Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391153 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #75 on: 11 May, 2011, 02:27:06 pm »
I just used the rolls of sticky backed plastic sheet, no need for the expense of a laminator.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #76 on: 11 May, 2011, 02:29:14 pm »
If you save the plastic bags given with your brevet card, you soon have an adequate supply of routesheet bags. Add a Polaris holder and you're there.

(okay, I do actually have a Garmin unit - recent convert).

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #77 on: 11 May, 2011, 02:39:40 pm »
Initially I put my route sheet in the the plastic bag with my brevet card & carried it in a jersey back pocket.Felt like a proper audaxer :demon:  ;D

« Reply #78 on: 11 May, 2011, 02:41:28 pm »
I just used the rolls of sticky backed plastic sheet, no need for the expense of a laminator.

My laminator cost £15 from Tesco  ;D

My kids sometimes use it for things too, it's pretty handy!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #79 on: 11 May, 2011, 02:44:11 pm »

My laminator cost £15 from Tesco  ;D

My kids sometimes use it for things too, it's pretty handy!

mine was a legitimate business expense  ;)

« Reply #80 on: 11 May, 2011, 02:45:43 pm »
Condensation can be an issue inside the plastic bag.  As I'm still at the laggy-band-around-the-arm stage (which led to Jim Gresty commenting "Oh, you must be a devotee of Flat Earth Bob"), careful positioning of the band so as not to obscure the instructions is also essential.

I usually carry a spare laggy band, too - and more than once I've given them away, including when people's devices have given up the ghost/made a bid for freedom.  Handy things.

« Reply #81 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:19:19 pm »
At the other end of the paranoid scale I have a GPS but I also program the location of the controls into my phone so if the GPS "died" I can use the GPS in my phone to navigate with.

AND I take a route sheet in a plastic bag.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #82 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:41:04 pm »
Alternatively, choose a ride on which the instructions are very simple, e.g.

R from control onto A4
Ride to Bath
Retrace

Which I vaguely recall being mentioned in Arrivee once (possibly an Audax Myth?)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #83 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:42:17 pm »
GPS with route in it.
Routesheet with each line highlighted in different colours to aid concentration.
Maptrap containing routesheet.
Routesheet in sticky-back plastic.
Spare routesheet (in case routesheet #1 is blown away by Welsh gale), as above, in HUUUGE Carradice saddlebag (where the pork pies and extra clothing lives).
Photocopies of the route from the office road atlas, with route highlighted  - and covered in sticky-back plastic, in saddlebag.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #84 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:52:57 pm »
Alternatively, choose a ride on which the instructions are very simple, e.g.

R from control onto A4
Ride to Bath
Retrace

Which I vaguely recall being mentioned in Arrivee once (possibly an Audax Myth?)

'Retrace to MENCAP' (from Gonerby on Bernie's Long Flat One) was not a myth.
I wrote my own route sheet on file paper.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #85 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:58:02 pm »
On the topic of route sheet disintegration

I have ridden lots of wet audaxes in the past few years

I always have the route sheet clipped to the bars on a homemade holder with no weather protection.  It is just a bit of paper on a board.  I usually have a spare copy of  the paper route sheet

Often it gets wet and has to be handled with care if it needs turning over.  But I only had it actually disintegrate once, during a very very wet ride ( I think possibly the wettest ever ) and that was at the end of the route.  I had memorised the last couple of instructions so it didn't matter

So given that it has only happened once to me in 5 years worth of riding the risk of "disintegration" and all the effort that people put in with lamination could well be misplaced

« Reply #86 on: 11 May, 2011, 05:01:40 pm »
On the topic of route sheet disintegration

I have ridden lots of wet audaxes in the past few years

I always have the route sheet clipped to the bars on a homemade holder with no weather protection.  It is just a bit of paper on a board.  I usually have a spare copy of  the paper route sheet

Often it gets wet and has to be handled with care if it needs turning over.  But I only had it actually disintegrate once, during a very very wet ride ( I think possibly the wettest ever ) and that was at the end of the route.  I had memorised the last couple of instructions so it didn't matter

So given that it has only happened once to me in 5 years worth of riding the risk of "disintegration" and all the effort that people put in with lamination could well be misplaced

In that case I strongly recommend you avoid entering any audax that I have also entered, because I've ridden 3 so far this year in rainfall of biblical proportions  ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #87 on: 11 May, 2011, 05:03:43 pm »

In that case I strongly recommend you avoid entering any audax that I have also entered, because I've ridden 3 so far this year in rainfall of biblical proportions  ;D

In that case I strongly hope that you are not riding the World's End 200k on Sunday :hand:

« Reply #88 on: 11 May, 2011, 05:07:05 pm »

In that case I strongly recommend you avoid entering any audax that I have also entered, because I've ridden 3 so far this year in rainfall of biblical proportions  ;D

In that case I strongly hope that you are not riding the World's End 200k on Sunday :hand:

I heard the organiser just took delivery of a shipment of gopher wood ;)

« Reply #89 on: 11 May, 2011, 05:10:34 pm »

Fortunately for you, I'm not  :D
Look out anyone who's entered the Denmead 400 on Saturday though!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #90 on: 11 May, 2011, 05:10:34 pm »

I heard the organiser just took delivery of a shipment of gopher wood ;)

I pray that your info. is innarkurate

edited for continuity

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #91 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:09:20 pm »
Actually for me one of the mahoosive benefits of GPS is that you can see it in the dark and it doesn't disintegrate into papier mache in the rain!

Head torch and plastic bag?

I tried that but the guy who ripped it off when I was suffocating said "that's the weirdest perversion I've ever seen".
It is simpler than it looks.

Martin

« Reply #92 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:13:24 pm »
If you save the plastic bags given with your brevet card, you soon have an adequate

doesn't everyone just put the route sheet in the same bag?

(no it's just me as I keep both in a back pocket)

talking of which I send out a plastic wallet with each DIY card; maybe I should give out one free and introduce a 10p environmental tax on the other 5

« Reply #93 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:36:30 pm »
Actually for me one of the mahoosive benefits of GPS is that you can see it in the dark and it doesn't disintegrate into papier mache in the rain!

Head torch and plastic bag?

I tried that but the guy who ripped it off when I was suffocating said "that's the weirdest perversion I've ever seen".

We must meet up in a motorway service area sometime.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #94 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:49:54 pm »
You are George Michael AICMFP

« Reply #95 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:28:36 pm »

I claim my five pounds???

Showing your age there Jogs
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #96 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:52:05 pm »
Mine bleeps at me within 6 feet if I go off route  ;D

I can set mine up to beep every so often when I am on route (ie at the intermediate points bikeroutetoaster produces). That is quite annoying, so I switch it off!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #97 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:19:14 am »

I claim my five pounds???

Showing your age there Jogs

Maggie May tells me I wear it well ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded