Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 119010 times)

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #450 on: 01 November, 2019, 02:20:40 pm »
Is it just me, or is it looking windy for Saturday?  ::-)
For sure, it is.  Definitely will require 2 bulldog clips to hold the route sheet tomorrow!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #451 on: 01 November, 2019, 02:39:10 pm »
Is it just me, or is it looking windy for Saturday?  ::-)
For sure, it is.  Definitely will require 2 bulldog clips to hold the route sheet tomorrow!

Two — really?  One has been more than enough, even in 80mph winds on the tops of Welsh hills (I kid ye not).
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #452 on: 01 November, 2019, 06:27:27 pm »
Feels very mild this evening. I've decided that multiple thin layers will be the order of the day tomorrow, not the full winter setup.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #453 on: 01 November, 2019, 06:36:34 pm »
Feels very mild this evening. I've decided that multiple thin layers will be the order of the day tomorrow, not the full winter setup.
Rode the route check today, felt very warm all the way round. I was in 3/4 bibs, LS base layer, SS jersey & rain jacket.
Temperatures look similar tomorrow with a character building breeze.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #454 on: 01 November, 2019, 07:25:42 pm »
Mild ... but wet ... and windy ... hmmm. A well stocked saddlebag of alternative layers I think.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #455 on: 01 November, 2019, 07:31:47 pm »
Mild ... but wet ... and windy ... hmmm. A well stocked saddlebag of alternative layers I think.

And spare, dry socks.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

D

• DD
  • DD
« Reply #456 on: 02 November, 2019, 01:41:55 pm »
nice to see everyone today, hope everyone enjoyed the ride after the downpour.  I was a bit soggy as I cycled back to Marks Tey accompanied by the tail and side wind, and the cars that drove past the big puddles showered me.  All in all well pleased with my achievement today.  Look forward to (hopefully) seeing everyone at the awards night next weekend.

« Reply #457 on: 02 November, 2019, 05:54:15 pm »

And spare, dry socks.

And spare gloves! At the last minute I stuck an extra pair of gloves in my saddle bag before setting off. Good job I did as I stopped for a hedge stop and dropped the gloves I was wearing into a massive puddle absolutely soaking them! No bother, I just whipped out my spares  :)

The heavy rain early on was pretty grim, but after that it was fine. An enjoyable ride  :thumbsup:
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #458 on: 03 November, 2019, 05:10:36 pm »
Grim at times, yes, but it made the beers at the finish even better! Thank you Huggy for the character building experience.  :thumbsup: Also to Andy C33333 and Bobb for the towing and company. Good to see D as perky as ever.

A lovely Dunmow Velo club-run in the sunshine this morning, with mahoosive dense and rich slice of fig, hazelnut and chocolate cake at the Blue Egg; it felt very indulgent after the rather spartan gourmet experience yesterday, though if I'd done a luxury cafe stop I probably wouldn't have ventured out again!.

Martin

« Reply #459 on: 03 November, 2019, 05:45:04 pm »
actually If I get up early enough I could train out to Goodmayes and do this both ways, any good?

https://goo.gl/maps/Kyyk9NdHHZxdJnpi6

The 17 min slower route looks a lot nicer than the direct route. However, I would suggest going to either Romford or Brentwood/Shenfield, and do a more circuitous route to the south east of your routes, and perhaps north of that route on the way back for variety. Assuming you’ll be using a mandatory route, that would give you options to ride on quieter roads, if that’s your preference.

as I have 4 hours to get 74k I might as well ride all the way from London; so it will be the most direct route. Sorry but Essex roads in the early morning are probably better than early evening especially in December

« Reply #460 on: 03 November, 2019, 06:35:24 pm »
One of those days when you realise how special or stupid Audax riders are, probably the latter. Anyway, Raymond and me were among the 25 starters, enjoying chatting to Deniece before the start and giving the 10 o'clock riders 15 minutes head start, not that we would catch them anyway.

Cold wet legs to start with, then everything warms up, Market Hill Maldon woke up the legs with the weight of saturated clothes to add to the winter bike . Arrived at Latchingdon on target, hot drink and food then targeted arrival time for Stock, again spot on, the cafe said they were closing at 4pm, the time we had scheduled to leave anyway, so perfect timing and we had tea and cake whilst they swept up around us.

Having found 5p at Latchingdon I picked up £1 at Stock, which bought Raymond a Yorkie Bar at Danbury. Took a leap of faith descending North Hill at speed then back to Wetherspoons for food, drink and stimulating conversation with the ACME group. I have witnesses that I bought Raymond a drink.

Thanks as always to my adopted team for organising the event, Stansted Express next in the Winter Series, but in between I am supporting John Thompson's Waveney Wander 100km on 24th November, so may see others there.       

« Reply #461 on: 03 November, 2019, 06:44:09 pm »
Raymond and me were among the 25 starters

I think in total there was at least double that number. A few set off in earlier waves, having the pleasure of some dry riding before the deluge struck. It passed by quickly enough, and the ride back from Stock was most enjoyable.

rob

« Reply #462 on: 03 November, 2019, 07:22:14 pm »
actually If I get up early enough I could train out to Goodmayes and do this both ways, any good?

https://goo.gl/maps/Kyyk9NdHHZxdJnpi6

The 17 min slower route looks a lot nicer than the direct route. However, I would suggest going to either Romford or Brentwood/Shenfield, and do a more circuitous route to the south east of your routes, and perhaps north of that route on the way back for variety. Assuming you’ll be using a mandatory route, that would give you options to ride on quieter roads, if that’s your preference.

as I have 4 hours to get 74k I might as well ride all the way from London; so it will be the most direct route. Sorry but Essex roads in the early morning are probably better than early evening especially in December

Thinking of riding from home - circa 80k for me so I might see you somewhere along the route.  This might be my first ever ECE.

« Reply #463 on: 03 November, 2019, 09:05:09 pm »
The Straggler and me intend to do the 9.30 start next time, less riding in the dark given our pace. Obviously missed a bunch yesterday so the 25 number we were given related to the 10am start. If weather is good for Stansted Express the ride will have to split to help the cafe. Having said that the quicker 10am riders will catch us anyway by 50k 

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #464 on: 25 November, 2019, 03:39:56 pm »
Helpers' Ride for The Stansted Airport Express, this Saturday, 30th November, starting at 09:30 from the Battesford Court.

Breakfast, lunch and a drink at the finish are on me, for those helping on the 7th - though hangers on, DIY-ers and so on will of course be welcome to ride too.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #465 on: 25 November, 2019, 04:13:22 pm »
Helpers' Ride for The Stansted Airport Express, this Saturday, 30th November, starting at 09:30 from the Battesford Court.

Breakfast, lunch and a drink at the finish are on me, for those helping on the 7th - though hangers on, DIY-ers and so on will of course be welcome to ride too.

For some reason I thought you were riding this Friday?
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #466 on: 25 November, 2019, 04:29:44 pm »

I'll be there for the ride on the 30th and helping on the 7th.

We did the 3R's helpers ride on a Friday, maybe you're remembering that one
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #467 on: 25 November, 2019, 04:50:16 pm »

I'm planning to join you, if this cold ever goes away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #468 on: 25 November, 2019, 04:59:04 pm »

I'll be there for the ride on the 30th and helping on the 7th.

We did the 3R's helpers ride on a Friday, maybe you're remembering that one

Yes perhaps I'm confused, I was wondering how the transition from OD's winter bivvy to helps ride was going to work :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #469 on: 25 November, 2019, 05:12:59 pm »
I’ll be riding on 30th and helping on 7th.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #470 on: 25 November, 2019, 06:51:24 pm »
I panicked for a moment, thinking I'd screwed up my calendar. Sister is coming this weekend, didn't want yet another audax clash
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rob

« Reply #471 on: 25 November, 2019, 09:40:38 pm »
Will be there on the 7th.  Plans for the weekend have changed a couple of times.  I’m sure it will all be fine.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #472 on: 25 November, 2019, 11:21:02 pm »

I'll be riding on the 30th, expecting to drive out to Thremhall Park Cafe on the 7th.

« Reply #473 on: 26 November, 2019, 06:39:09 pm »
Just changed my ECE route for the helpers ride on 30th ... forecast says it'll feel like -4 when I set off ... well gritted roads will now get me to the start

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #474 on: 29 November, 2019, 05:40:30 pm »
We'll have to see what the lanes are like tomorrow morning - Dancing Dick's was very puddly on Thursday, so there's the potential for ice here and beyond, throughout the morning. We could test out my gritted road alternative I have up my sleeve: Either via the Notleys to Braintree, then via Dunmow to Leaden Roding to pick up the route through Hatfield Broad Oak, or entire first half on B roads: via Braintree to Finchingfield, then back via Dunmow to Thremhall on the B1256. Both near enough 52kms as per the calendar event.

The advantage of the latter, if used for an icy morning on the main event, is that only one checkpoint/receipt is needed, in Finchingfield. Simples. If things haven't thawed by the afternoon, then you can B-road it to Thaxted and back via Bardfield and Braintree for not too many bonus kms.

We'll see what tomorrow brings ...