Author Topic: Chris Boardman - The Final Hour - Monday, 14 July 2008, 8:00PM - 9:00PM  (Read 5660 times)

LEE

If it's the same one I saw a couple of years ago, it's the best cycling program I have ever seen.  I think I may have held my breath for the entire event.

Pain, Pain and more Pain

If it's the same one I saw a couple of years ago, it's the best cycling program I have ever seen.  I think I may have held my breath for the entire event.

Pain, Pain and more Pain

I met someone who watched Chris Broadman on one of his hour records at Manchester Velodrome.
They told me that Eddy Merckx was watching and was moved to tears because he had never seen anyone try so hard and suffer so much.

D0m1n1c Burford

Pain, Pain and more Pain

Judging from the few short clips I have seen, it may well be. 

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
When Chris Boardman set the first 'Athlete's Hour' in 2000 I tried to get tickets for the velodrome but was several thousand away from even the bottom of the list.

Eurosport showed it live so I had the afternoon off work instead.

Possibly THE most exciting cycling I have ever seen.

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Didn't see the the record, but Chris made an appearance at the World Track champs 2 days later when I was there. He was still hobbling around like an old man then.

rr

When Chris Boardman set the first 'Athlete's Hour' in 2000 I tried to get tickets for the velodrome but was several thousand away from even the bottom of the list.

Eurosport showed it live so I had the afternoon off work instead.

Possibly THE most exciting cycling I have ever seen.

luv'n'stuff

J

I saw him do his superman hour, I just turned up payed on the door and watched

Really Ancien

Can anyone put their hand on their heart and say who the current holder is off the top of their head. We could when it was a Brit. But now?

Damon.

gonzo

Dang, I can't watch it on-line. Argh.

Can anyone put their hand on their heart and say who the current holder is off the top of their head. We could when it was a Brit. But now?

Damon.

Not of the top of my head but the record stood until 2005 when Ondřej Sosenka beat it by about 300 metres. His record hasnt been beaten yet.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

I could, but that's because I'm sad.

UCI Hour: Ondrej Sosenka
Other Hour: Chris Boardman
Other Other Hour: Damjan Zabovnik (87.109 km last w/e :o)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Really Ancien

I could, but that's because I'm sad.

UCI Hour: Ondrej Sosenka
Other Hour: Chris Boardman
Other Other Hour: Damjan Zabovnik (87.109 km last w/e :o)

Confusion surrounds the status of the UCI hour, Sosenka has the athletes hour which Boardman held until 2005.
BiciRace.com :: News :: July 2005
Boardman still has the 'old' record using the now banned 'superman' position.

Damon.

bikenerd

I didn't think that Sosenka's record had been verified yet, due to using a carbon frame?  i.e. the UCI is doing what it does best: arguing a point for years and years... :)
Here's the official list from the UCI (confusion abounds): UCI hour record

Really Ancien

The UCI probably just don't like Moser. but a Brit still has the official record, hurrah!

Damon.

Anyone else spot his tiny package when on his home-trainer in his son's old bedroom?

:sick:

Anyone else spot his tiny sweaty package when on his home-trainer in his son's old bedroom?

fixed that for you.

Ew.. 

Did you see it too?  Not very flattering was it..

I'm watching it tonight on video - I'll keep an eye out.

LEE

Anyone else spot his tiny package when on his home-trainer in his son's old bedroom?

No, but then again I'm heterosexual

I enjoyed the idea and most of the content, in an abstract sort of way.

I think Mr Boardman and Nigel Mansell graduated with honours from the same university of charisma though.

No, but then again I'm heterosexual

Methinks she doth protest too much!

LEE

I enjoyed the idea and most of the content, in an abstract sort of way.

I think Mr Boardman and Nigel Mansell graduated with honours from the same university of charisma though.

Hmm, that's a bit cruel.  I know cardboard boxes that get invited to more parties than Nigel Mansell.
Mansell was a total waste of all the possibilities that a successful career in F1 can bring.  He reminded me of a Brummie 'Marvin the Android'.

See: Eddie Irvine and/or James Hunt for how an F1 career should be used properly.

From what I have heard Mansell doesn't get invited to parties because he is actually a rather nasty piece of work.

<legal disclaimer:  i don't know whether the above is true>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

Nah.  Boardman has a sense of humour.  The reason Mansell won Sports Personality Of The Year was because the only other candidate that year was a snooker table.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime