Author Topic: Apple, too little, too late?  (Read 1339 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Apple, too little, too late?
« on: 15 November, 2011, 01:20:57 pm »
Interesting figures from Gartner, just published:

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1848514

Android >50% market share for that period (3rd 1/4 of 2011), Symbian (yes you read right, I said Symbian) has a bigger market share than RIM or Apple, but the Apple depressed share is put down to reluctance to buy due to the release of the 4S.

Also Samsung are (for that quarter) the biggest supplier of mobile devices, having supplied a $STUPID number of SIIs.

ETA, forgot to add my question, does this mark a descent for Apple? or mearly a downwards blip?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Apple, too little, too late?
« Reply #1 on: 15 November, 2011, 01:23:44 pm »
Depends whether you think market share is important, or profitability.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 15 November, 2011, 01:30:06 pm »
Losing market share will impact on profits in the medium and long term.   Most, if not all companies look to increase on a never-ending scale.   

The problem with losing market share is that you inevitably begin to lose kudos too.   Where once you were down with teh kidz, you're sliding rapidly to be down with the grampies.   Where once teh yoof were wanting an ianything, now they are wanting blackberry, htc, samsung, etc.   

« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2011, 01:34:09 pm »
Would say that the share of web traffic via smartphones is a pretty good indicator that iOS is doing just fine.

here's a link for edification.

http://www.razorianfly.com/2011/11/01/ios-now-reflects-60-share-of-web-traffic/

Frere

« Reply #4 on: 15 November, 2011, 02:05:58 pm »
Jaded mentioned profitability.

Here's another link for edification. Caveat is that its for the 2nd quarter 2011.

http://www.asymco.com/2011/07/29/apple-captured-two-thirds-of-available-mobile-phone-profits-in-q2/

Frere

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2011, 02:09:00 pm »
Most people and commentators make a mistake looking at market share, and it may well have happened in this thread too.

The mistake? Assuming the market is the same size as it was.

« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2011, 02:18:42 pm »
No assumptions made here at all.   

All companies assume growth not only of market share but of turnover and profit.   Should one or more elements begin to shrink then As elements begin to shrink they will need to do something to maintain consumer confidence.

Nokia springs to mind.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 15 November, 2011, 02:25:49 pm »
and as a further proviso you need to know what it is that you are actually looking at. "Sales into the channel" is not sales of phones. It is sales of phones to retailers.

an example in the Guardian.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8 on: 15 November, 2011, 02:27:08 pm »
No assumptions made here at all.   

All companies assume growth not only of market share but of turnover and profit.   Should one or more elements begin to shrink then As elements begin to shrink they will need to do something to maintain consumer confidence.

Nokia springs to mind.

If you start with 100% of Market Share with a workable smart phone/tablet etc., how do you prevent that from shrinking?

« Reply #9 on: 15 November, 2011, 02:36:36 pm »
Would say that the share of web traffic via smartphones is a pretty good indicator that iOS is doing just fine.

here's a link for edification.

http://www.razorianfly.com/2011/11/01/ios-now-reflects-60-share-of-web-traffic/

Frere
so Apple have gone from 36% to 63%. Android has gone from 2.5% to 18%

How on earth they measure it is beyond me - if you are downloading via your home router, does that get counted and how?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #10 on: 15 November, 2011, 02:40:34 pm »
User Agents that the browsers 'show' to the webserver.

« Reply #11 on: 18 November, 2011, 12:10:35 am »
Further edification for the thread

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/journal/2011/11/16/coffee-time-market-share-vs-profit.html

Clearly quality > quantity.

Frere

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #12 on: 18 November, 2011, 03:37:31 pm »
Further edification for the thread

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/journal/2011/11/16/coffee-time-market-share-vs-profit.html

Clearly quality > quantity.

Frere

I think that now I know why my wife IT budget seems always to be twice mine.  ;)

Nevertheless one needs to recognise that Apple are experts in marketing.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #13 on: 18 November, 2011, 08:22:38 pm »
Nevertheless one needs to recognise that Apple are experts in marketing.

And shiny.

Personally I find a matt black titanium IBM Thinkpad more attractive than an Airbook but that's just my taste.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #14 on: 19 November, 2011, 12:02:43 pm »
True that but then their both premium products. Incidentally when I ordered my latest thinkpad w I got £1k off for choosing the top processor lol, even more for the ram upgrade to 16GB. I think their site was broked lol rather than adding on the price it deducted it. But they have honoured it! I got a £3.3k laptop for just under a grand!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium