Author Topic: Small victories  (Read 14737 times)

Re: Small victories
« Reply #100 on: 28 July, 2021, 10:03:33 pm »
The context is that my Megacorp is getting closer and closer to aping TCS (Tata's IT outfit), and our colleagues in the sub-continent are busily engaged creating "offerings". Possibly to the lord Ganesh, I couldn't possibly comment. My stature and role allows me some leeway and input into such things. And yes, cloud assessment was the name of the game. They have taken my slide and run with it, it is out in the wild and is making its way into a customer presentation in real time.

Not that I haven't changed, but it is very reminiscent of 1983 or thereabouts, when installing the PC-XTs I called all the hard drives "Hardon" and got all the secretaries to tell me they had problems with their Hardon.

ian

« Reply #101 on: 28 July, 2021, 10:09:13 pm »
I wish we'd managed to grab that coffee that time we were both in orbit above Blackfriars, we'd so rule the world by now.

« Reply #102 on: 28 July, 2021, 10:16:54 pm »
 ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #103 on: 29 July, 2021, 06:56:06 am »
The Infosys and TCS guys at our place actually did have little Ganeshes on their desks, and gave them as gifts to some of our people.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #104 on: 29 July, 2021, 08:12:37 am »
Ganesha is the remover of obstacles. Cosmic troubleshooter if you would.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #105 on: 15 January, 2022, 11:32:51 am »
  • Lever aged body onto knees
  • Softly and silently jibble the handle on the Velux window to its “open a tiny bit” position
  • Yank the handle of the Velux window vigorously to its “fully open” position
  • Smile at the sound of pigeons vacating the roof of Larrington Towers in a blind panic
  • Go back to sleep for another hour

Alas, pigeons are very stupid and do not learn from experience so the little feathery shits always come back >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #106 on: 15 January, 2022, 01:24:39 pm »
Landmines.

Or a specially-trained wol.

« Reply #107 on: 15 January, 2022, 02:00:57 pm »
That was my experience this year, other quotes were very similarly priced as my renewal notice with all rising some 20% or so. Strange given lockdown and most people being home all day.

I saw a report recently that some police forces (Northamptonshire is one of them) are claiming the credit for reduced burglaries over the past two years.  Not even a mention that this might have been helped by all those people now working from home.

I wonder how they will spin the inevitable increases once the sheeple herd back into town and city centres en masse.?

« Reply #108 on: 15 January, 2022, 05:38:49 pm »
That was my experience this year, other quotes were very similarly priced as my renewal notice with all rising some 20% or so. Strange given lockdown and most people being home all day.

I saw a report recently that some police forces (Northamptonshire is one of them) are claiming the credit for reduced burglaries over the past two years.  Not even a mention that this might have been helped by all those people now working from home.

I wonder how they will spin the inevitable increases once the sheeple herd back into town and city centres en masse.?

Shitti Patel claimed something like this in one of (the few) Covid updates she was allowed to do.
IIRC, she announced that there had been a twelve hundred, eleventy thousand and two, thirteenty and fifty twelve % reduction in whatever during the lockdown.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #109 on: 15 January, 2022, 05:46:28 pm »
Landmines.

Professor Larrington tells of $SEASIDE_TOWN which employed a Big Ferce Raptor to deal with ASBO-ignoring seagulls.  Unfortunately said birb went native and started joining in with the “Mugging Tourists For Chips” racket :facepalm:

« Reply #110 on: 18 January, 2022, 03:59:27 pm »
Landmines.

Professor Larrington tells of $SEASIDE_TOWN which employed a Big Ferce Raptor to deal with ASBO-ignoring seagulls.  Unfortunately said birb went native and started joining in with the “Mugging Tourists For Chips” racket :facepalm:

Seems a reasonable choice to me - presumably neither tourists nor their chips offer as much resistance as your average seagull.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #111 on: 18 January, 2022, 04:26:23 pm »
Landmines.

Seems a reasonable choice to me - presumably neither tourists nor their chips offer as much resistance as your average seagull.

The ledges of our offices are kept low pigeon by a contractor who comes around with a trained Harris Hawk.

Although I read in my latest RSPB magazine that feral pigeon numbers are reducing
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #112 on: 18 January, 2022, 06:13:09 pm »
Landmines.

The ledges of our offices are kept low pigeon by a contractor who comes around with a trained Harris Hawk.

Although I read in my latest RSPB magazine that feral pigeon numbers are reducing

Not on my bloody roof, they ent >:(

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #113 on: 23 June, 2022, 05:37:45 pm »
Two to report today...

First, a cull on my gmail inbox means I now have fewer than 7k unread emails.  :thumbsup:

Second, first payday for my new job and the sum that landed in my bank account was somewhat more than anticipated.  ???

Looking at my payslip, my first thought was they'd mistakenly *added* the tax rather than deducting it... but on closer inspection, it seems they've factored in my YTD earnings from my P45 and worked out that because I had a month out of employment, I'm actually due a small rebate. Hurrah! That's enough to pay for a beer or two, so thanks.

Anyway, the cull on the gmail is still the real win today. It feels quite liberating to have deleted about 20k emails.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #114 on: 23 June, 2022, 06:10:34 pm »
20k, blimey! Makes my 2k look very amateurish!
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

Small victories
« Reply #115 on: 23 June, 2022, 07:12:12 pm »

Mainly a result of getting my name on a number of mailing lists and just ignoring the emails (which gmail helpfully corrals away in a folder marked Promotions, so I know I can safely ignore them).

Among the biggest culprits are LinkedIn, who seem to send me at least 20 emails every day, none of which I ever open. I thought it was about time I made an effort to change my notification settings, which I’ve done, so hopefully that stream will dry up now.

There’s also some weird glitch that I think is caused by linking Apple and Google calendars, which means I get about 100 alerts every time someone in my contacts has a birthday. No idea how to fix that one, so I just ignore the emails and occasionally delete them in bulk.

I still have nearly 7k unread, but that’s because I got bored eventually - gmail only lets you mark a maximum of 100 at a time.

But my main inbox - the one I care about- is now down to zero unread.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #116 on: 23 June, 2022, 08:54:35 pm »
Ctrl-a, shift-delete

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #117 on: 23 June, 2022, 09:04:26 pm »

I'm intermediate, with 11.6k unread...

« Reply #118 on: 23 June, 2022, 09:34:22 pm »

I still have nearly 7k unread, but that’s because I got bored eventually - gmail only lets you mark a maximum of 100 at a time.

Not so. Use search, then check the box on the top left of the message listing, you will be asked if you want to select all that match the search. Then, delete applies to all (and gives you another warning)

citoyen

« Reply #119 on: 23 June, 2022, 09:55:31 pm »

Not so. Use search, then check the box on the top left of the message listing, you will be asked if you want to select all that match the search. Then, delete applies to all (and gives you another warning)

You mean this line across the top of the page here where it says "Select all conversations that match this search"?

Can somebody explain to me why I didn't notice that before?  :facepalm:

<Trundles over to fecking div thread...>

On the plus side... inbox zero achieved. Yay!

(Thanks, Ham.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #120 on: 23 June, 2022, 09:58:36 pm »
I'm terribly old-fashioned:  When I subscribe to a mailing list, I create a folder and filter rules for it, so the messages can be safely ignored in future without interfering with my inbox.  None of this use-the-search google rubbish.

citoyen

« Reply #121 on: 23 June, 2022, 10:07:01 pm »
I'm terribly old-fashioned:  When I subscribe to a mailing list, I create a folder and filter rules for it, so the messages can be safely ignored in future without interfering with my inbox.  None of this use-the-search google rubbish.

I expect you use a desktop mail client too, right? I just use the Gmail web client, which doesn't have folders. You can filter stuff into categories with tags, but it doesn't actually move it from the inbox.

It works fine for me on the whole because I treat emails as ephemeral, not something to be archived.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #122 on: 24 June, 2022, 12:37:40 am »

I expect you use a desktop mail client too, right? I just use the Gmail web client, which doesn't have folders. You can filter stuff into categories with tags, but it doesn't actually move it from the inbox.

Most of the time.  Sometimes I use a mobile mail client.  Or webmail.  Or a console mail client over SSH.  Whichever is convenient.

The folders and filtering are server-side, so it's client-agnostic, and only the stuff I actually care about lands in the inbox.  It's what we used to do before gmail was invented.

It works fine for me on the whole because I treat emails as ephemeral, not something to be archived.

It appears to work surprisingly well, at least until it doesn't.  Sometimes it's hard to tell whether gmail has buried an email, or arbitrarily decided that it's spam, but if my interactions with gmail users are anything to go by, it's usually the latter.  (I have a gmail account, but I've never really used its web interface other than for testing things - every time I go back it seems to have been re-designed.)

I note we have a whole generation of email users who've never used folders.  Or a mail client.  Until they get a job that inflicts Outlook on them.   :hand:

Of course, they probably haven't used mailing lists either.  I find that lists benefit from being quarantined until such a time as I can be arsed to read and/or search them.  Like we used to do with newsgroups, and indeed still do with web forums and social media.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #123 on: 24 June, 2022, 01:42:33 am »

'tis also one of the groovier things about Thunderbollocks that it stores your rules in a nice simple plain text file.  It’s often quicker to edit this than faff about with Thunderbum's rule-manipulating wossname too, if you’re like me and have a collection of a thousand spammy subject lines that ensure instant filing in the bit bucket.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #124 on: 24 June, 2022, 02:13:14 am »

Can't you just remove the inbox label?