Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814826 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23100 on: 07 April, 2020, 12:55:40 pm »
MAYBE     This thread should be locked until after lockdown ends??

I don't think so. This place in general is pretty good at self policing. Those of us that disagree with other will just remove ourselves from the conversation. It's not POBI after all.

I think that the thread should remain open until such a time as nobody posting to the forum (and we have posters from outside the UK) is permitted to ride outside.

I reckon it's a valuable source of actual cycling content for those who aren't able to, or who are limited to some tedious local loop.  (Indeed, YACFers know that tedious local loops are greatly improved by sharing, even virtually.)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23101 on: 07 April, 2020, 01:37:11 pm »
Ok, 46km todays loop, 270km so far in April, and 976km in march..........ducks head

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23102 on: 07 April, 2020, 01:43:04 pm »
MAYBE     This thread should be locked until after lockdown ends??

If you wish to propose such a course of action, you're going to have to make a case for it. I don't see one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23103 on: 07 April, 2020, 04:42:30 pm »
Just back from my usual winter loop.  The sun was out, the breeze was light, and I had a nice clean chain.

Found a couple of those speeding nobber drivers that everyone's been talking about.   >:(

And large numbers of irregular cyclists.   :thumbsup:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23104 on: 07 April, 2020, 04:47:09 pm »
Out to the local Garlogie 10TT course for a blast, then back, for 35k in total.

*Way* too windy for that!
Also held up by cars twice.
Once at the dead turn, and once when they Had to Get Past, in order to then slow right down in front of me to turn right.

« Reply #23105 on: 07 April, 2020, 05:36:21 pm »
4th day in a row. Did about 30km 500m, similar to last night. Really enjoying climbing the 15-20% grades around Bradfield.

« Reply #23106 on: 07 April, 2020, 06:02:26 pm »
Out for just over 90 minutes. Did a similar loop to Sunday. Up to Polegate, across through Jevington and Friston, down into East Dean and round Birling Gap/Beachy Head before dropping back into Eastbourne through Meads Village.

Very nice in the sun. Had to stop for a few moments around the Birling Gap section as I wasn't reeling the couple ahead of me fast enough to make an overtake stick but they were a tad slower than me. Let them get ahead a bit and then set off again. Went past them further up as they'd stopped in a layby for a photo break. I think they were electric bikes which explains why they were pedalling a fairly slow cadence without seeming to push very hard on the pedals but maybe I just want to think that because I'm very slow at the moment always.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

bairn again

« Reply #23107 on: 07 April, 2020, 08:46:10 pm »
Regular 50k out from west Edinburgh and back solo.  Light SW winds made for pacy conditions so 27kph overall all well within threshold. 

Noticeably more vehicular traffic today maybe the nice weather brought them out. 

thats 250km for the month so far at an average of about 25kph.   

Im on week 4 of enforced wfh and getting out on my bike for 90 mns or thereabouts every other day is most theraputic.   

« Reply #23108 on: 07 April, 2020, 08:56:58 pm »
Oh yeah, I've hardly cycled this year. My new (well five years now but still) is just a bit too far/time consuming to do as much as I'd like.

But now we're in lockdown and at home all day I really need to get out and focus on something that's further than a couple metres from my face.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #23109 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:34:21 pm »
I forced myself out again today using the trice and the Garmin touring circular routing set to  40 km. It took me on a loop north of beaconsfield and back via Gerrard's cross
I will probably stick to 20km loops from now on because some posters on here are making me feel guilty about today's ride even though I enjoyed it.  I feel much safer on the trice than I did on a bike and feel that the  chance of me making extra work for the  NHS is less than some. Also if I am unlucky enough to get the virus the fitter I am may marginal improve my chances of recovery  .
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #23110 on: 08 April, 2020, 12:07:22 am »
Just to add some perspective on the risk of having a cycling related accident during the current crisis, taken from the RoSPA website:

More accidents happen at home than anywhere else

Every year there are approximately 6,000 deaths as the result of a home accident

More than two million children under the age of 15 experience accidents in and around the home every year, for which they are taken to accident and emergency units

Children under the age of five and people over 65 (particularly those over 75) are most likely to have an accident at home

Over 76,000 children under the age of 14 are admitted for treatment of which over 40% are under 5 years of age

Falls are the most common accidents, which can cause serious injury at any time of life. The risk increases with age

More women than men over the age of 65 die as the result of an accident in the home

Every year over 62 children under 14 die as a result of an accident in the home

Around 25,000 under-fives attend A&E departments each year after being accidentally poisoned

An average of 13 children a day under the age of 4 suffer a severe injury from a burn or a scald. A hot drink can still scald a small child up to 15
minutes after it is made

More accidents happen in the lounge/living room than anywhere else in the home.

Every year more than 4,200 children are involved in falls on the stairs and 4,000 children under the age of 15 are injured falling from windows

Boys have more accidents than girls

The cost to society of UK home accident injuries has been estimated at £45.63 billion annually.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #23111 on: 08 April, 2020, 07:39:55 am »
You more likely to have an accident the nearer you are to your own home.

Clearly it is better to live somewhere else.
Move Faster and Bake Things

S2L

« Reply #23112 on: 08 April, 2020, 08:20:46 am »
I forced myself out again today using the trice and the Garmin touring circular routing set to  40 km. It took me on a loop north of beaconsfield and back via Gerrard's cross
I will probably stick to 20km loops from now on because some posters on here are making me feel guilty about today's ride even though I enjoyed it.  I feel much safer on the trice than I did on a bike and feel that the  chance of me making extra work for the  NHS is less than some. Also if I am unlucky enough to get the virus the fitter I am may marginal improve my chances of recovery  .

I used to live round there... Chalfont St. Giles...  :thumbsup: Beautiful, this time of the year, with the bluebells beginning to make an appearance...
Your 40 km ride is mighty sensible, I follow people on Strava who regularly post 100 km + rides and nobody has anything to say about them.

The way I see it is that if you spend 4-5 hours on your bike, this is time you are not going to spend in a shop, where the chances of spreading the virus are far greater. Yes, you could spend that time locked at home and have a cast iron guarantee not to spread the virus, but then other problems will arise, like mental health issues, lack of vitamin D and possibly even injuries trying to do some new and fancy workout advertised on TV. Not to speak about the dangers of doing DIY.

If you have to deal with haters who complain about your 40 km loop, just get rid of them from your life, they are not worth bothering... every now and again it is good practice to do a bit of pruning on social media

« Reply #23113 on: 08 April, 2020, 09:41:18 am »

I used to live round there... Chalfont St. Giles...  :thumbsup: Beautiful, this time of the year, with the bluebells beginning to make an appearance...
Your 40 km ride is mighty sensible, I follow people on Strava who regularly post 100 km + rides and nobody has anything to say about them.

The way I see it is that if you spend 4-5 hours on your bike, this is time you are not going to spend in a shop, where the chances of spreading the virus are far greater. Yes, you could spend that time locked at home and have a cast iron guarantee not to spread the virus, but then other problems will arise, like mental health issues, lack of vitamin D and possibly even injuries trying to do some new and fancy workout advertised on TV. Not to speak about the dangers of doing DIY.

If you have to deal with haters who complain about your 40 km loop, just get rid of them from your life, they are not worth bothering... every now and again it is good practice to do a bit of pruning on social media

There's no need to be like that. People who don't share your views are not necessarily 'haters'.

Just watched Dimbleby remembering the liberation of Belsen. Such things start so simply, just a few whispers about 'others'.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #23114 on: 08 April, 2020, 09:48:08 am »
A friend had an accident on Saturday, was overtaken then the driver hammered on the brakes . Result was 15 stitches in the head, reported to police and being charged, a driver stopped and phoned police.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #23115 on: 08 April, 2020, 10:01:38 am »
This culture glorifies speeding and the 'fuck everyone else I've got a big car' attitude. That is the danger which this country won't confront. Cars are to Brits what guns are to Americans.

There is no good reason why anyone in this country should be able to own a death cage that can go 110 mph. Coming across some car advert with some smug well-to-do looking man flooring an accelerator pedal actually makes me nauseous.

Easier to just pin the blame on the cyclist and demand we take the blame for 'selfishness'...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

S2L

« Reply #23116 on: 08 April, 2020, 11:19:54 am »

There's no need to be like that. People who don't share your views are not necessarily 'haters'.

People who go around shaming others for behaviours which are perfectly legal and endorsed by the authorities are indeed "haters"... like it or not. Witch hunters, whichever way you prefer to call them...

« Reply #23117 on: 08 April, 2020, 11:37:35 am »

People who go around shaming others for behaviours which are perfectly legal and endorsed by the authorities are indeed "haters"... like it or not. Witch hunters, whichever way you prefer to call them...

I presume I'm one of the "haters". 

You say cycling however long and far is "perfectly legal and endorsed by the authorities".  How does that tie in with:

"What are the rules on exercise?
If you have to go outside you should stay more than 2m (6ft) apart from anyone other than members of your own household. This is what's known as social distancing.
Government guidance urges people to "stay local", use open spaces near their home and avoid unnecessary travel
Guidance to police says that the public shouldn't be sanctioned for "travelling a reasonable distance to exercise" - although no definition has been given
People should only exercise once a day, although in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland there is no legal ban on exercising more than that. In Wales, which sets its own health regulations, exercising more than once a day is now illegal - and potentially a criminal offence
You can exercise alone or with members of your own household
Gatherings of more than two in parks and public spaces have been banned (ruling out most team sports)
Dogs can be walked as part of a person's daily exercise
No mention is given to how long you can exercise for. But Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove has said: "I would have thought for most people a walk of up to an hour, a run of 30 minutes or a cycle ride of between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate."

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51506729

Do what you like, cycle where you want for as long as you want but please don't attempt to justify it and pretend that all the reams of advice somehow don't apply to you because you're on a bike.  Looking for loopholes or playing semantics is the refuge of the scoundrel and I'm sure you'd be the first to condemn it in others (i.e. motorists).

The advice couldn't be clearer - STAY LOCAL.  What part of that is so hard to understand?
The sound of one pannier flapping

S2L

« Reply #23118 on: 08 April, 2020, 11:57:36 am »

The advice couldn't be clearer - STAY LOCAL.  What part of that is so hard to understand?

As a matter of fact, I do stay local, I don't think I am ever more than 12 miles from home, but I don't shame those who go out for a 100 km loop.
When asked, they implied that "stay local" meant don't drive to the National park for a walk or a cycle and seemingly, as long as you head out of your house with your bicycle, then you are not breaching the guideline. Apparently, you can even drive 10 minutes to go for a walk.

That said, I also agree that we should all be sensible about this outdoor exercise and I also agree that going out for 6 hours is a bit rich, but I am also pragmatic and as long as they don't do any harm to anybody else and stay away from people, then there is nothing intrinsically wrong in what they are doing and since they don't breach any guideline, I don't see the problem.
I prefer that t someone heading out every morning to buy a pint of milk and a loaf of bread, which I do see happening a lot.

DO we need clearer guidelines? We probably do...

« Reply #23119 on: 08 April, 2020, 12:10:12 pm »
Why doesn't the forum only allow your real name. Why hide behind the screen, pretty shure everything would calm down. Winding people up face to face is fine, its just between the two of you😀

Davef

« Reply #23120 on: 08 April, 2020, 12:18:57 pm »

Either you or bbc or you are taking it out of context.  I think it is probably a good idea as do British cycling but it is not as far as I can see govt advice. The only mention of the words “stay local” as far as I can see is

14. Can I drive to a national park or other green space to walk?
We advise you to stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily.

You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only by yourself or within your household, not in groups.

We ask you to keep 2 metres apart from others outside your household at all times when outdoors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #23121 on: 08 April, 2020, 12:49:22 pm »
Doing a 100 km loop from your front door is "local" in the context of cycling. If you ever Google "London cycling routes" e.g. a london-windsor-london route will inevitably turn up because that's what it is - a very entry-level and standard ride for any cyclist. In my university club LWL was the first ride we'd run for beginners (in 3 groups varying in tempo with some optional hills). I personally led the slow group which had a French chap in a neglected Carrera wearing a hoodie, trackie bottoms and a rucksack. It's eminently a local loop.

What isn't staying local is e.g. getting the train to Bristol and doing one of Will's rides and coming back.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #23122 on: 08 April, 2020, 12:53:11 pm »

Either you or bbc or you are taking it out of context.  I think it is probably a good idea as do British cycling but it is not as far as I can see govt advice. The only mention of the words “stay local” as far as I can see is

I'm certainly not taking it out of context - quoted in full from the BBC.  I don't think they're misquoting either. 

Some (i.e. bludger) are saying that unless there is a specific law or regulation that prohibits certain activities (i.e. cycling long distances away from home) then he will continue doing it.  That fails to understand:

1) If there was an individual "law" to cover every single possible outdoor activity determining time, distance, etc there would be piles of legalese.

2) There is the letter of the law, the "spirit" of the law and then guidance (i.e. Gove's stuff).  Despite there not being a specific regulation banning long-distance cycling, the "spirit" of the law is pretty damn clear.  Looking for loopholes is fairly pathetic in a national/global crisis IMO.

Could the guidance be clearer?  Possibly, but as it stands the enforcement authorities are being allowed discretion (which has backfired with a few over-zealous plods) which in my opinion is the best way to go about things, certainly initially.  See how people are behaving and adjust accordingly.

All we are really being asked to do is seriously consider limiting our daily rides and keeping them local for a few weeks so we can help to avoid a total lockdown as those in Spain and Paris are having to endure. Is that such a hardship?
The sound of one pannier flapping

Davef

« Reply #23123 on: 08 April, 2020, 01:04:08 pm »
It is not the current government advice.

The words “stay local” only come in the advice relating travel to open green space to walk. At one point it might have said stay local in the paragraph about exercise but it has been reworded to be more precise.

I quoted the entire paragraph in the current guidance that uses the words “stay local” . You or the bbc may infer from the advice that you should not travel great distance to find an open space to walk that you should therefore keep your cycle rides close to your home, but this is not what is being said.

I have been told the reason for the advice is that if you travel a great distance to walk it is likely others will also go to the same place and it will be crowded and furthermore having travelled a great distance you will be reluctant to just turn around and go home.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #23124 on: 08 April, 2020, 01:06:26 pm »
English is a beautiful language.  It has given us geniuses such as the late-lamented John Prine.  There are so many synonyms, so many shades of meaning.  It's fabulous.  But I think you'll struggle to find any dictionary that equates disapproval with hate.  Frankly, that's just silly - in the usual sense of silly.