Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 421363 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #1975 on: 18 June, 2020, 05:50:18 pm »
The wording is

If you have been working towards a RRtY award, you will have a six month 'grace' period in which to restart the calendar and recommence your monthly rides. Once restarted, you will still need to complete your 12 rides in consecutive calendar months.

I and a few others have interpreted it as WycombeWheeler has

« Reply #1976 on: 18 June, 2020, 06:02:55 pm »
A clarification was posted on Facebook today -

"At the time we suspended events, all RRtYs were frozen. So, if you had done 9 you still had 3 to be done in consecutive months. Once you have done those, you have your RRtY. We were aware that not everyone would be able to re-start from 1st August, especially with the lack of calendar events, so we decided that members could re-start their campaign at any point in the six months from 1st August and still achieve the RRtY so long as they rode a 200km in each of the remaining consecutive months. So, if you ride your first 200 of the 3 remaining ones in September then you have to ride in October and November as well. It's up to you alone when you restart. Riding a 200 does not automatically restart the clock but if you do choose to put it towards your RRtY you will need to continue 200s in consecutive months to complete the award. I hope that makes it a bit clearer."

« Reply #1977 on: 18 June, 2020, 06:37:11 pm »
For me personally i will just start again it really doesn't sit right claiming it with a 4 month gap in the middle.
To me its no different to a injury etc , but, thats my own opinion.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1978 on: 18 June, 2020, 06:45:58 pm »
Ditto, sort of, though I wasn’t far into RRtY11 anyway. Whatever floats your boat is fine by me, if your opinion differs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1979 on: 18 June, 2020, 06:46:17 pm »
Nice, so you get to nominate which BR(M) you ride between August and January restarts your RRTY.

Not that it affects me since my leg blew up the night before I was going to do my February ride.

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #1980 on: 30 June, 2020, 11:28:56 am »
Dear all RRtYers,
There is some new guidance on the resumption of RRtY series affected by the COVID-19 suspension.  Please go to this page which will be updated as necessary and read VERY carefully, then read it again:
https://audax.uk/awards-pages/randonneur-round-the-year/rrty-and-covid-19/

Refer to the FAQ before submitting a new question to me or the Event Services Director and if your question is not covered it will be added to the FAQs.

Yours sincerely,
RRtY Secretary
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #1981 on: 02 December, 2020, 04:54:45 pm »
At last, RRtY has a feeling of “normality”. Not easy to enjoy the freedom of pre-Covid but Perms allow adapting to the Covid rules for your area. In my case, after a 4mth gap, I completed RRtY32 in August and yesterday, 1 Dec,  No 33 saw completion (subject to Validation), after a 5mth hiatus.

Cannot say I enjoy the colder Winter rides (losing Apr<>Sep hurt) but normally can select my weather. Big lesson is to wear liner gloves within winter gloves, which prevents sticky hands which make the heavier glove awkward to put on/take off. Series 34 & 35 well under way.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #1982 on: 02 December, 2020, 04:58:23 pm »
I’m eyeing next week for my Dec RRTY.  Just need an ice free day for the early start. It’ll be another DIY , this time themed around war memorials. Without Covid this RRTY would have been completed last month.

« Reply #1983 on: 02 December, 2020, 05:36:31 pm »
Hope to complete No 4 on Sat - Winter Warmer calendar event.
Keep going with DiYs - 3 loops from home.
Miss the company of events

« Reply #1984 on: 02 December, 2020, 05:39:07 pm »
Enjoy your calendar event.  Doesn’t quite work for me.  But that event came close.

« Reply #1985 on: 19 December, 2020, 03:21:24 pm »
2013   :thumbsup:
2014   :thumbsup:
2015   :thumbsup:
2016   :thumbsup:
2017   :thumbsup:
2018   :thumbsup:
2019   :thumbsup:

Sep 2019 - A circuit of Northampton DIY 200k
Oct 2019 - Autumn South Salopian 200k
Nov 2019 - Willington - Atherstone tile gathering DIY 200k
Dec 2019 - Follow the M6 tile gathering DIY 200k
Jan 2020 - Poor Student 200k
Feb 2020 - Rutland & Beyond + ECE 200k
Mar 2020 - Hucknall - Ashbourne tile gathering DIY 200k
Apr 2020 - Multiple loops from home DIY 200k (not validated)
May 2020 - A pretty cloverleaf from home DIY 200k (not validated)
Jun 2020 - Fradley Junction - Belvoir Castle DIY 200k (not validated)
Jul 2020 - Rutland Totally Tiled DIY 200k (not validated)

Aug 2020 - Multiple easy loops from home on the MTB DIY 200k
Sep 2020 - Belvoir, Trent and Derwent on the MTB DIY 200k
Oct 2020 - Coleshill and Coventry tiling DIY 200k
Nov 2020 - Newstead Abbey and Southwell tiling and a Leicester loop DIY 200k
Dec 2020 - Colsterworth tiling and a Leicester loop DIY 200k

I couldn't resist keeping the 200k a month going through April to July even though the rides weren't going to be validated.  I stuck to the audax rules and (my interpretation of) the Covid 19 rules.

Validated audaxes up to 200k were reintroduced from August 1st but I crashed the MTB on August 4th resulting in AC joint separation, bruised ribs etc.  I managed to complete an easy, multi-loop 200k on August 31st to restart RRTY.  Ironically this had to be on the MTB that I had crashed as I struggled on the road bike.  I was just about in control but had to ride any climbs single handed to stop me aggravating the shoulder injury ::-)   September's 200k was also on the MTB but I am now back on the road bike  :)

Last year's RRTY was entirely calendar rides and, whilst I have made good use of DIYs for gathering VeloViewer tiles, I really look forward to riding more calendar rides next year.

« Reply #1986 on: 19 December, 2020, 04:28:24 pm »
2013   :thumbsup:
2014   :thumbsup:
2015   :thumbsup:
2016   :thumbsup:
2017   :thumbsup:
2018   :thumbsup:
2019   :thumbsup:

Sep 2019 - A circuit of Northampton DIY 200k
Oct 2019 - Autumn South Salopian 200k
Nov 2019 - Willington - Atherstone tile gathering DIY 200k
Dec 2019 - Follow the M6 tile gathering DIY 200k
Jan 2020 - Poor Student 200k
Feb 2020 - Rutland & Beyond + ECE 200k
Mar 2020 - Hucknall - Ashbourne tile gathering DIY 200k
Apr 2020 - Multiple loops from home DIY 200k (not validated)
May 2020 - A pretty cloverleaf from home DIY 200k (not validated)
Jun 2020 - Fradley Junction - Belvoir Castle DIY 200k (not validated)
Jul 2020 - Rutland Totally Tiled DIY 200k (not validated)

Aug 2020 - Multiple easy loops from home on the MTB DIY 200k
Sep 2020 - Belvoir, Trent and Derwent on the MTB DIY 200k
Oct 2020 - Coleshill and Coventry tiling DIY 200k
Nov 2020 - Newstead Abbey and Southwell tiling and a Leicester loop DIY 200k
Dec 2020 - Colsterworth tiling and a Leicester loop DIY 200k

I couldn't resist keeping the 200k a month going through April to July even though the rides weren't going to be validated.  I stuck to the audax rules and (my interpretation of) the Covid 19 rules.

Validated audaxes up to 200k were reintroduced from August 1st but I crashed the MTB on August 4th resulting in AC joint separation, bruised ribs etc.  I managed to complete an easy, multi-loop 200k on August 31st to restart RRTY.  Ironically this had to be on the MTB that I had crashed as I struggled on the road bike.  I was just about in control but had to ride any climbs single handed to stop me aggravating the shoulder injury ::-)   September's 200k was also on the MTB but I am now back on the road bike  :)

Last year's RRTY was entirely calendar rides and, whilst I have made good use of DIYs for gathering VeloViewer tiles, I really look forward to riding more calendar rides next year.

Impressive motivation to keep the 200s going thru lockdown.  And to get one done in August and September after the crash.  I completed my third series in November, but during the lockdown didn't manage anything more than 100k without the extra 'push' of validation and RRtY.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #1987 on: 19 December, 2020, 05:24:48 pm »
It seemed like good use of the fantastic weather.  If there had been a hint of rain/cold/wind I would probably have wussed out.  I did discover that the saddle on the MTB may be fine for 3-4 hour off-road trips but causes some issues for all day rides when I can't safely get out of the saddle  :facepalm:

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #1988 on: 20 December, 2020, 07:30:34 pm »
My December Dorset Coast perm was consecutive year 9 of 200's (year 8 of AAA 200's) every month, AUK RRtY validation bumped on 4 months by COVID, but that's not a problem: I haven't got any intention of stopping :) :thumbsup:

« Reply #1989 on: 22 December, 2020, 08:55:28 pm »
I started my RRTY in August 2007,  riding the PBP - yes, the wet one.
So I was damned if a pesky virus was going to stop my continuous record.

2020 rides:
Jan: DIY Dorchester to Exmouth, where my lady Miranda lives, via Watchet, where we have a seaside retreat, on the North Somerset coast, & the Exe Valley.
Feb DIY Dorchester to Brighton,  to visit my daughter at University, taking advantage of a Westerly gale.
Mar DIY Dorchester to Exmouth via Bruton, Bampton & Cullompton. Noted shop assistant sanitising her till.
Apr DIY "All Fools 200k", ridden on April 1st. Five loops from home, ridden on 3 fixed wheel bikes, including one 10km loopto Dorchester Market to buy fruit & veg, and preparing breakfast, tea breaks and lunch for daughter, at home for lockdown, writing her final dissertations.
May DIY home, Watchet, home. Felt a great sense of freedom escaping Dorset.
Jun DIY home to socially distanced lunch with brother near Bristol, then down Cheddar Gorge and Watchet, where I stayed with Miranda as Boris now gave us permission to.
Jul ĎIY left home early to ride A37, then A30, and down to Exmouth, then Watchet via hilly road via Bampton.
Aug DIY home, around Poole Harbour, home, then on to Watchet.
Sep DIY home, Portland Bill, home, Sherborne, home, Square & Compass Inn in Purbecks, where I met Brian Callow for a cider or two, then on to Bournemouth. Finished with 5 minutes to spare.
Oct DIY Dorset Coast backwards. Seemed easier than clockwise, apart from the flat ride from Poole to home, which wiped me out.
Nov DIY Another permutation of home to Exmouth via Watchet.
Dec DIY home to Calshot Flying Boat Hangar and back, to fin8sh my 161st consecutive RRTY.

During the first lockdown I adhered to the one period of exercise per day (my interpretation), and planned my routes using Googlemaps walking mode. I enjoyed the freedom of not needing proof of passage ATM receipts, so when lockdown eased I continued to self validate my rides. Maybe not in the spirit of AUK,  but my conscience was clear.
I ride a lot of DIY's. My one rule is that I never duplicate a route, and try to find a reason to visit somewhere worthwhile. Ones that come to mind include riding to Bristol Ikea to pick up a catalogue for my daughter, takiing minutes at a Wessex CTC meeting in Sslisbury, cutting my Mum's lawn 8n Bournemouth, and riding the 202km perimeter of Rhodes Island on a hire bike.
I look forward to riding calendar rides in company......

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #1990 on: 31 December, 2020, 03:22:23 pm »
New RRtY rules for the period from November 2020 to at least until the end of Covid-19 Tier 4 restrictions
I know how precious RRtY is to many AUK members and how emotive it can be, therefore, to be as ecumenical as possible with the current travel restriction guidance, in addition to the current restart allowance for 6 months from August 2020 these two clauses are added:
  • If you are able to ride a DiY, Perm or Calendar Brevet Randonneur to keep an active RRtY series ticking along then please feel free do so.
  • If you have an active series and genuinely cannot ride a BR, or feel it irresponsible to do so in your area, then the missed months will be handled as 'in suspension' for the purpose of RRtY validation.
This is a solution to allow those that are able to continue riding without penalising or placing undue pressure on those unable to ride a BR.  I will be flexible with RRtY validations at this time because I do not want anyone to ride a BR 'just' to get their tick for the month.

Each series validation claim is manually handled with a little automation but mainly in my local wetware computation device.  As the validation flexibility will undoubtedly place more demand on the wetware CPU to help me out please submit series claims during this time with these considerations:
  • Submit your claim at the RRtY form or email to rrty@audax.uk calling out the months affected by the C-19 Tier restrictions.
  • C-19 Tier restriction suspension is in place for the sole purpose of encouraging responsible riding during the pandemic, it is not for reasons listed below but not limited to:
    (i)   It's a bit cold, I fancy a month off
    (ii)  I fell off due to ice/diesel/other unspecified reason and can't ride for a few weeks - that falls under the usual RRtY rules of hard luck and GWS!
    (iii) Aunt Mabel wanted a Zoom call and stopped me going out
Please ride responsibly and above all stay safe & healthy - RRtY will be there waiting for you on the other side!

Happy New Year and lets hope 2021 is better for everyone,
huggy
RRtY Secretary

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #1991 on: 31 December, 2020, 03:46:11 pm »
Thanks Huggy. Not the easiest of situations to police. I think the key here is allowing personal flexibility to account for 4 national sets of Rules and personal responsibility within our conscience. We all have our own ambitions within the sport, RRtY being just one of them. Let's hope that when "(new)-Normal" returns, we can all look on this period for how difficult is has been just to live normally, let alone continue our sport within the inflicted constraints.

Happy RRtY-ing (and Happy New Year)
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #1992 on: 10 January, 2021, 04:37:56 pm »
There is new RRtY guidance published on the AUK website here.  Please go there to review the section titled Advice on restarting your RRtY after COVID-19 (January 2021) and edited & new FAQs.
The new announcement of RRtY validation until we are out of C-19 restrictions is complex but softens the rules to be as fair as possible to all award participants wherever they may live.  There is no point debating the new rules here, please just accept them for what they are and enjoy riding your bike how ever you are able.

Thanks,
Mr RRtY

« Reply #1993 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:17:49 am »
Mr RRtY: thankyou. Much appreciated.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #1994 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:17:09 am »
Mr RRtY: thankyou. Much appreciated.
Same here, good work and thanks huggy

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1995 on: 10 June, 2021, 11:52:10 pm »

Pending approval. Today was 12/12 for my 2nd (interrupted) RRTY. Finished it, like my first, in Groningen...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1996 on: 11 June, 2021, 09:56:22 pm »
Completed my third RRTY on 31/05.  Just awaiting it appearing as complete. As usual I’ll take a break from RRTY now till next time.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1997 on: 11 June, 2021, 10:36:23 pm »
Hm, just realised I completed a RRtY last weekend? Last BRM on 25-07-2020 then at least one DIY each month after (living in the Netherlands, we didn't have travel restrictions). Cool, I'll file a claim once the last DIY gets its homologation  8)

It's my 2nd since I started riding in autumn 2017 though I don't remember if I registered the first with AUK.

« Reply #1998 on: 11 June, 2021, 11:09:39 pm »

Pending approval. Today was 12/12 for my 2nd (interrupted) RRTY. Finished it, like my first, in Groningen...

J

J, are you actually from Groningen?  Years ago, when I was singing for my living, I did a gig there.  It was one of the nicest.  I learned a few words of Dutch just to ingratiate myself with the audience.  That went down well, though their English was better than mine anyway!

to keep it on topic, I've also done a few RRTYs!

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #1999 on: 06 July, 2021, 06:35:26 am »
RRTY number 3 completed last weekend, an uninterrupted run from August made possible by dint of moving to New Zealand. Mostly DIY's although a very breezy Fenland Friends Flatliner was in there last year, and a Kiwi Randonneurs BRM in December.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands