts. A Proper test of Metal.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #108 on: 04 December, 2009, 01:16:04 am »
Lady Vet said "Wish I hadn't seen the special badge "

Strong rumour that Mike W is dreaming up a new 10yr badge, which might go by the name Ultra (URRTY) to match the 10year SR folk.

Bring it on.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #109 on: 04 December, 2009, 06:27:10 am »
Strong rumour that Mike W is dreaming up a new 10yr badge, which might go by the name Ultra (URRTY) to match the 10year SR folk.

And there I was thinking that I had done my bit.  but it seems that I may have a bit more to do.   :-\

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #110 on: 04 December, 2009, 08:06:25 am »
Looking at various weather charts, I'm really not looking forward to this weekend. This is what makes RRTY what it is. Totally nuts. A Proper test of Metal.

A Proper Test of Mental, shurely?

I'm one ride away from a 5yrs. Non-consecutive tho, and theres an overlapping double in there somewhere. Best not tell Mrs Manotea but at one point I was 7 months into a quad. I'm feeling a lot better now, thanks.

« Reply #111 on: 04 December, 2009, 03:29:21 pm »
My name is Phil and I had a RRTY problem.  I was "hooked" for 62 consecutive months (12 of those on a double binge), but since my accident and enforced cold turkey in March I have managed to control my addiction.  I have had a few lapses (in May, August and twice in September) but it does seem to be under control now......

My worry is that the Poor Student in January might kick it all off again.

« Reply #112 on: 04 December, 2009, 03:36:21 pm »
A Proper test of Metal.

Water and road salt are notoriously bad for aluminium and steel frames, and water/grit isn't good for chains either. (Or did you mean mettle? ;) )
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #113 on: 04 December, 2009, 03:49:46 pm »
A Proper test of Metal.

Water and road salt are notoriously bad for aluminium and steel frames, and water/grit isn't good for chains either. (Or did you mean mettle? ;) )

You'll never know.

But can probably guess...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #114 on: 06 December, 2009, 12:46:08 pm »
Black Sheep wrote on another Thread:
"Will have to do a permlater in the month to keep year 4 of the RTTY going for me - and year 5 for SWMBO."

Gee, that's a 'nice' way to describe the Worker B.

I took to the road on Friday for a damp Gospel Pass 200; thought I might meet some (white) sheep up there but somehow none above Capel y Ffin.

Still, home with only minutes to spare and the satisfaction that RRTY No 10 was in the bag!!!  A few days recovery before doing my Thames & Avon 200 to keep No 11 alive.

SteveP
SteveP

« Reply #115 on: 06 December, 2009, 06:06:14 pm »
Very, very well done Steve  :thumbsup: I STILL ache from last Thursday's ride but (only just) got home in time on a (hilly) 100k in 5 hour event today. Think I prefer distance to speed  :-\
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

« Reply #116 on: 07 December, 2009, 08:13:25 am »

Congratulations Steve! And Margaret too.

(I missed another reasonable-weather chance of a December 200 yesterday.... )

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #117 on: 07 December, 2009, 10:16:41 am »
... but it was nice yesterday. The water in my socks was lovely and warm - for 12+ hours!  ;D
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

« Reply #118 on: 07 December, 2009, 10:31:41 am »
This is my first attempt at RRTY and as a consequence, riding randonees into the winter.  

I rode the Tinsel and Lanes on Saturday for the December record and felt absolutely stuffed.   200km randonees are a doddle in the summer compared with winter.  

...or is it just me?

Can't wait for the spring.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #119 on: 07 December, 2009, 10:41:28 am »
Weather looks OK for tomorrow - so a DIY 200 going south first, home via Chris S at Necton for tea and cake.

Second Dec one is made up of an add on 100 to the Norfolk Nips on Sat.

Fingers crossed that does 2 for Dec - and if anything goes wrong there is still plenty of time left
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #120 on: 07 December, 2009, 11:40:38 am »
This is my first attempt at RRTY and as a consequence, riding randonees into the winter. 

200km randonees are a doddle in the summer compared with winter. 

...or is it just me?

Can't wait for the spring.

No Philip, it is a combination of all the aspects of cycling that we seem to forget when the warm sun shines.  Just look at your bike and then what you wear and take in the winter.

Your bike might have heavier tyres and mudguards. You carry lights (2 sets?).  Then there is the clothing: wet/warm clothing and winter gloves, not to mention spare clothing/gloves 'cos you are out longer is variable temperatures.  Even in summer we just need a light rain jacket but when the water is cold, we need to keep it out.  Then you need more food - nothing worse than the Bonk in winter; somehow, do not need so much fluid!

Depending on the terrain, wet and muddy lanes slow you, you can add at least an hour to a comparable summer time.  Throw in that inevitable P******e and it can seem like your world is falling apart (I know I had that feeling when I used 2 tubes just before climbing the Gospel Pass last Friday.  It was the soup and pub fire in Hay-on-Wye that restored my faith in the task.

Winter rides should make more use of decent roads; try to avoid too many narrow muddy lanes, which adorn some excellent summer rides.  You will certainly enter the Spring rides with a different outlook.

BTW: Your Old Clee Flyer Perm card is in the post.  A great ride on a cold dry winter's day.

SteveP
SteveP

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #121 on: 08 December, 2009, 11:57:42 am »
Nope, not just you!

Steve P is quite right about skoggy (TM Martin) lanes being slower. Mud and wet leaves everywhere and puddles concealing potholes of whose knows what depth, which keeps the speed down. In spite of overshoes, water finds it's way in through the vents in the soles of my shoes. Try weighing your shoes after a wet ride! Add to this longs and rain trousers and the required effort goes up considerably. It might make an interesting Power Meter article in the comic.
I'm not sure about liquid intake though. I certainly don't feel like drinking as much and pee stops are more regular than in the summer but the inside of my 'breathable' (ha!) waterproofs suggest I am sweating just as much if not more so high intake is necessary for me or I will suffer that non alcoholic hangover feeling next day.

Anyway, that's my RRTY for December which is good as I won't be riding any potentially icy trips, just a little light training methinks  ;D
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #122 on: 08 December, 2009, 12:45:41 pm »
I've got an article somewhere (from Peak Performance?) which states the extra bulk of winter clothing as having significant drag! Can't remember the figures, but these things do all add up.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #123 on: 13 December, 2009, 07:09:53 pm »
2006      :thumbsup:
2007      :thumbsup:
2008      :thumbsup:

8/3/09 Uppertea 200
10/4/09 Fenland DIY 200
2/5/09 Severn Across 400
6/6/09 Heart of the Shires 200
4/7/09 Kent Corners 200
14/8/09 Dash Dover's Dave 200 perm (in reverse)
6/9/09 New Forest On and Offshore 200
4/10/09 WoW 200
7/11/09 Upper Thames 200
13/12/09 Mince Pies and Stollen 100 + ECE 100

27/12/09  :( wheels fell off; to be restarted 7.10

mikewigley

« Reply #124 on: 19 December, 2009, 09:49:23 am »
It's a terrible thing this RRTY.  I've got a number of riders desperate to ride tomorrow's Winter Solstice 200, just to get a december ride completed, and it really isn't going to be a good cycling day.  My riders can instead do the Holt Perm but I don't think it's due to get much warmer until the New Year.

Fortunately (you will be pleased to know) I got my own December BR in the bag a fortnight ago, so only Jan and Feb to go now.