Author Topic: accidental clicks  (Read 1306 times)

ian

accidental clicks
« on: 22 January, 2022, 10:07:37 pm »
Sometimes, noodling around the record collection, an errant finger clicks on some forgotten album and the past zooms into the present before you can stop it and it's all rather canorous and nice so you let it go.

This is why I'm now listening to the forgotten Sidi Bou Said and it's rather good, a sort of British Breeders, though with an off-kilter folkish tinge and when they roar, they roar. Which is nice enough to crank up the speakers to a volume where the cats have opted to move upstairs and the neighbours are looking at Zoopla.

Only found one album (Brooches), I suspect the others (Bodies, Obsession) are – help me, Rhonda – on cassette in the attic. Fortunately, some kind soul uploaded them to YouTube as they're not on Apple Music (or anywhere else). Anyway, must go pogo to Sticky Vomit.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: accidental clicks
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:02:10 pm »
Err, yes, well, hmm... Let's just say I don't think Mrs P was mightily impressed by The Enid.

« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:10:44 pm »
By the same method - noodling, misfingering - I came across this recently. It speaks volumes in respect of me having too much of a good thing in my life that I bought this via Bandcamp more than a year ago, and then promptly forgot about it. It deserves to be remembered/more widely known because it comes from a place of real pain and speaks to many. A portion of the profits go to food banks and, if you listen and appreciate it, I would encourage you to purchase the download and contribute in some small way.

https://youtu.be/WcMovG2SRN8

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2022, 01:08:24 am »
Sometimes, noodling around the record collection, an errant finger clicks on some forgotten album and the past zooms into the present before you can stop it and it's all rather canorous and nice so you let it go.

The advantage of having DJ Random play your tunes for you is that everything gets played eventually, so should a forgotten gem jump out at you, you can always pause him and play the album.  Alternatively, you can mutter “What the fuck possessed me to buy that*?” and bung the files into long-term storage in some forgotten corner of a NAS that is forever terrible music.  There is, however, a mandatory period between first hearing Trout Mask Replica and going back to try it again which, at least for normal people, is between twenty and thirty years.

Err, yes, well, hmm... Let's just say I don't think Mrs P was mightily impressed by The Enid.

I cannot say I am entirely surprised.  We saw them once, supporting whichever band John Wetton was in that week, and have never felt the slightest inclination to repeat the experience.

* Words Of Betrayal by Beyond All Reason.  Emo shite of the very worst sort imaginable.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2022, 01:12:28 am »
Random DJ might play everything eventually, but…

Do you set it to not repeat?
Have you worked out how long it takes to listen to everything?
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2022, 01:27:47 am »
Random DJ might play everything eventually, but…

Do you set it to not repeat?
Have you worked out how long it takes to listen to everything?

1: Yes.  DJ Random is an iTunes Smart Playlist, so I tell him to play Stuffs* at random which has a play count of 0.  Then reset the play count on the whole lot and start again.
b: Last time it took him two and a bit years at ~7-8 hours a day.  Twenty-five tracks averages out at about 1h 50m but ICBA to do the maths at this time of night.

* where album artist != BBC Radio, plus one or two other caveats

ian

« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2022, 06:49:03 pm »
I confess, I don't often listen to the older stuff, the songs I like get playlisted, the rest of it disappears into memory. I mostly live in the now. Still, it was nice to stumble into something I'd forgotten even existed.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2022, 09:40:08 am »
I quite often set the iPod in the car to All Songs and Shuffle.  I refer to it as Radio CET.  At current count there are 48.7 days worth of music (which is about 48.7 times as much as the average radio station playlist and covers, according to Apple Music 17 different genres, which is about 15 more than the average radio station.  It's all stuff I've liked enough to keep for some reason, so there's very little that I truly don't like, although some things that aren't right for my current mood.  Quite often it picks up something I'd forgotten about for no good reason, or a sample from Classic Rock that I've overlooked and decide I like second time around. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2022, 10:17:55 am »
Bah!

I only have 38.1 days  ;D

ian

« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2022, 12:12:28 pm »
I can't find the setting that tells me how many days of music I have in my library. Sure it used to be there somewhere.

« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2022, 12:19:00 pm »
I confess to having misread this thread title as accidental dicks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2022, 12:22:15 pm »
I can't find the setting that tells me how many days of music I have in my library. Sure it used to be there somewhere.

If you are using Apple Music App it is hidden away in the hidden Status bar.

View : Show Status Bar

ian

« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2022, 12:25:00 pm »
Ah, that's where it went. Alas, only 21.5 days and 7.5k songs and 859 albums.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2022, 12:57:20 pm »

Often a result of accidental clicks...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #14 on: 25 January, 2022, 01:13:59 pm »
203.2 days / 4926 albums / 61743 “songs”.  Songs is a somewhat elastic term, and not one that I would apply to for e.g. episodes of “The Infinite Monkey Cage” or certain Sonic Youth tracks, but that’s FruitCo for you.

ian

« Reply #15 on: 25 January, 2022, 04:07:17 pm »

Some people think I do these things on purpose. I'm also the King of Kerning.

« Reply #16 on: 25 January, 2022, 05:21:44 pm »

Some people think I do these things on purpose. I'm also the King of Kerning.

Der Kerningkönig?