Author Topic: Duck lips.  (Read 4348 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Duck lips.
« Reply #50 on: 07 January, 2022, 01:52:16 pm »
I'd say there are just as many women as men with tattoos and that reaction to them depends far more on cultural factors such as nationality, religion, age, class, than gender. However, the only two tattooists I can name are both men: one of them because he was a twat about Covid and various other things and got in the papers, the other because he's done a couple of tattoos on a friend of mine – a 75-year old woman who used to be a churchwarden.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #51 on: 07 January, 2022, 02:41:50 pm »

- Bloke wants to get vasectomy? Sure, come on in, sign this form, no need to ask your wife.

That really wasn't my experience when I wanted a vasectomy. I had to see a doctor for an 'informed discussion' first, which included probing questions like "Do you already have children? Are you married, and is your partner aware you are intending to get a vasectomy?"
When I responded 'yes' to these questions, they even pointed out that it would be conceivable that I would get divorced, start another relationship and my new partner would want children. How would I handle that?

Come on, down with these silly facts, this is the internet.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #52 on: 07 January, 2022, 05:42:48 pm »

- Bloke wants to get vasectomy? Sure, come on in, sign this form, no need to ask your wife.

That really wasn't my experience when I wanted a vasectomy. I had to see a doctor for an 'informed discussion' first, which included probing questions like "Do you already have children? Are you married, and is your partner aware you are intending to get a vasectomy?"
When I responded 'yes' to these questions, they even pointed out that it would be conceivable that I would get divorced, start another relationship and my new partner would want children. How would I handle that?

is this thread a good place to point out that, "doing stuff to your body" also includes
- no-one batting an eyelid when women fill themselves with fake hormones throughout a large proportion of their adult life (aka contraceptives) plus added impact on the water supply, apparently
- but there's no encouragement for blokes who don't want kids getting the snip (see MrCharly's experience).  Last time I looked vasectomies were reversible and it's less complicated than getting tubes tied (I agree this is hardly and exact comparison but you get my drift.  There was a graun article on the subject last year)

meanwhile - tattoos - would it make sense to pay an obligatory tattoo removal one-off insurance contribution when you buy a tattoo, and for tattoo removal to be funded by this (I exempt pimp ownership and similar involuntary tattoos from this.  I don't know enough about the subject to think about edge cases such as gang membership)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #53 on: 07 January, 2022, 05:46:11 pm »

Is this what happened when you had your vasectomy or are you just talking out of your arse?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #54 on: 07 January, 2022, 05:59:28 pm »
I think attitudes towards tattoos have changed. A friend of my mum's very posh, married to a Dr, got a tattoo on her arm for her 65th birthday or something (egged on by a daughter) and wasn't asking Mr Husband for approval (he could like it or lump it). My mum was a bit *boggle* and "not keen" on tattoos but agreed it was her body/life and whatever... Apparently one of tattoo lady's neighbours in her 80s was SO disgusted by it that she stopped speaking to the entire family...

I think not all tattoos are equal. Some are more considered and thought through than others. Some people regret them, and some don't. I don't want tattoos myself, but I do find them interesting, I find there's often an interesting story behind them.

« Reply #55 on: 07 January, 2022, 06:11:51 pm »

is this thread a good place to point out that, "doing stuff to your body" also includes
- no-one batting an eyelid when women fill themselves with fake hormones throughout a large proportion of their adult life (aka contraceptives) plus added impact on the water supply, apparently
- but there's no encouragement for blokes who don't want kids getting the snip (see MrCharly's experience).  Last time I looked vasectomies were reversible and it's less complicated than getting tubes tied (I agree this is hardly and exact comparison but you get my drift.  There was a graun article on the subject last year)

meanwhile - tattoos - would it make sense to pay an obligatory tattoo removal one-off insurance contribution when you buy a tattoo, and for tattoo removal to be funded by this (I exempt pimp ownership and similar involuntary tattoos from this.  I don't know enough about the subject to think about edge cases such as gang membership)

Agreed - a vasectomy is a minor op under local. Takes about 15 min including getting changed. Mine went a bit wrong, but that is very unusual.

Reversibility shouldn't be counted upon as 100% successful, and I believe you have to spend some time with weights attached to your balls.

However, it is an absolutely trivial procedure, with trivial consequences, compared to the female equivalent.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 07 January, 2022, 06:12:25 pm »
I think attitudes towards tattoos have changed. A friend of my mum's very posh, married to a Dr, got a tattoo on her arm for her 65th birthday or something (egged on by a daughter) and wasn't asking Mr Husband for approval (he could like it or lump it). My mum was a bit *boggle* and "not keen" on tattoos but agreed it was her body/life and whatever... Apparently one of tattoo lady's neighbours in her 80s was SO disgusted by it that she stopped speaking to the entire family...

I think not all tattoos are equal. Some are more considered and thought through than others. Some people regret them, and some don't. I don't want tattoos myself, but I do find them interesting, I find there's often an interesting story behind them.

I have no strong feelings about them, but there's a Rule According To Kim™: Never get a tattoo in a language you can't read.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #57 on: 07 January, 2022, 06:17:21 pm »
I'm not sure I see the idea here. It's your body, your tattoo, you pay to have it done and if you want it removed, you pay for that too. I'm sure tattoo insurance would work, just like other forms of insurance do, but why should they be obligatory except where the risk insured against is borne by a third party (like motor insurance or public liability)?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #58 on: 07 January, 2022, 06:42:20 pm »

- but there's no encouragement for blokes who don't want kids getting the snip (see MrCharly's experience).  Last time I looked vasectomies were reversible and it's less complicated than getting tubes tied

...which is the exact reason why, in spite of QG's hyperbole,  that women are not encouraged to blithely get sterilised. It's a significant surgical operation with many possible complications and not particularly efficacious. A vasectomy is a 15 minute procedure with a local anaesthetic that often can be performed by your GP.

My wife enquired about sterilisation without me present. It wasn't refused but it was strongly suggested that me getting my nuts done would be preferable.  This wasn't done to deny a woman agency, as per QG's suggestion, but spare her considerable hardship.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #59 on: 07 January, 2022, 06:51:01 pm »

I point you at the case of Holly Brockwell...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #60 on: 07 January, 2022, 06:57:39 pm »
And I suppose you think your GP will gladly refer a childless man in his 20s for a vasectomy do you?   ::-)

ian

« Reply #61 on: 07 January, 2022, 10:06:07 pm »

Is this what happened when you had your vasectomy or are you just talking out of your arse?

That would be a significant procedural failure.

« Reply #62 on: 07 January, 2022, 10:11:51 pm »
Join the (not very) exclusive club, Ian. Go to your GP and get your nuts tampered with.

Swing low, sweet chariot 🎶

« Reply #63 on: 08 January, 2022, 01:01:28 pm »

I'm not really bothered by what folks to do their own bodies, but I feel there's a limit somewhere. Tattoos and piercings? Fine, if that's your thing. Alien claw hand man (mentioned upthread)? Hell no. The trouble is, I don't know where I would draw the line (no pun intended); at what point does body modification move from self-expression to harmful? ???

There's a massive amount range in what in many cases may be body dysphoria. I remember a few years ago watching a documentary about a guy who felt that he shouldn't have legs, hated them, and wanted them to be removed. No doctor was willing to do it.

It's really interesting (read also anger inducing), when you look at the various permanent or near permanent things people do with their bodies, and the way the medical profession act to them.

- Woman wants to get her tubes tied? Doctor's usually won't do it, what if you change your minds, what if your husband wants kids
- Woman get's tattoo. "ew, men aren't going to like that, how's that going to look when you're old?"
- Man get's tattoo "cool ink bro!"
- Woman gets lip fillers or boob implants, or most other plastic surgery. EW SLUT!
- Man does it? no comments
- Trans person wants to live in a body that matches who they feel they are. Must live for 2 years in that role, and see a battery of shrinks, and put up with society asking each other (but not them), if they should be allowed to exist.

But there are also societal expectations on which people of various genders should do. We've all seen the report about the Aussie news presenter who wore the same suit for a year and noone noticed. Yet if one of his female cohosts wore the same outfit twice, there would be stories about it in the news. Youtuber Tom Scott only has one kind of tshirt, to the point the red tshirt thing has become a running gag in some of his videos. He did that cos it looks ok, and it avoids the need to decide what to wear. I know a woman in tech in the US who did something similar, with a number of identical pairs of leggings, and a number of identical tops. She gets quite a lot of comments about it. I'm not a great one for fashion, i tend to choose clothes based on being comfortable, I have 3 identical pairs of trousers (craghopper kiwi pro stretch), 4 skirts, and about a dozen tops. Despite not being in the office that much in the last year, it's enough that one of my colleagues noticed I have a small wardrobe. I also haven't worn make up since at least 2016. Why that date? Well I left it all in the UK when I moved. A gay friend has promised to go make up shopping with me when the rules permit it (he give's me fashion advice, I do DIY tasks for him, the classic lesbian and gay man relationship). I do have friend who do not feel dressed without makeup on tho. To the point that they will do make up to get on a zoom call, then sit there in their dressing gown. I mentioned this sort of thing in the super twat thread about a certain person being a camera nazi. There is an expectation from society for what is presentable for women in the work place, and in many cases make up, even at just a minimal level, is part of that. If you're at home, working on your own all day, to be told at short notice "Hey, let's just jump on zoom" is not as simple as it is for men. I make a point of not turning my camera on, and as such despite having online meetings most days, I often don't get dressed, working all day in just a towel (I need to get a dressing gown, my old one is in the same place as my make up).

Anyway, I'm waffling, people are shit, society puts way more pressure on women to appear in certain ways, and people are way too judgemental about it all. Unless you're being pressured to conform to something, who cares, relax, and let people be who they want to be.

J

Just want to point out a factual error here, I have 4 children because the doctor wouldn't give my husband a vasectomy when I wasn't sure I was ready for it.

It's also not true that men who have cosmetic surgery attract no comment. Of course they do. Factory workers ridicule a manager with pectoral implants just as much as an HR manager who comes back from holiday in Turkey with a DD.

I appreciate this doesn't back up your narrative though.

I think lip fillers are fugly, so are massive ear plugs, overdoing tattoos in visible places and orange face make up. As long as I continue to be free to not do it myself, carry on. I'm fairly ugly too, just through laziness about my appearance.
I also think it's not unreasonable to expect people to be wearing clothes and therefore camera ready when they're working. I always get dressed for work, partly because communication is more than words.

« Reply #64 on: 08 January, 2022, 06:47:04 pm »

As someone with tattoos, the oldest 30 years old, newest 3 years old, I view them as permanent - and take the time to think them through before getting one. I’d actively avoid a place that offers removal as well. The risk of wanting a removal for something spur of the moment does seem real, though I’ve had between a day and 6 months wait from asking to anything buzzing happening. But this is all unforced free will stuff. It’s not outside the owner’s control (with the caveats you mention) so why would anyone else pay for their poor judgement?

I lost track of the snip discussion. I’ve had it. I didn’t need to take a letter from Mrs Dan, though she did collect me after. It’s a bit sore. Lemsip and a wank will get most through that :)

« Reply #65 on: 10 January, 2022, 04:39:45 pm »

It's certainly not what happened to me when I had my snip (NHS, performed by my GP after consultation with Mrs Legs and me).

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #66 on: 10 January, 2022, 06:48:03 pm »
Nor I.

I had it done privately, after a referral from my GP, and my wife (Mk1 version, not current version) and I had to attend the private clinic for a grilling, before they agreed to do it.  If my wife had not been enthusiastically in agreement, they would not have done it for someone without children.

One of the preconditions for a relationship with wife No2 was that I did not want children.  My response to her was along the lines of "Just as well, 'cos it ain't happening!"

I'm still waiting for my tax breaks due to not placing extra load on the state, through not having children.
Wombat

« Reply #67 on: 10 January, 2022, 06:57:32 pm »
I don't how anyone could claim that men won't get ridiculed for plastic surgery. Men might get even more.