Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210803 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #925 on: 21 August, 2020, 12:10:37 pm »
Two guys out on mountain bikes last night. Assuming they were together as the idiot was spotted waiting for his mate who appeared to have sense.

Huge queue at Bridge which oncoming traffic has priority on. I'm sat at front and he comes flying past and straight onto bridge. The bridge isn't wide and narrowed by cones and fence where is guess someone hit the bridge

The oncoming driver had to stop and there wasn't much room for the cyclist to squeeze through. His gain was zero as his mate stopped and waited and when we both crossed bridge and I safely overtook he was waiting up the road for him

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #926 on: 09 September, 2020, 12:00:48 am »
NO SPITTING!

There's a pandemic on.  If you must projectile gob while riding your bike, please check you're not being overtaken by another cyclist first.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #927 on: 09 September, 2020, 11:36:18 am »
x100
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #928 on: 09 September, 2020, 02:05:11 pm »
x101
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #929 on: 10 September, 2020, 05:30:20 pm »
Just for clarity, does that apply to snot rockets too?

« Reply #930 on: 10 September, 2020, 05:32:34 pm »
Or farting?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #931 on: 21 September, 2020, 03:33:44 pm »
Youngish lad cycling down a big wide road with a lane wide chevron down middle as lots of turns off it. His position was primarily if he was on the continent and the chevrons were the kerb. Occasionally he would move onto the chevrons so people could pass on his left but would then wander back into the lane with no looking

« Reply #932 on: 20 October, 2020, 09:13:22 pm »
Listen fuckwit. If my bike light is at a bad angle (it is new so maybe I've got the angle set wrong) and dazzling you on the narrow path then say something like "Oh your light's at a bad angle".

Pulling a torch from your pocket and then riding at me one handed shining it directly in my face just means there are now two people dazzled.

Fancy then whining as you ride away "You don't need your light on on the paaaaaath". Umm, I think I'll decide when lights are appropriate. Plus the switch for the dynamo light is halfway down the fork, I'm not stopping and getting off to turn it off for the sake of 500m of path when I've got roads for the rest of the commute.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #933 on: 05 November, 2020, 04:16:53 pm »
Two DOTD today. I regularly run with my dogs on a shared use path on Thursday mornings. It's not terribly busy at 7am, so I do a combination of on-harness and off-harness running. First DOTD is an older guy I see relatively regularly. He rides down, and then back up the path, so I'll see him twice. He's got a stupidly bright light, that is angled at head height of someone walking/running. Acknowledging Ashaman's post above, this guy knows his light is badly angled because I see him every week, and every week for the last 6 weeks I've been forced to come to a complete stop with my hand shielding my eyes because I can't see. I can't see him; I can't see my dog; I can't see the path. Fortunately for him, the dog is attached to my waist, but the path is quite narrow in places, so it's really hard to arrange the dog being out of range if said cyclist continues to cycle down the centre of the path.

The second one was a guy who was coming down behind me. It's possible to get up to a fairly high speed as this section is downhill without any major corners for about 3km. Just because it is possible to ride at 20mph, doesn't mean you should. And if you do, ringing your bell at about 3 seconds before you pass someone at 20mph is proper dickish, and fairly likely to lead to collision if you do if often enough. 

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #934 on: 05 November, 2020, 05:52:46 pm »
On my normally civilised commute: two unlit cars passed in quick succession, in near-darkness at 5pm, then an unlit cyclist hopped off the pavement and cut across my path, then the road, at speed, just as I was crossing at the Tesco roundabout to follow the cyclepath into town. It was busy, and I'm not sure how he is still alive ...

« Reply #935 on: 11 November, 2020, 09:03:24 pm »
Ah bugger - I think the DOTD might have been me this evening  :facepalm:

Heading down out of Hailsham planning to pick up the Cuckoo trail where it crosses the road at a Toucan crossing. A trio of cars pass me and then there's a nice big gap before the next car coming. So I signal, and, well in advance, move most of the way across the lane and start slowing ready to swing right and off the road. But I can hear that he's going for an overtake, I swing a bit more to the right to claim my space (whilst very ready to dive left if needed) at which he abandons the overtake. I gave him a hard stare and a headshake and turned right as planned. Whereupon the moment I'm off the road I have to slow for a Sustrans barrier and I hear him slowing down.

I give an indignant loud mutter of "Where'd you learn to drive then?" to which he replies "I couldn't see your arm mate!". Ah, well that took the wind right out of my sails. Anyway we both then carried on our way at that point.

So yeah, it was dark and an unlit road, and my jacket is black. It does have some retroreflective patterning on the arms but not exactly masses. So I'm probably not helping myself and will see if the fluorescent 'slapwrap' armbands I have (they were even in my bag with me as well - not much help there) are reflective as well and if not buy something new.

But still I don't think I'm entirely in the wrong. He's got much more powerful headlights than me for one and for two, if I saw a cyclist moving over to the middle of the road ahead of a lit crossing with big blue signs announcing a major cycle route I must just wonder if maybe they were moving over for a reason arm signal or not.

Dunno.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #936 on: 12 November, 2020, 09:01:55 pm »
hmm
aren't us cyclists only supposed to indicate if it is safe for us to do so
which means a.n.other can't rely on a cyclist continuing along their current road, the cyclist may want to turn but not be able to safely indicate
which means a.n.other needs to look at what the cyclist is doing and not just rely on the cyclist indicating or not
(it's not as if motorists are consistent about bothering to flick out their finger and trigger that indicaty-y thing anyway)

though I fear the above is verh high expectation of motorists as a whole given their propensity to overtake cyclists when approaching corners, juntions and whatnot which I don't think the highway code recommends
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #937 on: 12 November, 2020, 09:14:42 pm »
I did suffer a couple of "of course I can overtake on this blind bend, it's dark and there are no headlights shining on the hedge from round the corner"

Which, yeah, probably safer than the same in daylight but a) I was trying to dodge the potholes on the inside of the bend and ii) there could have been a bike or an unlit car in the way.

There wasn't but they didn't know that.

Anyway, I dug out my slapwrap things and a flash photo shows they are more reflective than I realised. So I'll wear them in future, I begrudge the necessity and all but it might help and certainly won't hurt.

fuzzy

« Reply #938 on: 15 November, 2020, 04:27:02 pm »
Dear Fuzzy, when you are trying to execute a track stand at a pelican crossing, concentrate on what yoy are doing. Don't mutter under your breath about the Jerk inna Merc in the oppopsite lane who has seriously overshot the stop line. Ignore him.
Failure to do so will result in you not being prepared for the light staying red longer than youe expected precipitating a requirement to unclip with haste.
This haste, due to the cold and recent exertions will set off a cramp in your calf.
With a cramp in your calf, you can't unclip.
This will lead rapidly to a Fuzzy/ pavement interface. With an audience.
Idiot.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #939 on: 15 November, 2020, 08:00:01 pm »
This will lead rapidly to a Fuzzy/ pavement interface. With an audience.
Idiot.

Ouch. Hoping nothing more dented than your pride  ;D

Been there, done that. Failed timing of 'filter into the ASL just as the lights change' manoeuvre. Somehow ended up half standing with my left leg through the frame and my right foot stuck/clipped in ???. Fortunately the man in the BMW I had just passed waited patiently, as the lights changed, while I hopped/dragged myself to the pavement before having a little lie down . I don't know who was laughing at my idiocy more, me or him ...... but thank you Mr Stranger in a Beemer for not making it worse.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #940 on: 15 November, 2020, 08:09:01 pm »
<SFX: sad tuba> ;D

sorrynotsorry...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #941 on: 14 December, 2020, 07:49:38 pm »
Stopped in primary position of the leftmost straight-on lane at the lights of the big junction by Bournville College[1] in Longbridge, I hear a swooshing noise behind me.  I was in the process of wondering what it was when the cyclist goes skidding past between me and the car stopped on my right, eventually managing to come to a stop in the middle of the junction, just short of the right-turning traffic that was by this point entering from the left.

I always thought brakeless fixie twats were a fair-weather thing, if not strictly a London one.  They're really not cut out for these skoggy roads.

[1] Which is made of Lego, not chocolate.

« Reply #942 on: 17 December, 2020, 06:46:51 pm »
^
1. There are two big lights
2. It weren't no student - we've been closed online for the week
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #943 on: 04 February, 2021, 08:46:35 am »
Two ninja cyclists today, in the dark, foggy enough to use fog lights in the car. One was wearing pale clothing riding a BSO, the other was wearing black on a road bike and moving much faster. Both were only visible when they became silhouettes against other car headlights.
On the positive side - 5 cyclists with proper lights, and one with a helmet mounted one.

Also, yesterday, kids riding electric scooters up and down the middle of my residential street, 2 up. They were very fortunate the car coming the other way had their wits about them when they went flying past it on the wrong side of the road round a (relatively) blind bend!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #944 on: 04 February, 2021, 10:49:32 am »
These witfull cars are great!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #945 on: 04 February, 2021, 10:58:57 am »
Kids playing in the street? What utter dickheads!

« Reply #946 on: 05 March, 2021, 11:35:53 am »

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #947 on: 05 March, 2021, 11:59:35 am »
Has a certain FNRttC organiser been up north?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #948 on: 05 March, 2021, 12:05:43 pm »
I hope he had a good excuse:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-56291594

It's a lot safer than most other places people are expected to cycle?

ETA:
The cycle route between Paris and Rambouillet for the start of PBP:
https://goo.gl/maps/YSptqeMgwhxcSwYx9

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #949 on: 05 March, 2021, 11:40:59 pm »